Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Do you like soup?
1  2  3  Next

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 9:51 am
I love soup and almost any kind. My grandfather used to say that a meal is not complete without soup. I like soup as the meal Wink . Most of my children, on the other hand, don't care for it that much. I rarely made it because of that, but I decided, I like it, I'll make it for me and if they want, they can have. Any leftovers, I'll freeze for another time. I only started it recently and when they see the soup cooking, they say, soup is for supper Question , not with a happy face. The happy face comes back when I tell them it's not for them. Some do have some, though Wink and last night, they really liked it, the tomato, meat, and cabbage soup from the by cookbook. That combo actually is my favorite with or without the meat. What's your favorite?

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 9:55 am
Yes! Lately I started making a large batch once a week and eating soup every day. Keeps me from eating junk food. I like:
Vegetable soup with small chunks
Chicken soup with carrot and zucchini
Puréed broccoli, zucchini or cauliflower soup
Cream based soups - mushroom, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach or carrot
Minestrone soup
I'm always on the lookout for new soup ideas.

Stars

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 10:09 am
Only rarely. Like on a cold winter day.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 10:24 am
No. It's potentially messy, and not such a nice food to me though some taste great. Also not kid friendly...

On a cold shabbes, or on a YT, some chicken soup why not. But I would never have it weekly! also some like to put msg in it so outside of my home I would probably not touch it. Even here now, some have started Rolling Eyes

5*Mom

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 11:20 am
We're soup junkies over here. We'll eat just about any soup any time, anywhere. Smile (No MSG, though. Blech.)

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 12:33 pm
I love soup. I'd love some more recipes, actually, that aren't fleishig (EVERYTHING calls for chicken broth) or pureed (I don't own a blender).

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 12:39 pm
Love soup. I also usually make a big batch at the beginning of the week and serve for the next few days (I freeze and reheat).

Yesterday's dinner was in a bowl. I was on short notice, so defrosted a chicken soup with lots of veggies, added water and spices, boiled cubed chicken in it and then added tons of ramen noodles at the end. I got the idea from a magazine that had a 'tradition soup' recipe. So easy and filling.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 12:43 pm
esheschayil wrote:
I love soup. I'd love some more recipes, actually, that aren't fleishig (EVERYTHING calls for chicken broth) or pureed (I don't own a blender).

Here's a yummy one!

Grate an onion, a couple of carrots, and a couple of stalks of celery.

Sauté in butter or olive oil till browning.

Cube 3-4 medium potatoes. Add to roux and sauté around 10 minutes.

Add water- I'm not sure how much. I fill half my medium pot.

Add salt and pepper to taste, and a bunch of fresh parsley (you can put the parsley in a mesh). Add onion soup mix if you use (can be skipped).

Bring to boil, then simmer for at least half an hour.

So hearty!

silly

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 12:46 pm
I love soups especially heavy ones , like cream of chicken /squash/broccli

JMM-uc

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 12:48 pm
Nope. Unless it's thick and spiced really well

etky

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 1:49 pm
Not my favorite thing to eat but it features weekly on my Friday night menu b/c DH and the kids must have their Shabbat soup. I prefer to ingest my calories in solid form otherwise it doesn't really feel like I'm eating. I'm not a milkshake, smoothie type either.
Of all the soups I make my hearty lentil soup is the best I think. I make it highly seasoned with middle eastern spices like Hawayij. Also my kubbe soup which is slightly sour and of course there are the nice solid kubbes to eat. I buy them frozen and cook them in the soup so it's really quite a simple soup to prepare.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 1:55 pm
My kids would never eat veggies if not for blended soups. Some of them, anyway.

I often do

Blended carrot soup (we call it pumpkin soup)
frozen california mix blended
split pea soup
bean soup
Butternut squash soup
Chunky vegetable soup

I cook a large pot and freeze. I alternate different soups every night. I love to see my freezer full of soups!

Oh and none of them have flour or chicken broth. Or msg Smile .

JMM-uc

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 1:57 pm
My favorites (thick!) soups are -

Pumpkin

Mushroom

Corn

Onion

Blue jay

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 2:02 pm
chicken matza ball soup with tons of noodles and carrots and chicken bits and matzo ball's. This thread is making me crave soup now with the onset of summer!

alittlebirdie

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 2:07 pm
I make soup in the winter and my kids won't touch blended soup they say it's baby food!

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 2:53 pm
As the Campbell's people have been saying for decades, "Soup is good food." Whoever invented it should be canonized.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 2:56 pm
As long as there is AC I drink hot coffee and make soup all summer long and the winter too. We love it. Chicken soup is for shabbos only. The rest of the week anything goes.

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 2:59 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Here's a yummy one!

Grate an onion, a couple of carrots, and a couple of stalks of celery.

Sauté in butter or olive oil till browning.

Cube 3-4 medium potatoes. Add to roux and sauté around 10 minutes.

Add water- I'm not sure how much. I fill half my medium pot.

Add salt and pepper to taste, and a bunch of fresh parsley (you can put the parsley in a mesh). Add onion soup mix if you use (can be skipped).

Bring to boil, then simmer for at least half an hour.

So hearty!

Ooooh, thanks! Will have to try this!

cbg

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 3:22 pm
I love creamy soups.
I have a vitamix which can make anything into soup in a few minutes.
My favorite extra healthy and low cal.
1 bag of frozen brocolli defrosted
Hot water
salt, pepper garlic to taste.
Blend until smooth
I can eat the whole thing myself yum!

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 3:25 pm
etky wrote:
Not my favorite thing to eat but it features weekly on my Friday night menu b/c DH and the kids must have their Shabbat soup. I prefer to ingest my calories in solid form otherwise it doesn't really feel like I'm eating. I'm not a milkshake, smoothie type either.
Of all the soups I make my hearty lentil soup is the best I think. I make it highly seasoned with middle eastern spices like Hawayij. Also my kubbe soup which is slightly sour and of course there are the nice solid kubbes to eat. I buy them frozen and cook them in the soup so it's really quite a simple soup to prepare.

Can you please post the recipes?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics