Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Math Tutor

OneSource

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 11:03 am
I'm looking for a math tutor for my daughter, who is going into second grade this fall, for the summer to shore up her understanding and maybe move ahead for next year.

Flatbush/Mill Basin/ Marine Park would be great.

And affordable too, btw.

Thanks for the suggestions!

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 11:09 am
Would you consider a male tutor? How much are you willing to pay?

OneSource

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 11:16 am
Definitely feel more comfortable with a female since my daughter is 6.

As to pay, I am not sure what the going rate is for this sort of thing. Please advise what others pay for such a service. I know college level tutoring goes for 25+ but for 1st and 2nd grade math, I'm hoping its more in the 15 per hour range but I'm open to suggestions.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 11:30 am
OneSource wrote:

As to pay, I am not sure what the going rate is for this sort of thing. Please advise what others pay for such a service. I know college level tutoring goes for 25+ but for 1st and 2nd grade math, I'm hoping its more in the 15 per hour range but I'm open to suggestions.

I was a college level physics tutor 12 years ago in Brooklyn and got $30/hr (that was giving a discount!)
My husband was an elementary math tutor at that time and got $30/hr.

I'm surprised to hear it would be so cheap, unless you are looking at hiring an 8th grader.

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 11:32 am
I don't think you are going to get a tutor for that amount of money. From my understanding, tutoring can be up to $50-$60 an hour, for younger kids maybe $25-$40. Maybe a high school girl would do it for that amount.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 11:36 am
OneSource wrote:

I'm sorry, but you are being very unrealistic. I charge $60 an hour for elementary school. More for high school. I am not expensive. Good luck anyway!

OneSource

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 11:55 am
So far, I've spoken with two ladies who charge $18-$25 for 1st grade math. Their locations weren't ideal and would require odd hours for scheduling because of the distance to my house (which is why I am looking for someone closer).

I've never heard of a tutor charging $50+ an hour for a first grader but if the market supports it, good for you!

My husband had a college level tutor who charge $25 per hour for advanced chem and bio so considering this is 1st grade math, I was hoping for someone who can be more reasonable given the low level of expertise required here (yes- I know I am asking to be bashed for saying teaching a first grader math isn't that difficult or doesn't require expertise to handle such a task- but that's not what I'm saying at all. Instead, I don't need someone who is qualified to teach adults chem or heavy-duty math- just addition, subtraction and multiplication, which almost anyone with a high school education can handle.) A girl in 8th grade, imo, wouldn't be mature enough to teach a first grader for pay. I am looking for a high school girl or an adult who is looking to earn some extra money over the summer. That's all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics