Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Nearly 2 year old yells every time she makes a BM

lili

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 11:01 am
My poor baby seems to be terribly constipated or has some other problem! she used to make at least once a day but lately it's only every other day and she screams like crazy! I cant watch her suffer like this. I've tried calling the doctor but couldnt get through to her yet.
Has anyone experienced this? What can I do?
(she does drink a lot of milk, could that be the cause)

PAMOM

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 11:04 am
Try raisins or prune juice.

miami85

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 12:10 pm
Oh am I in the same boat--except my 2 year-old is almost 3--but I've been dealing with this for over a year now. Not only does he yell and shriek and DEMAND milk, he starts making other mischief and bothering his simblings. I don't think it's constipation as much as it's gas. When I feel his stomach when he's in one of his "moods" it's hard. I was in the store yesterday and he started up--running around uncontrollably, running out of the store despite many attempts to offer him something to motivate him to behave. At one point I held him and I felt a bubble shift--like in a baby when it burps and he calmed down a bit. I've taken him to a GI but didn't resolve much except lowering his milk intake--but now he's on maybe 2-3 1/2 cups a day. I' asked the GI for a follow-up but I've been too busy. Will try to make an appointment next week.

gold21

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 12:50 pm
It is very possible your child's constipation stems from her withholding the stool (common and can be related to toilet training readiness)

I highly recommend Miralax

Start with half a dose and ease her up to a full dose after a couple of days

Works like a charm

And discuss with your pediatrician

Sincerely, a mom of a 2 yrold whose btdt Wink

gold21

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 12:55 pm
Also- if the child is ever in severe pain from constipation, a saline enema (half a bottle for this age should probably be enough) is considered a good option. But don't use on a regular basis. Fleet makes these enemas- sold over the counter.

smss

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 1:07 pm
miami85 wrote:
Oh am I in the same boat--except my 2 year-old is almost 3--but I've been dealing with this for over a year now. Not only does he yell and shriek and DEMAND milk, he starts making other mischief and bothering his simblings. I don't think it's constipation as much as it's gas. When I feel his stomach when he's in one of his "moods" it's hard. I was in the store yesterday and he started up--running around uncontrollably, running out of the store despite many attempts to offer him something to motivate him to behave. At one point I held him and I felt a bubble shift--like in a baby when it burps and he calmed down a bit. I've taken him to a GI but didn't resolve much except lowering his milk intake--but now he's on maybe 2-3 1/2 cups a day. I' asked the GI for a follow-up but I've been too busy. Will try to make an appointment next week.

2-3.5 cups of milk a day is definitely enough to constipate someone who's sensitive. Why don't you just take him off dairy completely? He's 2...so what if he demands it. Don't give it to him. I mean, surely it would be easier for you to live through a few tantrums than live through this for over a year?!

ETA: Have you tried offering alternative milks? There are some pretty yummy almond milks, for example...

miami85

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 3:04 pm
smss wrote:
2-3.5 cups of milk a day is definitely enough to constipate someone who's sensitive. Why don't you just take him off dairy completely? He's 2...so what if he demands it. Don't give it to him. I mean, surely it would be easier for you to live through a few tantrums than live through this for over a year?!

ETA: Have you tried offering alternative milks? There are some pretty yummy almond milks, for example...

He's on Lactaid--and I said 1/2 cups--so we're talking about 12-15 oz total per day. The Lactaid improved things somewhat, but not totally. It's gas more than constipation, but he likes dairy so it's hard to take him off of it entirely. We tried taking him off dairy but he didn't like the almond or soy milk

smss

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 4:12 pm
miami85 wrote:
He's on Lactaid--and I said 1/2 cups--so we're talking about 12-15 oz total per day. The Lactaid improved things somewhat, but not totally. It's gas more than constipation, but he likes dairy so it's hard to take him off of it entirely. We tried taking him off dairy but he didn't like the almond or soy milk

Yes, some kids can't handle even Lactaid. I'm speaking from experience here...I have a DD who is sensitive to dairy and while she loves it and wants it, we haven't given it to her for 2 years because that's what she needs. Just seems like it would be worth your while if this is affecting him and your whole family so much...

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 03 2015, 11:52 pm
DD didn't outgrow her lactose intolerance until she was around 9. If she got ahold of dairy, she turned into a MONSTER. She went from sweet and cooperative to totally out of control and defiant, sulky, kvetchy, and all around awful to be a with.

Do you really want to give into those tantrums for a dairy treat?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics