Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Antibiotics on a fast day

harriet

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 5:14 pm
Yes, I know I can ask this to my LOR, just wondering what other people have been told/done in the past.

I am on a 3 week dose of antibiotics for a strongly suspected case of lyme disease (bull's eye rash developed on site of tick bite). I feel absolutely find bH but cannot take the medicine (which I take twice a day) on an empty stomach or I feel violently ill (happened twice already and when I make sure to take it with food, I'm fine).

I fast well and don't really want to not be able to fast just because of these two pills (or maybe just one as I can take one when I break the fast)? Should I just skip the morning one?

Fabulous

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 5:17 pm
Can you wake up early to take the pill with food before fast starts and second when you break it?

luppamom

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 5:20 pm
Really one for your LOR. It's a minor fast and it's a nidche. You don't lose anything by asking.

FTR, I once had strep and I was at the end of antibiotics (meaning, strep was gone, but I had to finish all the medicine) and when I asked if I could take the pills w/ water (they were huge). He said, "you don't have to fast".

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 5:24 pm
I was once on antibiotics over tisha b'av and they needed to be taken with food. I was told not to fast.

There's no need to be frummer than the Torah. Ask your rav, and follow what he says.

harriet

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 5:38 pm
But I LIKE fasting. . .

I like the idea of waking up to take it but the fast starts around 4 something in the morning and how will I not have an empty stomach then?

I think I'm going to just skip the one dose and take the second dose after the fast is over. . .

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 5:44 pm
No, no, no. It's not about what you like.

AYLOR.

Be guided by Lil Israeli.

luppamom

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 5:49 pm
harriet wrote:
But I LIKE fasting. . .

I like the idea of waking up to take it but the fast starts around 4 something in the morning and how will I not have an empty stomach then?

I think I'm going to just skip the one dose and take the second dose after the fast is over. . .

Don't worry. There is still Tisha B'av and Yom Kippur. Please don't fast if you don't have to. If you like fasting b/c it makes you feel the pain of the churban, there are other things to do besides fasting. Lil Israeli is totally right.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 7:58 pm
harriet wrote:
But I LIKE fasting. . .

Ask your rav. Tell him that if at all possible you would prefer to fast.
But check out the haftorah of Yom Kippur. Hashem wants more than our fasts. Maybe your avodah is to focus on the inner part of it all. (And it would be an excellent idea for everyone else to as well....)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions