Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
The recipe game. I have three ingredients.
1  2  3  Next

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 6:56 pm
You get to add three to make a entree, appetizer, salad, soup, or desert. Raw spices don't count, compounded flavorings like duck sauce count towards your three.

I'll start, I have chicken drumsticks, cabbage and onions.

ETA: Once you offer a recipe you get to offer three ingredients. Quoting the post you reply to helps. (Apologies for not making this clear, my friends and I play this in person or via email when we need inspiration for dinner.)

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Mon, Jul 06 2015, 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 7:04 pm
ok, I'd mince some onion and garlic (ok, a ton of onions and garlic). rub the chicken drumsticks with a little oil, salt and pepper. pile on heaps of minced onions and garlic. bake uncovered so that the tops of the heaps end up crunchy. as for cabbage, slice some onions and garlic, fry in oil with some salt and pepper. simple food.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 7:06 pm
Season and broil the drumsticks.
Saute the onion with cabbage, season and toss with bow tie noodles. You can add some carrots julienne for color.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 7:12 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Season and broil the drumsticks.
Saute the onion with cabbage, season and toss with bow tie noodles. You can add some carrots julienne for color.

Good job!! I'd eat that.

Duh, I forgot the progression of the game. You now can offer three ingredients.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 7:13 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
ok, I'd mince some onion and garlic (ok, a ton of onions and garlic). rub the chicken drumsticks with a little oil, salt and pepper. pile on heaps of minced onions and garlic. bake uncovered so that the tops of the heaps end up crunchy. as for cabbage, slice some onions and garlic, fry in oil with some salt and pepper. simple food.

Your turn to offer three ingredients.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 7:43 pm
ah. hmm.

kabocha squash, scallions, eggs.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 7:59 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
ah. hmm.

kabocha squash, scallions, eggs.

OK I'll bite. Halve and remove seeds from kabocha squash. Bake for 1hr till soft inside. Scoop out orange flesh, discard hard dark skin outside. Sautee onions, add kabocha and cover with enough water. Season with onion soup mix, and cook till very soft. Blend in hand-held liquidiser. Beat eggs and stir gradually into hot soup as egg drops. Garnish with finely chopped scallions.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 8:05 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
OK I'll bite. Halve and remove seeds from kabocha squash. Bake for 1hr till soft inside. Scoop out orange flesh, discard hard dark skin outside. Sautee onions, add kabocha and cover with enough water. Season with onion soup mix, and cook till very soft. Blend in hand-held liquidiser. Beat eggs and stir gradually into hot soup as egg drops. Garnish with finely chopped scallions.

just a tip: you can bake squash whole until soft. I do it all the time.

anyway, list your ingredients.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 8:05 pm
Or, Halve and remove seeds from kabocha. Make a stuffing with minced meat (or minced turkey), chopped scallion, egg, matza meal and hamburger seasoning (or mixed salt). Stuff the hollowed part loosely, cover with foil and bake 1.5hour or so till kabocha is soft and stuffing is cooked.

Next 3 ingredients: avocado, apple, lentil.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 8:27 pm
I'm a little confused about the rules of the game.

I think you said you get to add 3 other things to the first 3, but no more. Is that right?

Add onion and spices to make lentil soup, add mango to make an avocado and mango salad, bake apples with cinnamon or honey for dessert.

Salmon, tomato, quinoa.

Last edited by imasinger on Mon, Jul 06 2015, 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 8:29 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Or, Halve and remove seeds from kabocha. Make a stuffing with minced meat (or minced turkey), chopped scallion, egg, matza meal and hamburger seasoning (or mixed salt). Stuff the hollowed part loosely, cover with foil and bake 1.5hour or so till kabocha is soft and stuffing is cooked.

Next 3 ingredients: avocado, apple, lentil.

Vegetarian lentil chili (spices only), guacamole (spices only) and a baked apple. I'd take yogurt for topping the chili and ingredient #1.

Next: Tomatoes, potatoes, eggs.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 8:29 pm
imasinger wrote:
I'm a little confused about the rules of the game.

I think you said you get to add 3 other things to the first 3, but no more. Is that right?

Correct.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 8:45 pm
Tomatoes, potato, eggs.

I have to respond to this one because it was what I just made for dinner tonight.

Peel potato, cube small. Fry in oil until soft and starting to brown. Add garlic salt and pepper to taste. Add scrambled eggs (2-3 to each medium to large potato), add onion flakes. This is a kid favorite. Use the tomato with a couple of other veggies on the side, either as a salad, or a crudites. Fruit for dessert.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 9:37 pm
imasinger wrote:
Tomatoes, potato, eggs.

I have to respond to this one because it was what I just made for dinner tonight.

Peel potato, cube small. Fry in oil until soft and starting to brown. Add garlic salt and pepper to taste. Add scrambled eggs (2-3 to each medium to large potato), add onion flakes. This is a kid favorite. Use the tomato with a couple of other veggies on the side, either as a salad, or a crudites. Fruit for dessert.

Your turn to post 3 ingredients. (I usually fry the spuds, throw in the mixed eggs and some shredded corn tortillas and top with the tomatoes and let it cook a bit.)

imasinger

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:45 pm
I posted it before -- salmon, tomato, quinoa. Since you just did tomato, I'll change it to peppers.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 11:17 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Good job!! I'd eat that.

Duh, I forgot the progression of the game. You now can offer three ingredients.

I have boneless chicken thighs (skin on), white rice, carrots...

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 4:24 am
imasinger wrote:
I posted it before -- salmon, tomato, quinoa. Since you just did tomato, I'll change it to peppers.

Did you know you can cook salmon in your dish washer? I'm dying to try this during the 9 days. The bigger the salmon, the more moist it comes out. Wrap salmon and spices of your choice in several layers of tinfoil, or in a heavy duty ziplock bag. Place on the top rack, and make sure you set the machine to "air dry", NOT "heat dry". You can even do the rest of the dishes while you're running the cycle.

Make quinoia as usual, add diced tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion (bell peppers optional). Season with salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil, and fresh lemon juice to taste. Use white balsamic vinegar if you don't have fresh lemons on hand. This is my go-to recipe for Pesach, because I hate matzo and get tired of potatoes. This keeps for days in the refrigerator, and tastes better after a few days.

The perfect light meal for hot summer days, and you won't heat up your kitchen. :-)

Ground beef, bananas, ramen noodles.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 11:15 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Did you know you can cook salmon in your dish washer? I'm dying to try this during the 9 days. The bigger the salmon, the more moist it comes out. Wrap salmon and spices of your choice in several layers of tinfoil, or in a heavy duty ziplock bag. Place on the top rack, and make sure you set the machine to "air dry", NOT "heat dry". You can even do the rest of the dishes while you're running the cycle..[/b]

The Sidetracked Home Executive sisters do this in their gourmet book. (They also have a technique for pounding steaks: wrap them well. Really well. I think towels are involved. Put them in your driveway and carefully back over them.)

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 11:21 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Did you know you can cook salmon in your dish washer? I'm dying to try this during the 9 days. The bigger the salmon, the more moist it comes out. Wrap salmon and spices of your choice in several layers of tinfoil, or in a heavy duty ziplock bag. Place on the top rack, and make sure you set the machine to "air dry", NOT "heat dry". You can even do the rest of the dishes while you're running the cycle.

Make quinoia as usual, add diced tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion (bell peppers optional). Season with salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil, and fresh lemon juice to taste. Use white balsamic vinegar if you don't have fresh lemons on hand. This is my go-to recipe for Pesach, because I hate matzo and get tired of potatoes. This keeps for days in the refrigerator, and tastes better after a few days.

The perfect light meal for hot summer days, and you won't heat up your kitchen. :-)

Ground beef, bananas, ramen noodles.

make a meat sauce with onions, canned chopped tomatoes and spices of choice. Serve with cooked ramen noodles.

sprinkle bananas with brown sugar and grill for a bit.

ground chicken, cauliflower and beetroots

centurion

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 11:56 am
chicken meatloaf with breadcrumbs, eggs, and spices. I tend to lean towards cumin and turmeric with some sort of hot pepper spice. Roasted cauliflower- popcorn style: salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powders tossed and baked. beetroots steamed in the microwave dressed with lemon and olive oil. if allotted another ingredient, I would also toss in some red onion.

ribeye steak, bulgur, cherries
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen