Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Homemade Indian Shabbat Lunch

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 11:50 am
I do love Indian food but this seems extremely difficult to coordinate. Any thoughts on how you would handle pulling something like this off?

http://www.bigapplecurry.com/2.....unch/

Recipes can be found at the link.

Brie’s Kosher Indian Shabbat Lunch

Daddy’s Chicken Curry with Fingerling Potatoes

Chick Peas Curry

Easy Indian Roasted Vegetables

Curried Glatt Chicken Wings in a Coconut Curry Glaze

Glatt Beef Keema with Green Peas and Potatoes

Basmati Rice

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 12:27 pm
Seems like a big menu for 1 meal unless you have a large crowd, but each recipe doesn't look too hard (scanned a few) thought making ALL would be time consuming

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 12:32 pm
The writer indicated it was for 20 so definitely for an occasion. The individual dishes aren't hard but the coordination seems daunting and how do you reheat all of it.

What I love about Indian restaurants is having tastes of a lot of dishes which is why this is appealing rather than just my standard curry with rice or tandoori chicken.

So I am wondering about the logistics and could it really be done.

nicole81

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 1:20 pm
From the picture, it looks like the keema was made in a crockpot. I know the recipe doesn't indicate it at all, but the picture of the shabbat lunch version looks way different than the pictures that accompany the recipe, and have a crockpot look to me. For the rest of the food, it would depend how you hold regarding using a hotplate or blech. For me, I reheat foods with liquids, as long as the contents are more than 50% solid. So I would reheat the curries covered on the hotplate. Roasted veggies are never that great reheated IMO, but I would guess reheating them uncovered might help the texture. I would also reheat the chicken wings covered, but there's not way the dish would retain its integrity as a key feature is the crispy skin. I would also put the rice on the hotplate but on top of the other dishes so it doesn't dry out.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 1:41 pm
Ok. In other words, my first thought is right and that having this as a Shabbos lunch really would not be possible in terms of the dishes being up to snuff.

nicole81

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 1:55 pm
Amarante wrote:
Ok. In other words, my first thought is right and that having this as a Shabbos lunch really would not be possible in terms of the dishes being up to snuff.

If you reheat the curries, I'm sure they would be just as good. But crispy glazed chicken wings and roasted veggies? I doubt it. The taste might still be great though.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 12:24 pm
Actually I do Indian shabbat lunch fairly frequently. Though the only thing I cook on crockpot is daal (lentil curry /stew.) Naan can be warmed in foil over the plata, chicken prepared beforehand.

Beef korma definitely doesn't sound authentic, I suspect it was meant as lamb mince.

Aside from naan, rice, chutney, most dishes are with some sauce or gravy. Pakoras are dry, ditto for tandoori dishes. Bombay potatoes are also fairly dry. Traditional Indian meals have some vegetables. And curry sauce (actually spice mixes) are diverse and distinctive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus