Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
2 months pregnant, can I fast?

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 12:08 pm
Hi, so I was wondering if this is just accepted or it's an "ask your LOR" kinda thing.
I learned that pregnant women don't have to fast but does it depend on what month your in, and how much should you eat? Just wanted to know if I should ask s/o or if it's something just accepted...

m in Israel

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 12:24 pm
Isn't it a bit late to be asking this question? Wink

In any case, there are definitely different opinions, but I believe it is extremely common in most circles to hold that pregnant women at any stage of a pregnancy do not fast except for Tisha B'Av or Yom Kippur. Some poskim may say to start/ try till chatzos, etc, but many will tell you not to attempt at all, and to just eat normally.

There is a concept to be slightly more machmir within the first 3 months, but certainly if you are feeling at all sick you would likely not be told to fast.

Additionally, since this year it is a nidche (the real date was Shabbos), the halachos are even more lenient. In fact even Tisha B'Av this year has more leniencies than usual, due to its nidche status, although obviously you need to ask a posek about that.

amother
White

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 12:26 pm
I'm almost 2 months preg. According to my rav I don't have to fast when preg (especially because I"m taking care of other kids).
Many times I'd push myself but I am not now because:
1. Its hot outside
2. I'm nauseous
3. Its a nidcha
4. Main reason: I HAVE to fast on tisha b'av and I find when I fast too close to each other it makes the second fast more difficult so if I eat now tisha b'av will be more manageable. . Same with Tzom G'dalia and Yom kippur.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 12:27 pm
amother wrote:
Hi, so I was wondering if this is just accepted or it's an "ask your LOR" kinda thing.
I learned that pregnant women don't have to fast but does it depend on what month your in, and how much should you eat? Just wanted to know if I should ask s/o or if it's something just accepted...

Of course you should ask. I'm you'll get a dif opinion by every LOR.
(theres nothing to be ashamed of asking from a LOR in every aspect in life.)

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 12:34 pm
HI, thanks for the responses (I know it's late but embarrassing to admit but I kind of just woke up..lol obviously this will be my first child) My husband is going to want to ask a Rabbi anyway in the end so oh well. The only reason why I didn't want to ask a Rabbi was because my parents don't even know I'm pregnant yet so I feel weird having his Rabbi know but guess I have to. I hope it will be ok because I'm really craving a bagel and cc right now...

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 12:37 pm
Pregnant woman do not have to fast on 17 Tamuz

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 12:41 pm
I'm only at one month, but the rov at my husband's shul told my husband I shouldn't fast.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 12:45 pm
amother wrote:
I'm almost 2 months preg. According to my rav I don't have to fast when preg (especially because I"m taking care of other kids).
Many times I'd push myself but I am not now because:
1. Its hot outside
2. I'm nauseous
3. Its a nidcha
4. Main reason: I HAVE to fast on tisha b'av and I find when I fast too close to each other it makes the second fast more difficult so if I eat now tisha b'av will be more manageable. . Same with Tzom G'dalia and Yom kippur.

You don't HAVE to fast on 9 Av when pregnant. I got a heter not to last year when I was pregnant (Lousy faster + Braxton hicks)

amother
White

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 1:23 pm
I know my rav very well. I will NOT get a heter to not fast tisha b'av unless I get sick or really don't feel well. He is not lenient regarding tisha b'av even if it is a nidcha. Last time it was a nidcha I think I was nursing and I was one of the few fasting the entire day. (I am family with my rav and I know he loves me very much Smile and has my best interest at heart so it doesn't bother me). I'm not a lousy faster, for the most part b'h have reltatively easy pregnancies and have no concerns. I'm sure if it was different for me I would get a heter.
Many rabbanim will give a women a heter for tisha b'av nidcha so it does make sense to ask.

I know what you mean about it being weird to ask your rav. I just asked my rav for opinions about the drs I was thinking about using - but mentioned no one else in the family knows and asked him not to share and I know he will not even tell his wife. When asking a halachic sheila it is very different then sharing the news (as the perspective of someone with someone in rabbanis).

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:
HI, thanks for the responses (I know it's late but embarrassing to admit but I kind of just woke up..lol obviously this will be my first child) My husband is going to want to ask a Rabbi anyway in the end so oh well. The only reason why I didn't want to ask a Rabbi was because my parents don't even know I'm pregnant yet so I feel weird having his Rabbi know but guess I have to. I hope it will be ok because I'm really craving a bagel and cc right now...

I think my rav is always the first person we tell. Not that we plan it that way, but shailos always seem to come up.

B'shaa tova!

luppamom

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 2:25 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
I think my rav is always the first person we tell. Not that we plan it that way, but shailos always seem to come up.

B'shaa tova!

Ditto! I was about to write that.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 3:30 pm
Forgive my asking a stupid question, but doesn't anyone consider asking the obstetrician?

morah

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 4:00 pm
amother wrote:
I know my rav very well. I will NOT get a heter to not fast tisha b'av unless I get sick or really don't feel well. He is not lenient regarding tisha b'av even if it is a nidcha. Last time it was a nidcha I think I was nursing and I was one of the few fasting the entire day. (I am family with my rav and I know he loves me very much Smile and has my best interest at heart so it doesn't bother me). I'm not a lousy faster, for the most part b'h have reltatively easy pregnancies and have no concerns. I'm sure if it was different for me I would get a heter.
Many rabbanim will give a women a heter for tisha b'av nidcha so it does make sense to ask.

I know what you mean about it being weird to ask your rav. I just asked my rav for opinions about the drs I was thinking about using - but mentioned no one else in the family knows and asked him not to share and I know he will not even tell his wife. When asking a halachic sheila it is very different then sharing the news (as the perspective of someone with someone in rabbanis).

Regarding the weirdness, do you find it weird that your doctor knows before your parents do? Of course not, your doctor NEEDS to know ASAP, and unless you call your parents as soon as you get the pee stick result, that means the doc will know before they they do. Think of the rav this way too. Shailas come up early on- some people spot, fast days, becoming Ill on Shabbos etc. Telling the rav is not like announcing it to other people you. If you have a halacha question, he's as much on a need-to-know basis as your doctor.

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 5:37 pm
I'm just posting this to let you know that there are those who have an opinion that pregnant and nursing women do fast on these days well.

I did ask my LOR (Rav) each time, and it was paskened that I should fast. (This was never a blanket statement being applied to me, it was very specific to my situation.)

In my first pregnancy, I read that some rabaim hold the opinion that pregnant and nursing women should fast on days besides Yom Kippur, and one should ask their Rav. So I asked, and it turned out, he held that I should fast, provided that I was feeling well, and fast easily. (Both true in my case.) Basically, in all fasts, (except for Yom Kippur) you can call your Rav on the phone at any point to give him an update on how you are feeling if need be. (Hopefully on YK, you will have another way to communicate.) It actually happened one time that he called me on the day of the fast because a few days before I was asking him about how to handle an illness I was going through for the upcoming Shabbos. He said that if I still felt that same way, I should break my fast.

I don't know exactly the criteria that Rabbaim use to decide that a woman should fast, but basically when you call, he will ask very specific questions such as how you are feeling, how far along you are and all that. He will give you guidance as to when it is appropriate to break your fast, and leave ways open to call him at any time.

I'm just posting this so that you should be aware that this opinion exists. I'm not looking for people to change their minhag or practice if this is not what you do. Obviously, talk to your Rav before each fast, and during if necessary.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note