Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Discussing non-Jews with children
Previous  1  2

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 9:27 am
I'm in The eastern usa so lots of non Jews aroubd. It's not just teaching the kids that we are the chosen nation, it was also taught that the non jews are less than us, not good ppl, we can't play with them etc.
I try very hard to reach my kids to behave w derech eretz to all ppl. But a lot is ingrained from a young age.

amother
White

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 10:48 am
I’m bumping this old thread because we are dealing with something similar - nieces and nephews say terrible things about non-Jews, meanwhile I’m a convert and have so many lovely non-Jewish relatives. It was tough enough to hear this when it was only my husband and me. Now that we have children I really don’t want my kids hearing one side of the family constantly bash the other, even if they’re not talking about specific people. Curious to hear what the current crop of posters think.

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 12:08 pm
Are these nieces and nephews children or adults? If children (maybe adults too? less certain) I would explicitly bring it up with their parents. I'm assumign they know you are a convert and they must know that it is forbidden to cause pain to someone about their conversion - and this applies for generations, e.g. your children. Leaving aside the idea that their comments would be obnoxious in any setting, you can at least try to adjust how it affects you personally. It could be uncomfortable but this is your halachic right and for the sake of your children you can come on as strong as you need to.

amother
Mayflower

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 12:10 pm
It is a real distinction that the kids are trying to process. Help them do so in a genuine toradik positive way.
Hatzlocha
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children