Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Tiferes Miriam info

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 9:08 am
I was wondering if anyone could give me current information on what the school Tiferes Miriam is like. Some specific questions are: what type of girls go there? (hashkafically, disability, etc), what is the level of education? do the girls take regents? where do they go after graduation? and what is the tuition?

Also, I was wondering if it might be a good fit for my dd. Her principal suggested it as a possibility, because we're really struggling to figure out where to send her after 5th grade. She is diagnosed with ASD. She is high functioning, and academically above level, however she currently receives small group and individualized instruction at her school. Because of her disability she does learn in unique ways and would be well behind grade level if it wasn't for her tailored education. She is socially immature though and while she is pretty much on par with her peers now, again it is because of the supports she receives in her current environment. She gets along well with mainstream kids, but they sometimes do notice that she's a bit different. She would need to stay in a socially supportive environment if she is going to maintain and progress further.

I would appreciate any insight that anyone can give. I would be willing to PM for further information, or give an email address if you want to stay anonymous. Thanks.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 1:43 pm
daddy mac will make you: bump bump

menuchavsimcha

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 11:52 am
What type of girls go there: a big mix - chassidish, litvish, heimish, yeshivish, sefardic...it runs with the same guidelines as a bais yaakov school.

Academically the girls that go there range from learning disabled to girls who are on grade level but dont function well in large class settings.

Girls are tested before they enter the program by the principal for a few hours. He tests them on everything from writing, spelling, reading comprehension to ability to read rashi and parsha.

Then girls are taught according to their level within a class or group setting.
So in subjects like math, writing... some girls are learning things well below grade level, but others are at grade level. No one is forced to wait for a weaker girl to catch up and no one is forced to move on to a new skill if they are not ready just because others are ready.
Other subjects like literature or science, historia or chumash are taught in a group.

Tiferes Miriam has two tracks - a regents and non regents track. So yes, regents are offered.

Tuition is higher than the average school because of the high teacher to student ratio, but if you live in new york and your daughter has an iep the school does accept government funding.

After graduation girls go to seminary, get jobs, get married...most of them do what most girls do after high school. It really depends on the individual.

As for if it is a good school for your daughter, that would be hard for me to say unless I met her. But the principal doesnt accept girls that he doesnt feel he can help. If you are not sure, I would suggest you call up and leave a message - now that its the summer, there isnt someone there every day, but they will get back to you and you could speak to Rabbi Stamm, send in any reports you have on your daughter. He would then read the reports and get back to you if he feels she could fit, and then he would test her. When he did the testing, he would talk to you further, and then would accept her if he felt it was a good school for her.

Hatzlacha in whatever you decide to do!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics