Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Will ultra orthodox be allowed to carry the new $10 bill?
1  2  Next

shoshanim999

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 8:39 pm
I'm not writing this with any intent to make fun, but I'm wondering how some of the ultra frum men will handle the new $10 bill coming out in 2019 that will feature a woman. Will men be allowed to walk around with a picture of a woman in their pocket? Will this violate tsnius rules?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 8:40 pm
I hope you're being sarcastic LOL

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 8:41 pm
Mistameh.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 8:41 pm
Why are you talking nonsense
Mashiach will be here before 2019

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 8:48 pm
I remember seeing those gold Sacagawea one-dollar coins laying around.

I'll bet we ultra-orthodoxers forced the feds to stop minting them.

LOL

a jewish woman

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 9:12 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
I'm not writing this with any intent to make fun, but I'm wondering how some of the ultra frum men will handle the new $10 bill coming out in 2019 that will feature a woman. Will men be allowed to walk around with a picture of a woman in their pocket? Will this violate tsnius rules?

Gelt is gelt. If they don't have a problem using British currency with the queen on it then they shouldn't have a problem with American currency that would feature a woman.
Oh and it seems as though Israel will be putting women on their currency as well. Check it out- http://time.com/money/3754777/.....ency/

nywife

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 9:46 pm
You're gonna have teenage boys hoarding them Rolling Eyes Wink Very Happy

June

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 3:47 am
Seriously? your question doesn't even deserve an answer.

I do think all the feminist hype around this is ridiculous. Some idiot CNN reporter asked Jack Lew why the decision was made to put the woman on the $10 instead of the $20, because $20 is a higher denomination and "more important." And Lew was forced to defend the $10 and said "the 10 dollar bill is a pretty big deal." Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I happen to agree that the if we're switching out portraits on bills, we SHOULD switch the $20. Why is Andrew Jackson on the $20? Unless he had some great accomplishment that I'm forgetting, what comes to mind when I think of his presidency is the Indian Removal Act and the Trail of Tears. Not exactly a good legacy?

But Alexander Hamilton was, to paraphrase Jack Lew, a pretty big deal. He was the first Secretary of the Treasury and one of our founding fathers. His life is also a great example of the American Dream - he was born out of wedlock, orphaned as a young teen, and was self-educated. He came to the colonies as a teenager and rose to be one of the founding fathers of the new country.

myself

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 5:30 am
The British never had a problem with it, why would the Americans?

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 6:52 am
I don't live in America, so my first thought was that there was a new bill with something to do with JC on it. What on earth is the problem with a woman?

mille

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 7:24 am
June wrote:
Seriously? your question doesn't even deserve an answer.

I do think all the feminist hype around this is ridiculous. Some idiot CNN reporter asked Jack Lew why the decision was made to put the woman on the $10 instead of the $20, because $20 is a higher denomination and "more important." And Lew was forced to defend the $10 and said "the 10 dollar bill is a pretty big deal." Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I happen to agree that the if we're switching out portraits on bills, we SHOULD switch the $20. Why is Andrew Jackson on the $20? Unless he had some great accomplishment that I'm forgetting, what comes to mind when I think of his presidency is the Indian Removal Act and the Trail of Tears. Not exactly a good legacy?

But Alexander Hamilton was, to paraphrase Jack Lew, a pretty big deal. He was the first Secretary of the Treasury and one of our founding fathers. His life is also a great example of the American Dream - he was born out of wedlock, orphaned as a young teen, and was self-educated. He came to the colonies as a teenager and rose to be one of the founding fathers of the new country.

Why not? From the world I am from, it is equally insane to photoshop out the faces of female dolls in a toy catalog, yet that's something that happened. I don't think it's so much of a stretch to ask if money with a portrait of a woman on it will be okay. After all, a doll is not even human, it's a caricature of a human, yet apparently it was still enough to get blurred.

But we can certainly glean an answer from frum chareidi jews in countries who already have women on the currency, like Britain. If there's not an issue there, there probably won't be an issue here. I certainly don't see how a curious question does not merit an answer.

Zehava

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 8:21 am
Like someone said. Gelt is gelt.

Shoelover

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 8:52 am
You have got to be kidding

shoshanim999

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 9:17 am
Some of the frum newspapers don't allow any photos of woman at all. I can see this being similar.

CatLady

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 9:47 am
If anyone has a problem with using $10.00 bills with a picture of a woman on them, they can just send them me. I have no difficulty amassing, saving and spending them.

Problem solved. You're welcome!

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 9:57 am
CatLady wrote:
If anyone has a problem with using $10.00 bills with a picture of a woman on them, they can just send them me. I have no difficulty amassing, saving and spending them.

Problem solved. You're welcome!

A new chumrah will be announced: leider, beavonoiseinu harabim, we were unable to cancel the gzar din of objectionable images being printed on gelt.

Therefore, from now on, it is praiseworthy for every man to examine his money carefully once a week on motzei shabbos, and remove from his possession all images of pritzus, and donate them to his wives and daughters to use as they see fit. In zchus of this kabalah, may Hashem bentch you with happy wives and daughters who will not ask for more money than that.

Umein kein yehi ratzon.

rising hero

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 12:26 pm
Or maybe people will put smiley face stickers to cover the woman's face. Smile Wink

DrMom

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 12:35 pm
a jewish woman wrote:
Oh and it seems as though Israel will be putting women on their currency as well. Check it out- http://time.com/money/3754777/.....ency/

We had women on our currency a while ago. Anyone remember those 10-shekel "Goldas?"

miami85

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 1:25 pm
And dont forget Susan B. Anthony dollars. In England they have Queen Elizabeth and Israel Golda Meir. I've never heard of it being an issue.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 1:46 pm
A better question would be:
Will white supremists and racists refuse to carry the new $10 bill if it shows an image of a black woman like Harriet Tubman?

(I would hope no Jew--and no human--would have an issue with whichever woman is given this great honor.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics