Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Meat loaf
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 5:21 pm
goodmorning wrote:
Is it possible to make ra_mom's meatloaf covered (for those of us with a pareve oven)?
m
Yes, just increase the cooking time until cooked through. The top of the loaf will be lighter.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 5:23 pm
BTW I make meatloaf over sweet potatoes in the crockpot using ketchup and mustard. No water needed just make sure loaf doesn't touch the pot and rests over the potatoes. But somehow the barbecue sauce version tastes terrible in the crockpot, burned kind of taste.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 5:33 pm
I liked meatloaf until I tried the water bath method now I love it. It gives it a great consistency.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 5:37 pm
I've tried to make it but never really liked it.

When I was a kid the cook in our school made the BEST meatloaf. I can still taste it. Yum. It was a very very smooth texture, with a crusty outside, and there was some delicious spice in it. Really good. I would pay a lot for that recipe!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 6:28 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I liked meatloaf until I tried the water bath method now I love it. It gives it a great consistency.
Sounds great, will try!

goodmorning

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 6:30 pm
Is there an alternative to the loaf pan (for those of us whose loaf pans are pareve ... detecting a theme here?)?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 7:26 pm
goodmorning wrote:
Is there an alternative to the loaf pan (for those of us whose loaf pans are pareve ... detecting a theme here?)?

I never used one for meat loaf. I shaped (as did my mother) an oval loaf and put it in a roaster pan. That way the sides brown better and the fat doesn't cook into the meat as much. I've only seen it once in a loaf pan (MIL did it) and I really didn't care for that.

goodmorning

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 8:42 pm
I was specifically addressing the crockpot water bath method -- it seems to require a pan inside the crockpot.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 8:44 pm
goodmorning wrote:
I was specifically addressing the crockpot water bath method -- it seems to require a pan inside the crockpot.

Sorry, I didn't realize that -- I sometimes make that mistake when someone doesn't quote the post they are referring to.

You can buy disposable foil loaf pans that should work.

goodmorning

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 8:45 pm
Yes, I should have quoted.

Thanks!

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 9:32 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Mrs Bissil, does that have a recipe? That sounds so good!

OK here is the rough recipe.

- 1lb ground meat (I usually use half lamb mince, half turkey mince. You can use mix of lamb/turkey, chicken/turkey, all chicken or all turkey. I tend not to use beef mince for this recipe as it gets cooked in chicken broth and served with chicken.)

- 1 loose cup fresh breadcrumb (when you have end piece of challah or loaf, just whiz till crumb consistency, put in a ziplock bag and keep in the freezer. Or 1/2 cup FINE bulgher--not coarse one you make into pilovv)

- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. cold water
- 2-3 stalks of parsley, just leaves finely chopped
- 5-6 stalks of coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- a pinch of nutmeg or mace, a pinch of ginger
- a dash of salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients by hand till well blended, let chill for 20-30min. Make 2 smallish loaves (more like 'mounds', can be frozen at this point). This is probably optional but wrap loaves in a cooking muslin (gauze material) so they don't fall apart. Alternatively you can make into balls, which cook faster. Either cook in the same bouillon with chicken and vegetable for the couscous, or cook in a pot covered with diluted tomato sauce (2 part tinned tomato sauce, 1part water or wine, chopped olives or capers optional) over a low flame for about 30min or cooked through. Can be served warm with couscous, or room temp on their own.

Variation: you can mix in shelled pistachio nuts (soak in lukewarm water and slip the skin so you get nice green colour) or chopped apricots.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics