Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Messed up stomach from shabbos food
1  2  Next

kollelwife1234

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 12:22 am
I end up with stomach pain and in the bathroom every shabbos from about 3 pm, and I can't figure out which food it is. First I tried going off cholent, but that didn't help. Then someone suggested cutting down on challa, that didn't help either. Does anyone have a plan for me so that I don't end up with stomach problems on shabbos? I am more or less fine the rest of the week.

boysrus

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 12:24 am
Do you eat chopped liver for shabos lunch? If yes, maybe it is not perfectly fresh. It goes off very fast

mirror

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 12:49 am
Also try to drink extra water throughout the day.

abaker

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 1:33 am
Do you have oily things like potato kugel? Or very heavy foods like red meat? Try a simple light menu next shabbos and see if it helps. Maybe a baked chicken with some rice or quinoa. And roasted veggies and a salad. Have fresh fruit. I think shabbos food tends to way heavier and more oily/eggy than during the week it might be too hard on your tummy.

November

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 1:40 am
It might be helpful to get an accounting of what you ate for shabbos lunch, OP.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 1:48 am
For me the culprit was gefilte fish loaf that was not cooked well enough.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 2:38 am
My hubby has this problem also where it's motzei shabbos and he doesn't always make it to the toilet on time!! It's awful! ;(

I was thinking maybe he has IBS also almost never during the week only shabbos night

Amarante

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 7:57 am
Do you change your food patterns significantly - I.e. during the rest of the week are your foods in general less rich; use less oil; more based on grains and less on animal protein?

It could just be general indigestion based on your abruptly changing your foods one day a week rather than issues with a specific food going bad. If food was spoiled, most probably other people would have issues. Many people have indigestion in the US on celebratory occasions when they overeat and indulge in foods that are fattier and higher in sugar than normally eaten.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:05 am
As a side comment, my daughters morah said the Sunday diapers are smellier than the rest of the week. She says it's the change in diet for a day.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:12 am
Try cutting out ALL challah and use 1 sheet of matzah instead. Dh and I did that and our Shabbos is a totally different experience! (Depending on your sensitivity, whole wheat may or may not be good for you. If you do use whole wheat matzah, make sure to supplement with lots of water!)

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:12 am
Make a list of all your Shabbos foods, and a list of your weekday menus. Then compare.

It's not always the fats/oils. You may be (also) be eating a lot more roughage (salads and raw veggies).

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:14 am
Make sure to drink enough with water throughout the whole shabbos and try not to eat more than you usually do. A sample meal can be 1 sheet of matzah, very small piece of fish, soup (steer clear of noodles or matzah balls) or a lettuce salad (or other salad with minimal fat and sugar), non oily vegetable side, and a modest piece of meat/chicken.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:17 am
Another thing I found: when I eat meals later than usual, my stomach gets very bloated. So in late shabbosim, I try to eat a healthy lunch and follow it up every few hours with a light and healthy snack (cut up fruit, Greek yogurt...) so that I don't go for too long without food. On shabbos morning, I make sure to have a modest but nutritious breakfast (yogurt or non sugary fiber cereal with sliced fruit) to tide me over until lunch.

esther09

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:40 am
3pm sounds quick for a Shabbos lunch reaction - food poisoning tends to take a bit longer. Maybe it's something you eat Friday nights?

SorGold

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 11:04 am
Lets hear what you eat during the week and what you eat on shabbos...
Gluten can cause a reaction like you desribe. Do you eat gluten during the week. It can also be caused by the amount of food you are eating. Do you eat a larger amount of food on Shabbos?

cbsp

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 10:40 pm
For me it was the grape juice/wine. Potentially the sulfites, although I'm ok with dried fruit...

I switched to fresh/non shelf stable grape juice and it made a world of difference. I also discovered I could drink the sparkling kind (so far ok with Catawba, Blush, and concord sparkling) but those have sulfites... I still get tummy aches but nowhere nearly as badly. I also find that taking digestive enzymes and pro-biotics help a lot.

Lastly, I found that wearing loose clothing (No control top hose, waistbands that fit) during and after meals cuts down on the frequency of attacks.

I hope you feel better!

kiwi strawberry

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 10:52 pm
Dips

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 10:55 pm
it could be a gluten sensitivity. challah is generally made with high-gluten flour, so if you're sensitive to gluten (not completely gluten intolerant), challah could definitely be the trigger. my gastroenterologist told me he has this problem. he thinks it's pretty common. even if you make challah with regular flour, you probably eat more challah than you normally would bread on any other day. definitely consider cutting out challah for a while, see if there's a difference.

octopus

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 10:58 pm
omg! every motzei shabbos I get so bloated, even if I skip cholent! And let's say I eat shabbos lunch at 12:00, even if I eat nothing else at 9:00pm I could be massively bloated and in terrible pain!

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 11:00 pm
I think most people eat way more than normal on shabbos and at different hours than their body is used to. I think those 2 factors are more likely culprits than what particular food you are eating.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note