Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
How to hard boil eggs

pickle321

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 4:43 am
How do you hard boil a few eggs so that it comes out perfect?

alittlebirdie

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 4:48 am
I once heard that you boil the water till it reaches a certain temp then cover the pot and turn off the fire and leave covered for 10 min and then wash off with cold water. I don't remember the temp. But I tried it aprx and it really works

kalsee

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 6:06 am
I like to boil it for 1-2 minutes , and then leave it in the water for 10-15 minutes.

Also, I put salt in the water and I find it helps keep the eggs from cracking and leaking

The Happy Wife

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 6:14 am
Cover eggs in pot with water. Bring to full rolling boil. Cover pot and turn off burner. Let it sit on hot burner for 15 min.

Smile1234

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 7:32 am
What I do is let the eggs boil for ten minute and then run them under cold water. Could be I do it wrong;)

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 7:42 am
To be honest, I use eggtimer--the plastic oval thingie you boil with eggs, and it has several rings that changes colour depending on whether you want soft boiled, hard boiled, in-between. I find it the most reliable, regardless of numbers of eggs you boil. Agree 200% with the above poster to run them under cold water once done, cooling it quickly makes it easier to peel off shells.

alittlebirdie

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 7:50 am
What came first the chicken or the egg? Think about it while your eggs are boiling!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 8:27 am
Cover eggs with water by 1 inch. Add half a teaspoon baking soda to make eggs easy to peel even the next day. Bring to a boil over medium heat. When the water has reached a boil, cover pot and remove from heat. Let sit 12 minutes. Place under running water until eggs are completely cool.

Tehila1

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 8:46 am
after you finished cooking the eggs, pour cold water over it and let it sit in cold water, this will make it easy to peel...

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 8:55 am
ra_mom wrote:
Cover eggs with water by 1 inch. Add half a teaspoon baking soda to make eggs easy to peel even the next day. Bring to a boil over medium heat. When the water has reached a boil, cover pot and remove from heat. Let sit 12 minutes. Place under running water until eggs are completely cool.

I heard adding vinegar to the water so the shells don't crack. I guess you can't do everything, but it would be fun to try!

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 9:55 am
Iymnok wrote:
I heard adding vinegar to the water so the shells don't crack. I guess you can't do everything, but it would be fun to try!

I believe the purpose of adding vinegar is so that if a shell does crack, the white doesn't leak out. I don't think it prevents cracking.

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:22 am
Iymnok wrote:

Adding vinegar makes the shells easier to peel. I boil in salt water that has been stirred clockwise. I read that below the equator it should be stirred counter. I couldn't tell you the reason.

chicco

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:52 am
So I am very proud of this discovery, because they really come out PERFECT every time. Perfect yellow, no ring of green or gray, and the peel comes right off. And it is pretty fool proof.

Put eggs in a pot and just cover with water, not too much more. Set on stove on a medium flame and leave them there for 25 minutes. After, turn off the flame and drain. Cover with cold water to stop the cooking process. If you peel immediately the shells will come right off.

Enjoy!

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 11:38 am
Smile1234 wrote:
What I do is let the eggs boil for ten minute and then run them under cold water. Could be I do it wrong;)

If it works, how can it be wrong?

oohlala

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 11:56 am
Here's what I read in Mark Bittman's"How to Cook Everything."
Cover eggs with water and cook until rolling boil. Remove pot from heat and cover. Let sit for 9 minutes exactly. Then run cold water over it or put eggs in an ice water bath.
What is so nice about this is that my yolks never come out green or chalky...always smooth and creamy:) yum.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 12:32 pm
If you let the eggs come to room temperature before starting to cook them they won't crack.

Also, even if an egg does crack (the hairline kind of crack) putting the eggs in an ice water bath (rinse eggs several times with cold water, fill pot with cold water and add ice) will seal the cracks again.

I cook eggs for 6-10 minutes, once it reaches a rolling boil I set the timer for six minutes. Sometimes I don't get to it for a few minutes hence the 6-10 mins. Immediately rinse with cold water and place in ice bath.

pickle321

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 1:52 pm
So many different responses now I don't know which one to choose lol

shanie5

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 11:43 pm
to confuse you even more, I will add my way. Put eggs in pot with water. boil. when starts to boil, time it for 7 minutes-continue cooking, dont remove from flame. Immediately rinse in cold water.
Adding salt to the water makes them easier to peel. But using "old" eggs is even easier. Eggs that are two weeks old (before boiling) peel much easier than fresh eggs.

If you keep hard boiled eggs in the fridge, but never remember which are hard boiled and which are uncooked, here is an easy tip: When boiling the eggs, add a few peels from an onion. The shells will tint a brownish shade and you will be able to tell that they are the cooked ones. It does not affect the flavor of the eggs at all.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 2:46 am
Or spin them. Hard boiled spin a long tome, raw spin about three turns.

pickle321

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 4:40 am
Thanks for the tips! Eggs are on the stove now hope they come out good Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics