Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What to look for in a housekeeper?

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 4:12 pm
I have never had more than a cleaning woman once or twice a week, but now I am b"H able to hire a housekeeper to come every day for several hours. I need her to do cleaning, tidying up, laundry, food prep and cooking, and a bit of childcare.

Is there anything in particular I should ask for or look out for? I will be hiring a frum woman, who is part of my community. I want someone who is pleasant to be around, but I don't want to feel an obligation to shmooze (I am a very friendly person and this has been a problem in the past with cleaning help). I want someone who will not be judgemental about me for needing help and not managing so well without it. I want someone who will not be nosy or curious about information I choose not to share (such as the details of my work, etc.). I want someone who will do things the way I want them done, not the way she thinks is better, in terms of laundry and food prep, for example.

I'm not sure how to ask for these things, or if they are just things you have to go with your feeling. I also don't know what I should ask from references when looking into someone I'm potentially hiring.

Any suggestions, or anything important I haven't thought of?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 5:45 pm
The way I like to handle this is to show the housekeeper around the house, showing everything you want done (and how when relevant) and how often it should be done. I also provide them this information in writing. Then I explain that all I care about is the end results; that she accomplishes the above. As long as she does so, other than normal politeness, I pretty much ignore her and go about my day as I wish. I have found this to work very well. Sometimes to do this though, you may need to allow the housekeeper to do certain things "her" way rather than yours to really make it work. Only insist on your way for things that are really important. I've never had a Jewish housekeeper, so there may be a little more give there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics