Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
My doctor wants me to supplement!
Previous  1  2  3

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 8:18 pm
His being happy and making diapers are good, but what about these "minor milestones" thingys? What's that??

That sounds a little more complicated and subtle. A non-doctor might miss that part. I never heard of that. Somebody google it.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 10:08 pm
amother wrote:
My baby is almost 3 months and weighs 9 pounds .Three weeks ago he weighed 7/50.The doctor is concerned about his weight and wants me to supplement with formula! I really don't want to unless its necessary! Is.his weight really bad for a baby that was born five pounds and is gaining weight?
I looked into this further. According to my pediatrician and research that I have done, babies are expected to double their birth weight by about 5 months. According to this, your baby's growth is just fine.

Were there any reasons other than weight that the doctor gave you for recommending that you supplement? Because if weight is the only factor, then I would agree you need a new doctor.

For those who are saying "don't bash the doctor," questioning is not bashing. And one should certainly question a doctor, particularly if he gives no explanation for his recommendation and it doesn't seem to make sense.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 4:49 am
My doctor told me to supplement and within 3 weeks I was no longer able to nurse because he preferred the bottle as it's faster. Be careful, kiddo.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 5:40 am
Its OP,thank you for all your advice .Im glad I clarified it with my doctor!He said because ofv the weight number is low he wanted me to supplement but he did not look at the growth chart.So he checked the growth chart now and said amount of weight gained is good and he is gaining weight very consistently and that's excellent and as long as it continues this way, we dont have to supplement . He recommended that we bring him in for a weigh in in 2 more weeks. Originally when he told me to supplement the nurse had passed on the weight number to the doctor and he did not look at the growth chart but once I questioned him, he did .

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 12:58 pm
amother wrote:
Its OP,thank you for all your advice .Im glad I clarified it with my doctor!He said because ofv the weight number is low he wanted me to supplement but he did not look at the growth chart.So he checked the growth chart now and said amount of weight gained is good and he is gaining weight very consistently and that's excellent and as long as it continues this way, we dont have to supplement . He recommended that we bring him in for a weigh in in 2 more weeks. Originally when he told me to supplement the nurse had passed on the weight number to the doctor and he did not look at the growth chart but once I questioned him, he did .

And that's why we need to TALK to a doctor, ASK questions, and UNDERSTAND what and why s/he's saying or advising something. Some people get so scared, "But the doctor said..." and they think they simply must obey. The doctor was lazy to check it up on the chart, and you, had you not asked us here, might have found yourself losing your supply because of that.

In the future, ask questions of your doctor. Understand what he's saying. And realize that doctors are not g-d. And it's not called bashing a doctor to question his advice.

5*Mom

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:

Yay mom!

But seriously, you really should find a new doctor. That was lazy and unprofessional and could have had detrimental consequences for your baby and you. And he shouldn't have to look at the growth chart. He's a pediatrician; he should know off the top of his head that weight gain from 5 lbs at birth to 9 lbs in 3 months is good growth.

And also, there is NO reason to weigh him again in 2 weeks. There was no reason to be concerned in the first place and there is no reason to be concerned now. Skip it and don't give it a second thought.

Sorry, incompetent professionals--specifically medical professionals--are a HUGE pet peeve of mine. /rant
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics