Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Can you recommend Clean secular Books for 4th grade girl
1  2  3  Next

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 9:42 pm
We really prefer jewish books but I have a hard time finding good ones, also they are expensive and I feel like if I know of a specific not jewish book that is good I may be able to find good deals online.

by clean I mean no bad language, preferable not boy/girl relationships or even discussion about it. etc.. I think you know what kind I'm talking about. Doesn't have to be newly written.

Thank you!

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 10:13 pm
From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, by E.L. Konigsburg

Most books by Avi are great. Mary Downing Hahn is also amazing, but a few of her books are not so appropriate. Most are totally clean.

Anything by Frances Hodgeson Burnett.

Andrew Clements is also a good author- though I can't guarantee that all of his books are 100% clean. Frindle is great.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 10:19 pm
Half Magic by Edward eager
All of Edward Eagers books
The Betsy Tacy books by maud heart Lovelace (from the book Heaven to Betsy and on, they do talk about boys, so only give her the earlier ones in the series)
The Ramona quimby and Henry Huggins books
The Bruno and Boots books (I forgot the author, but all his books are really funny and cute)
Ginger Pye (and all other books by that author, who's name I also forgot)

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 10:20 pm
I loved Little Women when I was in grade school. I read it every summer.

I also loved Black Beauty.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 10:22 pm
Thanks! I'll look into these.

Worlds best mom, actually I got her frindle already and it was very good, and I was just searching on amazon for the other andrew clements' books and I see they all have something to it that I'm not comfortable with. Some are mentioned in the reviews and some are just obvious to me from the summary. So I guess Frindle is his safest, which is probably why it's also the most popular of his batch.

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 10:27 pm
Not sure if Gordon Korman's books are good for fourth grade, unless she is on a higher reading level. I loved The Twinkie Squad (I think I read it in sixth grade though).

STovah

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 10:31 pm
The Mysterious Benedict Society books are good, also the classic Hardy Boys and Nancy Drews are nice.

readines55

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 10:36 pm
American girl doll series
Amelia bedelia young adult version-got series in costco
Fancy Nancy young adult version-costco
Rimona series

librarygirl

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 10:36 pm
Bruno and boots, "the war with mr. Wizz let has romance.

Try the shoe books by Noel streatfeild, the 14 wizard of oz books, the doll people series by ann m martin, roald dahl, a lot of the American girl doll books, especially the mysteries and there's a new series by selfors called the imaginary veterinarian that's cute.

gibberish

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 10:37 pm
A user mentioned in another thread that chinuch.org has a list of clean books. It's worth checking it out!

summer0808

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 10:39 pm
I just heard about Snow Treasures. I bot on Amazon and it's very nice.

I remember Nancy Drew (whichever one I read) did always have some boyfriend.

also Mr Poppers Penguins.

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 10:45 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
Not sure if Gordon Korman's books are good for fourth grade, unless she is on a higher reading level. I loved The Twinkie Squad (I think I read it in sixth grade though).

Korman is very diverse, he has books appropriate for all ages but also books that are inappropriate at many levels. However, when suitable, they are REALLY REALLY GREAT. So my suggestion is look for them but then screen them well. Twinkie Squad I don't recall whether there was anything objectionable, but I think the overall idea is a little too mature for 4th grade. 6-8th more like it. Will try to remember which titles were younger. Bruno and Boots are hysterical but might offend some people's sensitivities. There are girlfriends involved and a lot of chutzpadik mischief. It's hard to say whether I would approve of my kids reading them when they are old enough, because I found them so FUN. I am thinking yes because it is so clearly meant to be fun and not educational/inspirational but maybe when they are a little more solidly developed than 4th grade.

Another vote for Mysterious Benedict Society (though I HATE Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys.) What I loved about it is that it is interesting and clever but 1000% clean. No language, no romance, very very mild violence but no blood or anything.

Clements has some other great titles but I guess whether you find objection depends on your threshold. I was reading the rated book list on Chinuch.org and was astonished at the types of things some people found problematic, so I guess to each their own. But if you find Clements problematic, then maybe Korman isn't for you after all, though maybe the younger books are more innocent. It's hard to say without knowing exactly what your sensitivity is to.

LOVED the Edward Eager books when I was young (Half Magic et al) but I know some have hashkafic objections to this kind of fantasy. It is very clearly fiction/fantasy but if that's your gripe then there you have it. But if you can handle it, it's a lot of fun.

voira

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 11:21 pm
Not sure if these are age appropriate but I loved these books when I was little:

Anne of green gables
pollyanna
the railroad children
the boxcar children series
little lord fauntleroy
most of Avi's books (I remember the barn being not so clean)
the naughtiest girl in school series
little woman
heidi
a little princess
the secret garden

IM sure there are more, will post when I remember

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 11:29 pm
Oh, Boxcar Children - oldies but goodies! Very clean and appropriate, and just about the right age level (a little on the easier side but not too boring for 4th grader either)

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 11:41 pm
The Borrowers. But some of the parents do kiss.

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 11:50 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
The Borrowers. But some of the parents do kiss.
There's also some young romance IIRC. The clean old-fashioned type but if you want NO romance, well, that limits the selection quite a lot...

Esther23

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 12:11 am
Little house on the prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder, boxcar children.

Reality

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 12:19 am
No flying in the house
The Indian in the cupboard
Because of Winn Dixie
The Westing Game

happy to be me

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 12:27 am
Haven't read the responses so this might be repetitious.

The series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
A Little Princess
The Boxcar Children
The Bobbsey Twins
The Great Brain

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 12:40 am
A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children