Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
IDF artillery unit

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 9:19 am
Any mothers out there whose sons are serving in an artillery unit that can give me advice as to what my son needs that the army does not provide and possibly the best place to find such items? Its hard as we are in the USA and he will be a chayal boded so we really have not been in the loop of schmoozing with other parents and finding out the inside scoop.
Thanks!

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 3:04 pm
bump

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 3:34 pm
My brother is in an artillery unit- I'll try to remember to ask when I next talk to him. Their training base is in the middle of the Negev, so if he needs sunscreen in general it's not a bad idea to bring. (It's not hard to find here, but you can find it a lot cheaper in the US).

Kol hakavod to your son!

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 3:41 pm
OP, I would bet NBN has a department especially for this. Why dont you find out if that is the case? They may be able to help you in a very big way.

etky

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 4:54 pm
My oldest DD will be going into the army in 2 weeks be"h. Today we went to the mall to outfit her with some of the stuff that she will need.
Her friends gave her a list of things that she will need to bring with her to basic training that the army does not provide:
Short sleeve undershirts (white or olive green - thermal in the winter) and socks headed the list as well as a good pair of sneakers and a watch with a stopwatch function. Underwear. Plastic sandals for the shower. Sweatpants and shorts. Sleep attire.
A bath towel and personal hygiene products including sunscreen. A lock. A pen and a pad. A pillowcase (he can use the big winter coat that he will get as a pillow) and blanketcover (they get a sleeping bag). Some garbage bags for laundry. Toiletpaper (the kind they have in the army is very rough).
His cellphone and charger. If he wears glasses than a spare pair in case he loses his or they break.
Obviously your son who is in a field unit may need other things as well but these are some basics for the beginning at least.

etky

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 5:11 pm
BTW there is a chain store called H&O, with branches all over the country, that sells the type of undershirts and socks that the chayalim wear. They also have a good selection of underwear and sleep attire.
Several times in the past when my sister knew I was going to the mall she asked me to pick up these items for my niece and nephews who are in the army. The prices are good and so is the quality.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 7:52 pm
Thanks for all the great info- weird question- do you know if the underwear/ undershirts etc. have to be a certain color.?

etky

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 2:14 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for all the great info- weird question- do you know if the underwear/ undershirts etc. have to be a certain color.?
e

Not weird at all - undershirts have to be white or olive green. Underwear- doesn't matter. I think socks for the men have to be grey or black.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 2:20 am
I just saw an ad this morning in a local magazine for something called the Lone Soldiers' Home Beit Shemesh. Here's the information in the ad:

Quote:
For more info:
gayle@lonesoldiercenter.com
www.lonesoldiercenter.com/homebeits
www.facebook.com/loneshbs

There are 2 names with cell phone numbers but I don't want to post them online. If you would like them, PM me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions