Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
No money
1  2  Next

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 11:55 am
My dh has been out of a job for the past five months. He's been looking into different job offers and going for interviews but nothing happened. I just had a baby so I'm not working and we are really struggling. Until now we used our savings for rent and other basics but we have nothing left. We can't pay rent this month and really don't know what to do. It's really affecting my dh because he feels responsible. I wish I could do something even from home to earn a few dollars but can't think of anything. We really need help. Sorry just venting

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 12:07 pm
Is there a tomchei shabbos or similar org in your area

zigi

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 12:08 pm
there are a few ways. www.swagbucks.com www.instagc.com they both work on the same principle watch videos and click on links, swagbucks has more promotions but I did well with both of them, you can buy giftcards or paypal and instagc gives checks. I do it to supplement income. and also instead of online time wasting I am earning. if you have a smart phone www.jingit.com www.checkout51.com jingit you get money for scanning items in store buying them and watching videos checkout 51 you get cash back after you scan your recipets and buying items that offer cash back.

can you teach any skills? bake class sewing etc for afterschool and on sundays? offer a service like toiveling or doing errands?

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 1:13 pm
Can your husband sign up for a temp agency or look for a retail job?

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 1:18 pm
Can you do some babysitting in your home?

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 1:20 pm
The Happy Wife wrote:
Can you do some babysitting in your home?

I was thinking of that but realized I have nothing in my house for them. I have a newborn so no toys just a swing and bassinet

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 1:21 pm
zigi wrote:
there are a few ways. www.swagbucks.com www.instagc.com they both work on the same principle watch videos and click on links, swagbucks has more promotions but I did well with both of them, you can buy giftcards or paypal and instagc gives checks. I do it to supplement income. and also instead of online time wasting I am earning. if you have a smart phone www.jingit.com www.checkout51.com jingit you get money for scanning items in store buying them and watching videos checkout 51 you get cash back after you scan your recipets and buying items that offer cash back.

can you teach any skills? bake class sewing etc for afterschool and on sundays? offer a service like toiveling or doing errands?
I've never heard of this and don't really understand it but I'll look at the websites and see thanks

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 3:12 pm
Temping is an excellent way for your husband to find work, and network while he's looking for a permanent position. Sometimes temp jobs move to permanent positions. I know fathers who are long term terms ( 6-8 month jobs) some of them have jobs that permit a great deal of flexibility and can give them added parenting time (and you some respite). It's certainly an option worth exploring.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 3:21 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Temping is an excellent way for your husband to find work, and network while he's looking for a permanent position. Sometimes temp jobs move to permanent positions. I know fathers who are long term terms ( 6-8 month jobs) some of them have jobs that permit a great deal of flexibility and can give them added parenting time (and you some respite). It's certainly an option worth exploring.

I know but it's hard to find even that

sneakermom

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 3:31 pm
Hang in there! My husband was out of a job a few years ago and it was really scary. BH everything turned out fine. I agree with others here to look for a temp job. Any temp job. It will tide you over until something permanent comes along.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 3:39 pm
sneakermom wrote:
Hang in there! My husband was out of a job a few years ago and it was really scary. BH everything turned out fine. I agree with others here to look for a temp job. Any temp job. It will tide you over until something permanent comes along.

How did you pay bills during that time? We're not coping now. We haven't paid rent. Don't know what to do. Don't know where to start looking for temp jobs. He's been applying and looking around for jobs that he's interested in. Don't know what else we can do

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 3:40 pm
amother wrote:
I know but it's hard to find even that

Are you saying it's hard to find temp agencies in your area? Or that he has registered with agencies but never called up? Municipalities, city and state government agencies also have temp work available. Have him check their employment sites.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 3:48 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Are you saying it's hard to find temp agencies in your area? Or that he has registered with agencies but never called up? Municipalities, city and state government agencies also have temp work available. Have him check their employment sites.
oh never heard of it. How do I find these agencies? Google? All cities have them?

sneakermom

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 3:51 pm
My father actually helped us out towards the end of the year when expenses piled up and we had no savings at that time.

I remember feeling really scared and worried that this was it. I couldn't see that things could get better because it felt so stuck. Nothing was moving. Tons of interviews. No offers. (It was a few years back during recession).

BH everything changed. Yeshuas Hashem khereph ayin. We each took upon ourselves something to do in the zechus of Parnassah. He actually first temped in a very boring job but it paid!! Eventually he got the job he was waiting for. IYH by you too!!!

Basically there are temp agencies you call and they get you a job. They get a commission for finding workers for different companies.

Wishing you Bracha and hatzlcha!!

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 3:53 pm
amother wrote:
oh never heard of it. How do I find these agencies? Google? All cities have them?

Yes all cities have them and the federal govt, states and municipalities all have websites. If you explore their websites you'll find their employment listings, have him search all of them and apply for each opening he's qualified for. The same with the state employment job listings. What kind of work does your husband do? Do he have specific knowledge, skills, experience or training in a particular field?

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 4:10 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Yes all cities have them and the federal govt, states and municipalities all have websites. If you explore their websites you'll find their employment listings, have him search all of them and apply for each opening he's qualified for. The same with the state employment job listings. What kind of work does your husband do? Do he have specific knowledge, skills, experience or training in a particular field?

He actually does something similar to your name title - computer work specifically magento work- he's certified in it . He's very smart and has a lot of knowledge. I think part of the reason why he could be having a hard time finding a job because he's jewish - with the beard, hat.....

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 4:13 pm
amother wrote:
I was thinking of that but realized I have nothing in my house for them. I have a newborn so no toys just a swing and bassinet

you can babysit in the childs house. Or ask the parent to send over a few toys, and borrow a few toys.

sneakermom

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 4:54 pm
My husband had a similar situation. Very smart and qualified but also a yarmulka and beard. Eventually the right place hired him and I think they are glad they did.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:

You can babysit newborns...and babies under 1 are happy with household "toys" like a pot and wooden spoon or an empty soda bottle or whatever.

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 6:40 pm
amother wrote:
How did you pay bills during that time? We're not coping now. We haven't paid rent. Don't know what to do. Don't know where to start looking for temp jobs. He's been applying and looking around for jobs that he's interested in. Don't know what else we can do

Can he also apply to jobs he's not so interested in? At this point is recommend applying to anything at all. He can always keep looking for something better.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics