Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Books for a 8yo boy

Roses4me

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 12:37 pm
Could you recommend a good book or set of books. Even learning ones for a boy's 8th birthday?
We want to get something other than a toy. And he loves reading.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 2:19 pm
Cheery Bim Band .. about five friends that start a band. There are ten books in the series .... I remember loving them as a child.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 2:20 pm
what reading level? jewish or secular?

Roses4me

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 4:02 pm
I'm not sure what reading level.
Jewish would be best.
Thanks

Roses4me

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 4:04 pm
singleagain wrote:
Cheery Bim Band .. about five friends that start a band. There are ten books in the series .... I remember loving them as a child.

what are these books about?

singleagain

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 4:20 pm
Link and Synopsis of the first book:

http://www.amazingjewishbooks.......html

Overview
GMEET THE CHEERY BIM BAND! GAVRIEL WEINTRAUB: Bright and restless, he's constantly thinking up new things to do. And then one day he comes up with a really great idea for the Pirchei talent contest. SHAYA LEVIN: Smart and studious, he's more likely to be reading than performing in public. Gavriel's idea excites him, though, and soon he's coming up with suggestions of his own MOSHIE CHAIM KRAMER: Cheerful and competent, he can accomplish just about anything. And he'll really need his talents to get the band into the show. BINYAMIN WEINTRAUB: Eager to perform with his older brother Gavriel, he finally gets the chance he's been waiting for. YOSSI BELSKY._ As Binyamiri s best friend, he's thrilled to be together with him on this wonderful adventure. Together they form the CHEERY BIM BAND. Join them in their opening performance as they discover for themselves, and demonstrate to all, what courage and determination are all about.

12rivkyk34

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 11:44 pm
Jewish for an 8 year old boy-
Gemarakup Series (Detective work, short stories with solutions in the back. Fun & interesting.)
Chaim Walder- Kids Speak, People Speak, More Stories for Kids (All short stories geared towards and about school aged kids.)
Super Shoes- not a series but 1 very cute book
Savta Simcha Books (Very good for early chapter readers- has pictures but also high interest level & a lot of words.)
Benzi Books- very nice books with very age appropriate reading level & vocabulary. Kids love them!

gold21

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 11:49 pm
my 9 year old son reads a lot so he has read many different series

let me think

gonna check his book shelf and post back Wink

youngishbear

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 12:25 am
The Baker's Dozen had some boyish adventures in between the girlish drama.

There is a historical fiction series by Avner Gold that I loved.

They have beautiful Jewish encyclopedias, and chapter books of stories from the Navi in english.

I don't know what his reading level is, most of these may be too difficult for him.

Encyclopedia Brown (which Gemarakup is likely based on) is a good clean secular choice.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 12:30 am
And who can forget The Little Black Box? My favorite trilogy back then... It has boys and bombs and drama and great characters.

gold21

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 3:12 pm
ok so I dont know what his reading level is

I dont really care if my kids to read jewish books- I prefer clean secular books personally. thankfully there are still clean books out there for this age range. here are some non-jewish titles in case u decide to go that route.

my son loved the Pippi Longstocking books last summer when he was 8
he enjoyed the Mrs Piggle Wiggle books too
he started Roald Dahl last summer- The Giraffe, The Pelly, and Me is a great intro to Roald Dahl
There are the classic Frindle and Chocolate Fever and Muggy Maggy books (although u need to be able to read script letters for Muggie Maggie since the main charachter writes in script)

Lately he's been reading Encyclopedia Brown, any books relating to baseball Wink , at this moment he happens to have a big stack of books from the My Weirder School series (he loves them, they are very funny)

last year he loved the Magic Tree House series but he may have read them all or almost all by now lol

he has read a lot of books from the Roald Dahl series, although they are I have to say Mr Dahl had a very interesting sense of humor lol LOL - The Twits, Danny the Champion of the World, the BFG, etc etc

he didnt like Charlottes Web (felt bad for Wilbur lol) I remember

for jewish books, I honestly dont have a clue. I remember reading Bakers Dozen and BY Times growing up., but theyre geared for girls. I actually did enjoy them (especially the Bakers Dozen/ BY Times crossover book where they all get stuck in a storm, I think its Bakers Dozen #6 if I remember correctly?) but I didnt really relate to the charachters in the stories (theyre too perfect and whitewashed lol)

oh and theres always the Tintin comic books (theyre very kosher, nothing questionable- at least to my knowledge)- and every kid loves them- and every adult (myself included) Cool
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children