Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Which is more nebby?
1  2  Next

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 6:44 pm
I had a teenage niece staying with me for Shabbos and we were about to walk somewhere and it was drizzling. Her hair was nicely done so I offered her a rain bonnet--she was like, "do you have an old high school hooded sweatshirt?" I did but I was thinking that my old h.s. sweatshirt from over 10 years ago would look more nebby than a rain bonnet and a trenchcoat. She didn't agree. Am I missing something here?

Jeanette

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 6:48 pm
rain bonnet suggests old lady while ratty old sweatshirt doesn't.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 6:49 pm
little hard to explain... but I get where she's coming from. I'd probably also have preferred a hoodie when I was a teen.
Rain bonnets, although practical and a great way to cover hair/wig, are considered very 'nebby' by teenagers. It's sort of an older lady look. Hoodies are "cool and with it' and although casual for shabbos, still are much more a teenage style.

And as you know teens can be so hung up on their looks, even out in the rain when nobody could care less Rolling Eyes

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 7:16 pm
Yes it is highly acceptable to wear a hooded sweatshirt during the rain amongst teens nowadays. They do not wear rain bonnets in my neck of the woods

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 7:17 pm
She's a teenager. 'Nuff said.

lucky14

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 7:23 pm
I'm not a teenager and would very much prefer the old sweatshirt over a rain bonnet.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 7:45 pm
Beam me up Scotty!!
No sign of intelligent life here.

animeme

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 8:34 pm
On a practical level, I find rain bonnets don't actually keep my hair/ sheitel dry. The hair is longer in back so it sticks out, and the bonnet is stiff in front. While I prefer a good raincoat with a drawstring hood, given the choice of a bonnet or a hoodie, I'd choose the hoodie to keep my hair and head dry.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 8:57 pm
Just wondering... doesn't the rain soak through the fabric of the hoodie?

kenz

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 9:40 pm
lucky14 wrote:
I'm not a teenager and would very much prefer the old sweatshirt over a rain bonnet.

Ditto- I'm 20 years past teenagehood and I wouldn't be caught in a rainbonnet if you paid me - not to mention my teens would have my head (pun intended). Disposable rain poncho/jacket, sure, but bonnet - no chance. It's for 80 year olds.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 9:42 pm
amother wrote:
I had a teenage niece staying with me for Shabbos and we were about to walk somewhere and it was drizzling. Her hair was nicely done so I offered her a rain bonnet--she was like, "do you have an old high school hooded sweatshirt?" I did but I was thinking that my old h.s. sweatshirt from over 10 years ago would look more nebby than a rain bonnet and a trenchcoat. She didn't agree. Am I missing something here?

I'd go with the hoodie too.
But what's the difference what *you* think is more "nebby?" She's the one who has to wear it.

bluebird

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 10:52 pm
This needs a poll. Very Happy

fluffernutter

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 1:28 am
I don't think any self respecting teenager would find herself caught dead in a rain bonnet! I would have rather gotten soaked than wear a rain bonnet Smile

I will point out tho that I was once in a very chassidish neighborhood, and the girls there DO where rain bonnets like it's normal. Us Litvishers just added it to the list of things that they do that we would never consider being ok!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 2:02 am
Yeah, in our chassidishe neighbourhood it's nebby during the week, but Shabbos? Totally normal.

ahuva06

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 2:09 am
I totally get your niece! Rain bonnets = wig/old lady... old sweatshirt fits right in with the "I woke up like this" look that teens are always trying to accomplish...!

imasoftov

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 2:12 am
fluffernutter wrote:
I will point out tho that I was once in a very chassidish neighborhood, and the girls there DO where rain bonnets like it's normal. Us Litvishers just added it to the list of things that they do that we would never consider being ok!

I've asked a number of chassidim where some thing they do can be found in the principles of chassidus, and now I'm going to ask you, what did the Brisker Rav have to say about being nebby in general or specifically about sweatshirts vs rain bonnets? Any other Litveshe gadol will do, too.

fluffernutter

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 3:12 am
imasoftov, its not that the Rebbe said they should wear a rain bonnet - its that it is accepted in their circles. Its a social thing, not a Rav/Rebbe thing. And yes, dodgerblue, it was on Shabbos.

I think if you asked any rav if a girl should feel nebby wearing a rain bonnet vs sweatshirt, first they'd laugh at you Smile, they'd say that there isn't anything wrong either way (unless they say a sweatshirt is shlumpy and therefore not matiim for bnos yisroel) but that there is no reason to davka be nebby (unless I guess you're trying to be Navardik...)

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 4:17 am
Why not offer her a regular raincoat? That's what I use in the rain.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 5:33 am
I can understand your niece. As a teen I would have thought the same. As an adult in my twenties, I would totally wear either. I am a confident adult and I know nobody could care less. And, I am very into fashion, not one of those people who doesnt care how they look.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 5:35 am
imasoftov wrote:
I've asked a number of chassidim where some thing they do can be found in the principles of chassidus, and now I'm going to ask you, what did the Brisker Rav have to say about being nebby in general or specifically about sweatshirts vs rain bonnets? Any other Litveshe gadol will do, too.

The hoodie is definitely a shaila of sechitah.

A poncho with a reliable hechsher would be the most lechatchilah.

Bedieved, a rainbonnet can be used if it is tied with a temporary knot.

It must be worn even when it stops raining so as not to come to hotzaah ch"v.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics