Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
A problem with tenant
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 6:34 pm
I recently bought a duplex in lakewood with existing tenants. one of the tenants yelled at my dh when he called to raise the rent. he was paying below the market value. he cursed him and dh was extremely nice he also managed to say that hes buying a house. didnt say when he will move. dh gave him three months to calm down. at this point its more then that. and reminded him of the raise. he went up 75$ and just made the raise amount on his own. now he tells dh that its not fair, he has to figure his life out and he bought a house bla bla bla, and his area is 1650 but he only gave 1500. hes acting out like a little kid. (he really wanted to buy the house but I dont know why he didnt, hes upset about that) doesn t concern me.
dh was nice till now. now he warned him and giving him toll next month to shape up. after that he might have to send an eviction notice. although I dont think he will. I really only want to hear if people in lakewood do evictions? how do you get out a tenant that decided not to pay what you asked for? does it affect the schools I send to? I bought this house to have income and to pay my bills. and for some extra. otherwise I would have done something else with my money. this was bought as a business. besides if they guy would speak and act like a mentch. dh is the softest person he would be nice. so lets put that away. but seriously I bought it not for a headache, but for the reall reasons. no pitying here. thats for another discussion. do people really put the landlords here in lakewood through such a hard time? no I dont want to think so. cause the other tenant is very mentchlich. paying on the first like a mentch.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 6:36 pm
and another added thing. dh fixed everything that was a problem. he said whatever the problem is tell me I will take care of. and did so.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 6:37 pm
Ha. Tenants always put their landlords through a hard time.

If you're going into this as a business, you should know that.

You're welcome.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 6:42 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Ha. Tenants always put their landlords through a hard time.

If you're going into this as a business, you should know that.

You're welcome.

This.

Plus, if you think you can evict a tenant and they'll be gone in a week think again. It could take more than a year, and legal bills. Being a landlord isn't so much fun. (Anon, because I am one.)

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 6:45 pm
As a tenant, this post made me sad.

Just because market value is 1650 doesn't mean old tenants meet that price. You do have the right, but can you also have a heart?...

(I am displacing my anger at the insane housing prices on you.

Sorry.

But when I think of how hard we work to pay a ridiculous percentage of it to our landlord, and he keeps raising the rent... And hearing it so coldly from the other side... I know, business is business...)

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 6:52 pm
amother wrote:
As a tenant, this post made me sad.

Just because market value is 1650 doesn't mean old tenants meet that price. You do have the right, but can you also have a heart?...

Sorry.

But when I think of how hard we work to pay a ridiculous percentage of it to our landlord, and he keeps raising the rent... And hearing it so coldly from the other side... I know, business is business...)

Before I was a landlord I was a tenant for many years, and an outspoken tenant activist who worked with landlord/tenant group organizations to keep tenants from being taken advantage of. Now I find myself with a slew of amazing tenants and two who are wretched, and to those two we are the nasty landlords. They make our lives difficult. It's really hard to living among people who actively dislike you.

If I could do it again I wouldn't be a landlord, and the wretched tenants make it harder to sell. This isn't fun.

Business is business, people are people, and I think that most of the time a middle ground can be found. Or you can buy out your tenants.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:07 pm
[quote="amother"]As a tenant, this post made me sad.

Sorry.

But when I think of how hard we work to pay a ridiculous percentage of it to our landlord, and he keeps raising the rent... And hearing it so coldly from the other side... I know, business is business...)[/quote]

do you ask your grocery to give you milk for cheaper? he should have a heart? and why is it landlords that get the hard time? why not the sheitel machers or the groceries? we are all in it for the same reason.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:12 pm
[quote="amother"]As a tenant, this post made me sad.

Sorry.

But when I think of how hard we work to pay a ridiculous percentage of it to our landlord, and he keeps raising the rent... And hearing it so coldly from the other side... I know, business is business...)[/quote]

the rent prices are directly related to the price of buying the house. if we dont make money out of it we wont take you as tenants. you wouldnt have where to live. I didnt choose to do chessed here. I hope you understand that. but when hashem helps you and you will be a landlord you will understand this quite well. so think before.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:19 pm
what middle ground? I gave it for cheaper and hes still not happy. I am charging 1600 as opposed to 1650. is that not good enough? well he decided to charge himself less and only paid 1500. I call this stealing. if you want to have something in the grocery that you know you cant afford will you say give it to me for cheaper? and if you do you do it with mentchlichkiet. and if they owner says no, its no. not you put down a lower amount and just ignore the owner. I would never in my life do that. you know I am not well off even though I have this house. and I have to think twice before I buy something. I know what it means to live on a tight budget. trust me. but if I want to live in a house that is prime location I have to pay. if you cant you dont just steal, you go to a cheaper neighborhood.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:25 pm
all these tenants seem to have money for matching clothes and bugaboos. but for rent they dont. listen I have been around for some time. but this is ridiculous. and how about the wigs they buy and dont bat an eyelash about the price? why is it for a place to live you will give landlords such nasty time but not when it comes to other "very important things" when there are cheaper ones on the market. if you want it then pay for it. thats what I have been doing all my life. and still do. people choose to do chesed when and where they feel they want. its beautilful to do chesed here too. I just cant afford it.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:26 pm
If they were paying 1500 until now, you should have raised it to 1550 at most. Yes, it may be less than what you could get with a new tenant, and it may not cover your costs, but it's unfair to raise rent by such a large amount.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:32 pm
amother wrote:
all these tenants seem to have money for matching clothes and bugaboos. but for rent they dont. listen I have been around for some time. but this is ridiculous. and how about the wigs they buy and dont bat an eyelash about the price? why is it for a place to live you will give landlords such nasty time but not when it comes to other "very important things" when there are cheaper ones on the market. if you want it then pay for it. thats what I have been doing all my life. and still do. people choose to do chesed when and where they feel they want. its beautilful to do chesed here too. I just cant afford it.

You're really not doing yourself any favors here. Frankly, this post alone screams troll.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:32 pm
but why should I give it to him for that much cheaper then what all others in the neighborhood are paying? I sold a house before this and the new owner charged the old tenant from 1700 to 2300.. yes its exactly. ok that was in brooklyn. so that makes sense. but would you if you bought a house why would you do that. noway, I wont agree with you. I need to cover my expenses. thats not my real question here. I want to know how lakewooders that own houses what they do? seriously the tenant gets to control whats going on?! would you rent an appartment after I evicted him?

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:35 pm
amother wrote:
do you ask your grocery to give you milk for cheaper? he should have a heart? and why is it landlords that get the hard time? why not the sheitel machers or the groceries? we are all in it for the same reason.

If they would keep raising the prices as often, there would be a huge outcry, definitely.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:37 pm
amother wrote:
the rent prices are directly related to the price of buying the house. if we dont make money out of it we wont take you as tenants. you wouldnt have where to live. I didnt choose to do chessed here. I hope you understand that. but when hashem helps you and you will be a landlord you will understand this quite well. so think before.

But I'm talking about the tenants that are already there, the ones you are planning to evict.

sky

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:38 pm
Is there a contract?

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:40 pm
amother wrote:
what middle ground? I gave it for cheaper and hes still not happy. I am charging 1600 as opposed to 1650. is that not good enough? well he decided to charge himself less and only paid 1500. I call this stealing. if you want to have something in the grocery that you know you cant afford will you say give it to me for cheaper? and if you do you do it with mentchlichkiet. and if they owner says no, its no. not you put down a lower amount and just ignore the owner. I would never in my life do that. you know I am not well off even though I have this house. and I have to think twice before I buy something. I know what it means to live on a tight budget. trust me. but if I want to live in a house that is prime location I have to pay. if you cant you dont just steal, you go to a cheaper neighborhood.

The problem I keep pointing out is that you bought a house with tenants already there. Will you really kick a family out on the street for business? This isn't a guy that walked into the grocery. Youre talking about calling the guy back as he was leaving the store with his bread and milk and asking for more money.

I said, it's your right. But don't expect the majority of us tenants to sympathize.

Lady Bug

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:40 pm
I wouldn't want to be your tenant. Standard rent increase is up to 5%. You can come in and raise his rent by a few hundred dollars, but that's not very mentchlich. You can't expect mentchlich tenants when you don't act like a mentch yourself.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:44 pm
amother wrote:
but why should I give it to him for that much cheaper then what all others in the neighborhood are paying? I sold a house before this and the new owner charged the old tenant from 1700 to 2300.. yes its exactly. ok that was in brooklyn. so that makes sense. but would you if you bought a house why would you do that. noway, I wont agree with you. I need to cover my expenses. thats not my real question here. I want to know how lakewooders that own houses what they do? seriously the tenant gets to control whats going on?! would you rent an appartment after I evicted him?

Because they were already there. You can pressure them to leave, and charge the new tenants the market price. You are stuck with the old tenants, and therefore a slow increase in rent.

If you evict a Jewish family you need to have a very good reason (like months of unpaid rent) to show your face amongst people.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 7:47 pm
amother wrote:

It's really not your business what they have money for and what they don't. You don't know what goes on behind the scenes. I pay much less in rent than what you are charging, but I buy my kids expensive clothes and shoes. You know why? Because my parents are willing to foot the bill for my kids' clothes twice a year. But for rent, we're on our own, and it's hard - there are months when we can't afford the full amount. So just because "everyone" has bugaboos and matching clothes doesn't mean that they also have money for rent. Secondly, just because everyone else has, it doesn't mean that your tenant has either.
Speaking as a tenant, it's really unfair when the landlord suddenly raises the rent without warning and by such a high amount as well. Are you sure that is the going rate? What neighborhood are you in? How long has the tenant been there? It sounds like you are the problem, not the tenant.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics