Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Nanny question

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 6:57 pm
I have a cleaning lady/nanny who lives in my house. She stays 5 days a week but at her leisure also works shabbos sometimes and sometimes not. I have always left it up to her. If I have company and it's going to be a big cleanup she chooses not to stay and she also doesn't do my house thoroughly so twice a month I have a cleaning lady for a few hours to fill in where she lacks.
Slowly my kids have come to know the cleaning lady and fell in love with her. So I started having her sometimes on Shabbos and she would play with the kids way more than the first one does. I once looked outside and the cleaning lady was playing tag with them and the kids had the biggest smiles on their faces. Whereas a lot of time my regular babysitter is looking at her phone when watching the kids. My oldest is 6 and she once complained to me the sitter isn't paying attention to them and I can see that...
Anyway, the cleaning lady on Shabbos is 40 dollars less than if my babysitter stays because I just have the cleaning lady from 12-4 (help with lunch cleanup and a few hours with kids is all I need). But last week my regular babysitter told me she wants to work every single Shabbos till end of month because she needs to the money. But I do not want her and I don't know how to tell her! I had been thinking of cutting out all Shabbos altogether with her! I just didn't feel she was worth it.....
But I have to be sensitive if I cut her out because she's in need of the extra money and we are in need of saving ours so that day makes a difference. Even if it's saving 40 dollars and having the other lady come every other week instead. What do I say?
Ps I was so relieved that this week I gave her paid vacation on Friday so I didn't have her on Shabbos. She asked me if she could come back and work and I pay for time and a half but I said no thank you it's not needed!!!
I do not know how to say I dont need her on Shabbos when she told me she needs the extra money. She can get a job for weekends but I am not sure that will happen so easily for her.

studying_torah

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 7:29 pm
Is it possible to hire the cleaning lady to be the nanny? It sounds like she's way more attentive and that your kids like her much better?

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 7:35 pm
I wish but she has a night job in an office building as part of a cleaning crew which helps her because she gets health insurance that way - I think she starts around 4/5 pm. She also has other customers I am sure other people love her too - but nothing so regular because often when I call her shes free though not always.....

studying_torah

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 7:36 pm
Ah what a pity.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 7:37 pm
She is night and day from my babysitter. Always wants to be moving and doing something if the kids are busy she tries to clean, if the kids are playing, she joins them. But then I think as nice as that is, a person who does that full time may burn out. Perhaps she can be that way because it's once every few weeks....

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 7:40 pm
The kids run to hug and kiss her when she walks in. They love her.
My sitter is not as loving to them. The other day my sitter lifted my 4 year old by the arms to carry her and my dd cried ow you are hurting me. I was right there and I looked and saw her arm was red. I told the sitter dont pick her up that way its bad for the shoulder sockets. The other lady is so gentle with them. Also my sitter keeps long nails which scratched my dd the other day but I do not know I can say anything! (Thats def a diff topic)

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 8:31 pm
Sounds like it's time to look for a new sitter. It doesn't seem like she's working out for you on many levels. If she doesn't clean well, that's one thing, but hurting your children....

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 8:46 pm
I know I need to find someone new. She's def not a bad person and she cares about the kids I've seen that but she also isn't the most nurturing and gentle. But my immediate issue is what do I do about shabboses now if I don't want her to stay every week but she wants too and I don't want her bitter during the week?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics