Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Which is more nebby?
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 9:06 am
Rain bonnet?? even my grandmother doesn't use those anymore.

CatLady

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 9:49 am
I didn't even know they still made rain bonnets. I'd wear the hoodie, personally.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 10:48 am
youngishbear wrote:
The hoodie is definitely a shaila of sechitah.

A poncho with a reliable hechsher would be the most lechatchilah.

Bedieved, a rainbonnet can be used if it is tied with a temporary knot.

It must be worn even when it stops raining so as not to come to hotzaah ch"v.

Seriously though, some actually hold that a married woman with a sheitel is not allowed to wear a rain bonnet on Shabbos (if there is no eruv) because she is only protecting her sheitel. A girl, otoh, IS allowed because she is protecting her hair, which is part of her body.

fluffernutter

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 11:46 am
Seashell amother - that is so interesting. I never would have thought of that.

shoshb

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 11:48 am
kenz wrote:
Ditto- I'm 20 years past teenagehood and I wouldn't be caught in a rainbonnet if you paid me - not to mention my teens would have my head (pun intended). Disposable rain poncho/jacket, sure, but bonnet - no chance. It's for 80 year olds.

I'm about a decade older than you, and I had this very discussion with my grandmother back in the 80's! Who knew I was fashion forward?!

sky

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 11:59 am
I'd prefer the sweatshirt (I would probably use both is available).

This past shabbos we walked and it was humid and raining. I found my raincoat to be too warm for the humidity. So I wore an old light sweatshirt and it did the job perfectly.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 12:07 pm
I was recently driving in Boro Park during a major rain and I saw loads of rain bonnets. I thought it was so interesting. Not all on old ladies, though they were all married. But they were all pushing strollers and looked youngish.
I never see that in Flatbush.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 1:57 pm
I wear one. I hate rain coats it protects my Shietel (before marriage, my hair) and my face. My nieces wear it all the time when it rains. I even wear it if I have a simcha On windy or humid days. Never thought of it as old school. In the summer I generally wear only a rain bonet. My outfits are machine washable.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 2:27 pm
amother wrote:
Seriously though, some actually hold that a married woman with a sheitel is not allowed to wear a rain bonnet on Shabbos (if there is no eruv) because she is only protecting her sheitel. A girl, otoh, IS allowed because she is protecting her hair, which is part of her body.

I actually learned something new. Thanks!

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 2:31 pm
amother wrote:

We (US Litvish/Yeshivh) hold this way, though we do allow the married woman to wear it if the rain is hard enough that it is needed to protect her head as well a the sheitel.

I've always preferred a good raincoat with a hood personally. I know that my teenaged granddaughters were appalled when their mother was going to wear a rainhat outside.

sequoia

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 2:38 pm
If it's raining, why not wear a raincoat with a hood?

kenz

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 7:59 pm
amother wrote:
I was recently driving in Boro Park during a major rain and I saw loads of rain bonnets. I thought it was so interesting. Not all on old ladies, though they were all married. But they were all pushing strollers and looked youngish.
I never see that in Flatbush.

The young chassidish girls wear them without a second thought. Then again, they likely wouldn't be caught dead in a hoodie.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 8:15 pm
kenz wrote:
The young chassidish girls wear them without a second thought. Then again, they likely wouldn't be caught dead in a hoodie.

Lol. True.

MrsDash

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 12:03 am
Am I the only one who'd go outside stam, without a bonnet or hoodie?

heidi

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 12:08 am
mommy2b2c wrote:
I can understand your niece. As a teen I would have thought the same. As an adult in my twenties, I would totally wear either. I am a confident adult and I know nobody could care less. And, I am very into fashion, not one of those people who doesnt care how they look.

Good for you!
It took me till I was 40 to feel this way!

water_bear88

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 4:50 am
MrsDash wrote:
Am I the only one who'd go outside stam, without a bonnet or hoodie?

Depends how hard it's raining and what kind of tichel I'm wearing. In a drizzle when I was single, for sure! Who cares if your hair gets a bit damp?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 7:06 am
sequoia wrote:
If it's raining, why not wear a raincoat with a hood?
It seems that you and I are the only ones posting here who would wear a raincoat with a hood. I have a simple unlined waterproof one.
Maybe it's so nebby that it's not even on the radar.

fluffernutter

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 8:20 am
I would wear a raincoat too. The thread was just about sweatshirts vs bonnets - I think those are the backups while the raincoat is the first choice.
I've also noticed that some raincoats don't come with hoods. I can't figure out why!!! Then a rain bonnet is great. Also, even if it gets windy, and the hood blows off, the rain bonnet will still protect you.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics