Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What would you think if s/o sent you this meal?
1  2  3  4  Next

ruchelbuckle

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 12:24 pm
Let's say you, BH just had kid #5. Someone sent you this for a meal:

(Assume the quantities are enough for your family)

A few packs of challah rolls (store bought)
a few packs of assorted deli (pastrami, salami, turkey, etc)
pickles
salad
watermelon-- cut up into chunks or slices
packaged babka
all paper goods
ketchup/mustard

What would you think of such meal for a kimpeturin and the family?

Details afterwards.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 12:30 pm
Honestly I'm not a big deli person so I wouldn't love it. I also tend to prefer dinner to be hot food rather than cold sandwhiches. That said Id appreciate any mean that someone made or sent. But id provably hope I had leftovers from another night to eat instead of this

rising hero

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 12:32 pm
I would think that this person is very busy or doesnt cook or is a bad cook and still wanted to help out so they went out and bought a full supper. I would appreciate it. Its quick and easy to serve for kids and its good.

Last edited by rising hero on Wed, Jun 24 2015, 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

little_mage

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 12:32 pm
I'd figure that they wanted to send a meal, but didn't have the time to cook.

Barbara

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 12:34 pm
ruchelbuckle wrote:
Let's say you, BH just had kid #5. Someone sent you this for a meal:

(Assume the quantities are enough for your family)

A few packs of challah rolls (store bought)
a few packs of assorted deli (pastrami, salami, turkey, etc)
pickles
salad
watermelon-- cut up into chunks or slices
packaged babka
all paper goods
ketchup/mustard

What would you think of such meal for a kimpeturin and the family?

Details afterwards.

That the person was kind enough to send a meal.

Not everyone is a great cook. Not everyone has the time or inclination to cook for a family of 7. Or maybe they're afraid that the recipient won't accept her level of kashrut.

I'm so sick of these "what would you think ..." threads when someone is clearly trying to be nice. If the recipient doesn't want the food, let her pass it on to a food bank, and she can cook her own meals. And, in that case, I hope no one ever gives her so much as a cookie again.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 12:35 pm
My kids would jump for joy for such a treat. I think it is a great idea. I would just tuck in some warm stuff from a take-out if I would send to kimpeturin

rising hero

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 12:37 pm
Barbara wrote:

Not everyone is a great cook. Not everyone has the time or inclination to cook for a family of 7. Or maybe they're afraid that the recipient won't accept her level of kashrut.

I'm so sick of these "what would you think ..." threads when someone is clearly trying to be nice. If the recipient doesn't want the food, let her pass it on to a food bank, and she can cook her own meals. And, in that case, I hope no one ever gives her so much as a cookie again.

Op didnt explain why shes asking. Maybe shes the one planning to send this to a kimpeturin. (True, that person should just appreciate it.)

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 12:38 pm
I would think the person wanted to treat the kimpeturin to an easy meal to serve, one that would make the kids happy.

But I agree I would add a warm soup from the takeout for a kimpeturin.

OOTforlife

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 12:39 pm
Barbara wrote:

I could definitely see the kashrut explanation. Also, maybe the person didn't volunteer but got pressed into sending something on short notice.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 12:43 pm
Not my kind of meal at all but in my world you don't get anything for free food wise

justcallmeima

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 12:59 pm
I would think: Oh wow! This is so amazing! Thank you sooo much!

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 1:01 pm
I would think YAY free food that everyone in the family likes and I didn't have to prepare or arrange or buy or remind DH to buy. How thoughtful!

moonbeam

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 1:01 pm
Seriously?

I would be extremely greatful that this woman thought of me and my family and took time out of her day to help me out. I'd be perfectly happy with the meal as is (no added soup needed) and my kids and DH would be thrilled. Personally I think the inclusion of paper plates and such shows that a lot of thought went into the meal, and I'd appreciate the easy clean up. All in all I'd be very happy and thank the sender warmly.

I see nothing at all negative with this at all whatsoever and I'm surprised at the responses so far.

ETA: Meant to point out too that this isn't a cheap meal to send for a family of 7 either. So not only would the sender have put time and thought into sending it, but also a decent amount of money. No way I'd be anything but very thankful. Very Happy

Last edited by moonbeam on Wed, Jun 24 2015, 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 1:06 pm
I would think that someone was generous enough to take the time out of their busy day to bring someone a much needed meal.

I had a major surgery two summers ago. For two weeks people brought things. One of the best meals (seriously) was a large can of different tyes of tuna, bagels and different salads from that same store.

We loved it. Whats wrong with store bought food? Its the thought that counts and the help that it gives to the woman recovering and the family that needs to eat super.

morah

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 1:11 pm
When I had my second baby, someone from shul sent us a whole pie from the local pizza shop. Along with a few sides. I thought, yay, pizza! Because pizza is awesome. And covered the next day's lunch too. People send meals to help the new mom, who cares whether they cooked it themselves or sent takeout? Same lovely gesture.

SimchaSays

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 1:12 pm
I'd think the same thing I would think of any meal received: thank you so much for thinking of my family!!

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 1:13 pm
So OP, why were you asking?

mha3484

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 1:14 pm
For a family that likes deli meat its a great idea. I love a hot pastrami sandwich. But its an expensive meal so I would only do it if I knew the family would really like it. If not I would get a rotisserie chicken or something similar.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 1:15 pm
Personally, I wouldn't send such a meal. When I send to a kimpeturin I try to pack in nutrition - a filling soup, main dish, starch, salad, etc...

But no one owes me anything, and if I was sent such a meal I would say thank you. I might pull something out of my freezer for that night's supper (I always freeze things in advance of having a baby, for emergencies) and use this for lunch, snacks, etc....

I remember when DD was born: one person offered to make us supper and totally forgot about it - in fact, I don't think she ever remembered her offer and I never said anything. Supper never showed, I pulled something out and we ate.

Another person sent burnt meatballs and rice (both burnt). We are not picky but it simply was not edible - at least to us. Again, that's what the freezer is for.

Some friends and neighbors sent perfectly lovely meals that DH and I enjoyed, and that my kids would not touch. B"H for the freezer.....

ora_43

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 1:20 pm
It might feel a little weird for me.

If someone cooks food, it's part of the whole "yay, we all cook for each other after births" culture. If someone bought me prepared food that I could have bought myself, it might feel more like "why are you paying for my groceries?" My problem after birth is that I shouldn't be on my feet for very long, not that I no longer have money to buy food.

But that's just me and my cultural background.

(If a close friend did it that would be different, because it's not weird for close friends to buy each other things.)

Also, if I were sending a meal to someone else, I'd try to add something a bit healthier. I wouldn't mind that aspect of it myself (my kids would like it, and I don't rely on meals other people send anyway), but if I were the one sending, I'd try to send a lentil salad or something too. Women need nutritious food after birth.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics