Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Like it - or not?
1  2  Next

When do you "like" a post?
Only when you completely agree  
 50%  [ 73 ]
When you enjoy reading it, even if you disagree  
 15%  [ 22 ]
You always comment on posts you liked, to explain why  
 0%  [ 0 ]
When you agree with the general idea, even if not with all of it  
 29%  [ 43 ]
You've never noticed there's a "like" button  
 2%  [ 3 ]
You don't "like" posts on principle  
 0%  [ 0 ]
other  
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 144

youngishbear

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 9:38 pm
I often find myself debating whether to "like" a post. It shouldn't matter enough to construct a poll on the subject, but it seems some posters feel otherwise. I've noticed that it seems to be weighing on posters' minds, and the number of likes is considered a sort of insta-poll of frum female public opinion.

I would never withhold my priceless "like" for things like awful grammar or overabundance of spelling errors. But I wonder... do others?

What about the emotional dilemmas - when someone posts something I agree with - until she disparages herself in the last sentence? Is it even morally right to like a post like that? Some may infer I agree with the disparagement, when I actually only agree with everything else but that.

What about those witty comments that I emphatically disagree with - but were so hilarious and well-put? Is my "like" an endorsement of the opinion proclaimed, or appreciation of the comedic genius of the poster?

In a similar vein, the articulate or well-reasoned posts garner my admiration even when I disagree with their points or conclusions.

In many of the cases I do the obvious; I quote and comment.

But... to like or not to like, that is the question.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 9:43 pm
I don't have to agree with a post to like it. I may like it because the poster has taken a position under their own screen name and was clear and articulate in making her point.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 9:44 pm
There was an "other" option. I don't know where it went Sad .

[I added the other option for you. You need to click on add option for the option you just typed in to be added into the poll. Add option does not mean add another option after this one. It's confusing, I know. - Yael]

relish

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 10:01 pm
I like the idea of the pole.
I like the diverse options you offered.
Can you do that for hugs also?
I am curious to see the result.
Sometimes posts get hugs, and it baffles me why someone would hug that post.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 11:09 pm
Thank you, Yael!

(And thanks to Star, I can now create polls by switching to full version.)

I realized now while reading through a thread that I sometimes read a post, nod my head in agreement, and "like" it.

Then I read the dissenting view... and hmm, she has a good point, too. So there's another "like".

This happens mostly in threads where I don't know much about the subject. It's a fun way to learn about different ideas - but if anyone is using my "likes" to calculate the popularity of opinions, it won't work too well.

There's no way of knowing how many people have "liked" both opposing views.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 11:10 pm
On the rare occasions that I "like" a post I usually PM the poster to explain why.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 11:26 pm
I'm a liker. Cool
I like to like. I like when I like what I'm reading.

chani8

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 12:50 am
I'm a liker, too. And a hugger. A sincere hugger, that is.

boymom

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 1:03 am
funny. I was going to make such a poll but then I noticed yours. I was wondering about the same thing. I was mainly wondering if pple are honest when they like a post. I like a post if its a viewpoint that I share. if the post is completely against my hashkafah then I will not like it, no matter how well its written. on a neutral topic, I might like a post based on something other than viewpoint, such as humor.

etky

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 1:55 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
I don't have to agree with a post to like it. I may like it because the poster has taken a position under their own screen name and was clear and articulate in making her point.

Same here. I've often liked posts that I don't agree with if the poster presented a really cogent argument.
I also sometimes like "orphan" posts - usually unobjectionable ones that for some reason have gotten no likes and/or were ignored, so that the poster should feel she was heard.

5mom

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 10:34 am
etky wrote:
Same here. I've often liked posts that I don't agree with if the poster presented a really cogent argument.
I also sometimes like "orphan" posts - usually unobjectionable ones that for some reason have gotten no likes and/or were ignored, so that the poster should feel she was heard.

That's really nice of you!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 11:09 am
I never noticed it until the thread of men and p@rn and women and "likes" on their posts....that we get our validation. Otherwise I never notice (still) if anyone likes or doesn't like my posts and if anyone hugs.

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 11:31 am
I like posts if I generally agree with the opinions expressed therein and/or if I find a post amusing. If I read the beginning of a post and like it but continue reading and discover that the poster said something I emphatically disagree with, then I will unlike the post. I don't like posts that are practically unreadable because of text speak or poor grammar even if I normally would agree with the substance.

In regards to posts that offer advice, I only like them if I think the advice is good. If I think the sentiments of the poster are good but the advice isn't, then I won't like it because I'm afraid the OP will take a much liked post more seriously and end up following bad (IMO) advice.

I think I hug a lot more posts than I like because I have no problems giving a person emotional support even if I disagree with her.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 12:35 pm
I can like posts I don't fully agree with providing that the part that I don't agree with is not something I think is fundamentally incorrect.
If nothing else, this thread highlights why a dislike button is a bad idea.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 12:41 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I can like posts I don't fully agree with providing that the part that I don't agree with is not something I think is fundamentally incorrect.
If nothing else, this thread highlights why a dislike button is a bad idea.

I agree.

At most, a disagree button might be okay.

Maybe that will even help stop those confusing fake hugs.

mirror

Post Sat, Jun 27 2015, 11:10 pm
Sometimes you get several posters all saying the same thing. They are all great posts, but if I spend the whole day liking every post then I would be on Imamother the entire day.

Stars

Post Sat, Jun 27 2015, 11:28 pm
I like posts when I like them.

Stars

Post Sat, Jun 27 2015, 11:30 pm
I also feel good when a post of mine gets liked. Or hugged. I count them as sincere.

mandr

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 12:04 am
I like hearing the opinions expressed here in the comments, but the poll is not really valid because what's if there are several right answers?!

I like a post when I would loudly say, "Yeah, that's it!" if I was standing next to the author. Or when someone is about to get into hot water because of what she just wrote, so my like would be more of a little preemptive buffering. ANd what about the Imamother friends I know in RL who comment on the site - how do I not like their posts?

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 12:08 am
mandr wrote:
I like hearing the opinions expressed here in the comments, but the poll is not really valid because what's if there are several right answers?!

I like a post when I would loudly say, "Yeah, that's it!" if I was standing next to the author. Or when someone is about to get into hot water because of what she just wrote, so my like would be more of a little preemptive buffering. ANd what about the Imamother friends I know in RL who comment on the site - how do I not like their posts?

I was thinking about the bolded.

I guess that's what the "other" option is for.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics