Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Meat loaf
1  2  Next

Petra

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 8:35 pm
Anyone make meat loaf? I had it as a kid but doesn't seem like such a "Jewish" dish.

CatLady

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 8:47 pm
I make meat loaf. In fact, now I want to make it just so I can have yummy leftover meat loaf sandwiches for lunches!

PAMOM

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 8:52 pm
I make meatloaf. Part beef, part turkey, chopped mushrooms and onions, spices, bread crumbs (sometimes), an egg, tomato paste.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 9:01 pm
Good meatloaf is delish and like Cat Lady, I love the leftovers.

I didn't grow up with a lot if dishes that are American like tuna noodle casserole (feh) but a lot of the dishes our Bubbes And Great Bubbes learned in the US are really delish like meatloaf or REALLY good spaghetti sauce.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 9:09 pm
grew up eating a lot of meatloaf but never liked it much. always found it dry. then I made a recipe I found here, I think it was ra_mom's and it was fantastic. It used bbq sauce, which I don't usually like, but in this case it was delicious.

PAMOM

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 9:20 pm
Oliveoil, can you post it?

rosebunch

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 9:31 pm
I make the meat loaf recipe from the new balabusta's choice cookbook. It's soft, juicy and kids actually love it!

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 9:39 pm
PAMOM wrote:
Oliveoil, can you post it?

I wish I still had it!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 11:02 pm
oliveoil wrote:
grew up eating a lot of meatloaf but never liked it much. always found it dry. then I made a recipe I found here, I think it was ra_mom's and it was fantastic. It used bbq sauce, which I don't usually like, but in this case it was delicious.

I'm like you olive oil. Never liked meatloaf but dh wanted me to make some and this one was the winner even for me.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....art=0

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jul 07 2015, 11:10 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I'm like you olive oil. Never liked meatloaf but dh wanted me to make some and this one was the winner even for me.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....art=0

Totally making it again this week now that I have the recipe again. Thanks!

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 7:52 am
Spice and spirit's meatloaf is awesome. I think it's called dutch meatloaf.

PAMOM

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 7:57 am
Thanks, ra_mom.

runninglate

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 9:16 am
Ra mom, does the meatloaf recipe taste spicy? Is it kid friendly?

SS6099

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 10:13 am
runninglate wrote:
Ra mom, does the meatloaf recipe taste spicy? Is it kid friendly?

This is the best recipe ever! Very kid and dh friendly lol Smile

etky

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 10:47 am
I love meatloaf and would make it more often but I'm pretty much the only one in the family who appreciates it Sad Picky eaters all of them.....
I put finely chopped carrot, onion, garlic, parsley and celery in mine (aside from egg, spices and a bit of ketchup) and I sometimes use quick cooking oats instead of breadcrumbs as a binder. It comes out softer with the oats. If I have a bit of stale bread lying around I'll shred that and use it too instead of the dry breadcrumbs.
I make a topping of ketchup or BBQ sauce, with a drop of brown sugar and some Dijon mustard.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 12:59 pm
I always associate the regular meatloaf (the one baked with tomato or bbq sauce on top) with American food. We tend to be more into meatballs because everyone likes the sauce/gravy.

There is another meatloaf that is traditionally served with couscous. It's seasoned with chopped onion, lots of fresh herbs (parsley, coriander), a pinch of nutmeg, I use fine bulgher and 1 egg as a binder. It's shaped into a loaf smaller than typical American meatloaf, and boiled in the broth (with chicken and vegetable) that would be all served with couscous.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 1:11 pm
Mrs Bissil, does that have a recipe? That sounds so good!

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 2:45 pm
I grew up eating meatloaf -- it was one of my father's favorites. My family never cared for it though so I didn't make it much. My father's absolute favorite was "fried meatloaf". He would slice cold, leftover meatloaf thinly, heat a little shortening in a pan and fry the slices until they were crispy. He would then make a sandwich from it. I must admit, I liked it better that way than fresh.

goodmorning

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 3:40 pm
Is it possible to make ra_mom's meatloaf covered (for those of us with a pareve oven)?

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 3:52 pm
For those with a pareve oven, I once made a meatloaf in a water bath in my crockpot. It came out amazing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics