Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
City, country or suburbs
1  2  Next

Do you prefer the city, the country or the suburbs as a lifestyle
city  
 28%  [ 21 ]
country  
 13%  [ 10 ]
suburbs  
 52%  [ 38 ]
other-please explain  
 5%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 73

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 12:07 pm
Which do you prefer?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 12:10 pm
Is there a way to edit a poll option? I clicked city by mistake - meant to click suburbs.

I've lived in the suburbs for most of my life, so I'm jaded, obviously. I love living in the suburbs. I like the combination of available stores and amenities, and wide open spaces with plenty of greenery.

Fox

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 12:17 pm
The problem is that "city," "suburbs," and "country" can mean wildly different things.

I selected "city," but I would go nuts living somewhere without plenty of greenery and lots of parks and similar public spaces. I suspect a lot of Imamothers would look at my block and deem it "suburban."

Maya

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 12:56 pm
I prefer the city lifestyle way over anything else, but I live in the suburbs Smile Maybe one day we'll go back.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 1:07 pm
In my win the lottery fantasy I would have a place in each. But bh like Fox my part of the city has a suburban feel so I get a little of each.

I grew up in a much farther suburb from where I live now and I miss it some days. I think it was also the times. Life was less sketchy 30 years ago, who knows if I would like it now?

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 1:09 pm
I love the city. I like living near shops and buses and action. I also like living near parks and green.

I live in a semi suburban area - lots of houses with big gardens and lots of parks, but right next to shops and easy public transport. Technically I am considered to be living in the "inner city", but I am on the border. I can also drive 20 minutes and be in the mountains, or the beach, or the middle of the city.

perquacky

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 1:31 pm
I'm curious. . . .

Do we, as Orthodox Jews, even have the option of living year-round in the country? Where your closest neighbor may be half a mile away and the nearest shul five miles away? And no place to purchase kosher food? And no mikvah?

Are there any Jewish neighborhoods in the country? When I think of the country, I don't think of neighborhoods but of towns with properties spread far apart.

We live in the 'burbs, or what my husband likes to refer to as his "suburban nightmare." He'd love to move somewhere rural. Where he can raise goats. (Don't ask.) Do Jewish communities like this exist? Where are they?

water_bear88

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 1:45 pm
perquacky wrote:
I'm curious. . . .

Do we, as Orthodox Jews, even have the option of living year-round in the country? Where your closest neighbor may be half a mile away and the nearest shul five miles away? And no place to purchase kosher food? And no mikvah?

Are there any Jewish neighborhoods in the country? When I think of the country, I don't think of neighborhoods but of towns with properties spread far apart.

We live in the 'burbs, or what my husband likes to refer to as his "suburban nightmare." He'd love to move somewhere rural. Where he can raise goats. (Don't ask.) Do Jewish communities like this exist? Where are they?

There are definitely some suburban areas where you could have a couple of goats- have you looked into the possibility with your zoning restrictions?

I put "other" because I need somewhere with greenery and trees, but want close-by neighbors. I could live in a 3rd-floor walk-up in a shady Yerushalayim neighborhood quite happily and be just as happy on an agricultural (country?) kibbutz.

Fox

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 2:19 pm
perquacky wrote:
Do we, as Orthodox Jews, even have the option of living year-round in the country?

I know of a number of families in Sullivan County, NY, who live relatively rural lives. I think most are a bit closer to neighbors, shopping, etc., but still in an area where they can have a "farmette," with livestock and have an acre-large garden.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 2:22 pm
perquacky wrote:
I'm curious. . . .

Sure, come live on a moshav or a kibbutz in Israel and your husband can raise his goates Smile

I have lived in suburbia my entire life except one year when we tried out a city here in Israel. Wow, we left very quickly. It was not for us. We picked to live on a yishuv because it is suburban life to the core Smile

imaima

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 2:24 pm
Raisin wrote:
I love the city. I like living near shops and buses and action. I also like living near parks and green.

I live in a semi suburban area - lots of houses with big gardens and lots of parks, but right next to shops and easy public transport. Technically I am considered to be living in the "inner city", but I am on the border. I can also drive 20 minutes and be in the mountains, or the beach, or the middle of the city.

What is this magic place??

shevi82

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 2:24 pm
The city for me is Yerushalaim. There is no where else in the world I would want to live more, it's where I grew up and where I dream to live one day. I live in the suburbs because Yerushaliam is to expensive.But I wouldn't want to live in just any city, like Tel Aviv or New York.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 3:08 pm
imaima wrote:
What is this magic place??

Ha. There are hardly any Jews here and the weather is not great.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 3:25 pm
Fox wrote:
The problem is that "city," "suburbs," and "country" can mean wildly different things.

I selected "city," but I would go nuts living somewhere without plenty of greenery and lots of parks and similar public spaces. I suspect a lot of Imamothers would look at my block and deem it "suburban."

Typically cities have large and expansive infrastructures that provide a variety of services to the residents. In America we consider these urban areas. Cities can contain distinct neighborhoods. Some large cities are also called metroplexes. Housing in cities is denser than that of suburbs. Cities typically have a much larger daytime population when compared to resident population. The daytime population of a city can include residents, commuters who travel to jobs or visitors who come for shopping and other attractions.

Suburbs are less densely populated areas outside of urban areas but still may have complex infrastructures.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 3:30 pm
perquacky wrote:
I'm curious. . . .

I lived 40 miles from my shul, I was originally over 100 miles from the nearest mikvah. I lived 6 miles from a town of 2k and 8 miles from a town of 20k (at the time). I could see neighbors from my kitchen window. They were about 3/4 a mile from my house down my 'driveway'. I'm not the only frum Jew who has lived beyond the pale in my state, there are quite a few. Perhaps creeping up to 1000 now. And yes, I raised goats Very Happy

etky

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 3:36 pm
I'm a city girl at heart (grew up in NYC and Jerusalem) though I live in the Israeli equivalent of suburbia.
I love my yishuv and it's the best place for us now but I sometimes miss my city days.
I love the energy of big, cosmopolitan cities like New York, London and Paris. I find them exhilarating.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 5:59 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Typically cities have large and expansive infrastructures that provide a variety of services to the residents. In America we consider these urban areas. Cities can contain distinct neighborhoods. Some large cities are also called metroplexes. Housing in cities is denser than that of suburbs. Cities typically have a much larger daytime population when compared to resident population. The daytime population of a city can include residents, commuters who travel to jobs or visitors who come for shopping and other attractions.

Suburbs are less densely populated areas outside of urban areas but still may have complex infrastructures.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't consider Brooklyn a city type. That's where I lived for many years. I never did think of it that way, but especially not now because where I live now is a lot more city type than there. I do like a more suburban area, but I like Brooklyn, especially compared to here, so I would never say I like to live in a city, but I like it there.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 7:27 pm
its hard to say, because "city" can mean so many things- I grew up on the Upper West Side right next to riverside park- we had two big parks walking distance from us- plenty of greenery. I've been to Williamsburg for a wedding and I couldn't believe how "concrete" it was for lack of a better word, there didn't seem to be any greenery anywhere!

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 7:45 pm
I grew up in a major city and moved to the suburbs. I cannot express in words the depth of my loathing for the suburban life. Unfortunately, dh and the kids love it here, so I'm stuck in misery until the kids grow up.

Sake

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 8:27 pm
I'm a country bumpkin. I grew up farming in Portugal and now after many cities and many burbs in many lands, I find myself living of the land again. I can't tell you how much I appreciate having no neighbors Smile. (we are 45mins drive to 3 marjor cities in different directions)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics