Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Looking for a Sem in EY for a quasi-BT girl

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 4:45 pm
I'm mentoring a teenage girl who is interested in spending a year in Sem after highschool.

Her family is what I would describe traditional, attends an orthodox shul and keeps kosher at home but not completely shomer Shabbat/kashrut. A typical US (united synagogue) family, if you're familiar with Anglo-Jewry. The girl is highly intelligent and articulate, but has limited Tanach knowledge and VERY limited Hebrew language skill, as she only went to Jewish primary school but goes to a non-Jewish school.

Her parents are somewhat sceptical, and more than anything their daughter will turn superfrum. They hope she'll have a place in uni, and definitely do not want her to take shana bet. I don't think they have family members in Israel, they are thinking of secular volunteering or other kind of gap year, but I want to present learning in Israel as an option.

The family is going to visit Israel over summer holiday and she is interested in visiting a number of sems. Does anyone know of sems that would be appropriate for this girl? Are sem offices open in summer and would they welcome potential student visiting?

She has absolutely no interest in tzniut so not interested in sems with dress codes.

theotherone

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 6:01 pm
What about the overseas program at bar ilan? Israelxp.com

nylon

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 8:03 pm
Not a sem but Young Judaea year course has an observant track. It is a bit more of a gap year experience than pure sem but might be an option. I don't know which MO sems really have options for girls who didn't go to a Jewish high school.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 8:05 pm
Maybe Maayanot? It is a Chabad Kiruv sem, but because it is Chabad it may be geared towards people who are more intellectual and have life experience.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 9:38 pm
Nevey?

momaleh

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 11:15 pm
Is Michlelet Esther still around? SOunds right. Or N'vei.

EBY

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 11:33 pm
Machon Maayan. They have learning and internships and get a lot of BT types in all different stages of growth. And an excellent faculty.

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 3:18 am
Midreshet Rachel. It's a BT sem but takes FFB's sometimes, and the dress code is very loose.

ora_43

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 3:25 am
Nishmat (in Jerusalem) has a program for English speakers. I don't mean the year abroad program for American kids from MO high schools - they also have an MO program for people with a more limited background.

I don't know about dress code.

rosehill

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 3:45 am
Maybe Midreshet Torah V'avodah?
(Can't link now, but you can google it).
A friend's daughter was there this past year and loved it. Mixes learning with volunteering etc. I don't think its too heavy on the dress code.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 4:57 am
Ok Thanks very much for suggestions. I'll see if I can find more info on websites. About the dress codes, are the places mentioned OK with girls coming in short sleeve T-shirts and skinny jeans? Also in general, when does one apply to sem? Autumn to winter in the final year of high school? As she goes to a non-Jewish school (though with mostly Jewish friends), there is no organised Sem visits or application help. Mixing with volunteer work or trips would probably suit her most.

nylon

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 8:08 am
Michlelet Esther closed and I do not think these parents would be comfortable with any Neve type seminary. Nishmat might be an option that would appeal to them more. I also think they would not be comfortable with Midreshet Rachel.

Does Bnei Akiva still do year course?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 8:12 am
Midreshet Rachel is a pretty diverse crowd. I have friends of all types from left to right wing who spent time there. Its goal is really to teach text skills. It expects you to figure out the hashkafa on your own. It really is geared towards those who have finished college though.

I have heard great things about the young judea program.

nyer1

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 8:13 am
another vote for madreshet rachel

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 11:31 am
OK. Do these course take women who have done textual studies or absolute beginners? The girl I mentor has almost no textual skills, she's struggling to say shmone esrei. Though she would do well if English texts are provided.

BA--my understanding is that they will only let students join Israel programme if they have 'worked their way up' in previous years in svivot and in madchichim duties. So allegedly you just cannot join as a gap year.

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 1:12 pm
Midreshet Rachel takes all levels, provided they can read the alef beis. A lot of the other classes (Shabbos, bein adam l'chaveiro, etc.) are in English. And it's true that they are mostly post-college, but they do take mature 18-year-olds too.

PAMOM

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 1:35 pm
Another vote here for Shalem, Young Judaea's year course program for Modern Orthodox kids. It also has kids who are searching or who are orthodox but may not have the language skills to study at a seminary, as well as MO kids who want a coed Zionist program. Google it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics