Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
City, country or suburbs
Previous  1  2

Do you prefer the city, the country or the suburbs as a lifestyle
city  
 28%  [ 21 ]
country  
 13%  [ 10 ]
suburbs  
 52%  [ 38 ]
other-please explain  
 5%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 73

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 8:07 am
I love suburbia, but wish my area could stretch each plot of land a bit bigger.

I work in the city so I get the worst of it - the commute, the noise, the pollution, with no time to enjoy the amenities.

I would love to live on a farm for a while. I love the rural life. I don't think I can make it work long term though.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 4:56 pm
I answered Other because the ideal dream situation for me and DH would be to spend Sunday to Wednesday in a large farmhouse or a villa in the country, but spend Thursday-Shabbat in a smaller but neat apartment in the city. The only thing is we aren't financially able to afford two places, both DH and my work are in the city, and I'll need to learn how to drive.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 8:25 am
City with some breathing space, or city-like suburb. But I could go for very suburban, houses etc, too if there was the appropriate schooling. I'm actually not difficult to please and put chinuch first (and am very picky on that one thing).

There's a lot to be said for a garden, so you're not cooped up on shabbes. But again, shabbes is one day/week LOL

I guess every setting has advantages. I don't really enjoy the countryside where everything needs a car though as we could never afford two cars/oil/insurance in Europe even if I got a license. Another thing I guess I'm particular about is that I don't want my kids to travel a lot to school, some do one hour and half each way or even more...

WriterMom

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 8:35 am
I would dearly love to live in the country, but DH hates the thought, and the "Jewish" part is really problematic. (We also could not afford to live one place and have a shabbat apartment near a shul.)

We're in a suburban area right now. In some ways it's the worst of both worlds - long commute, none of the perks of being in a rural area - but we have a bigger house, and a yard, which we couldn't in the city, and we want those things for the kids. Maybe when the kids are grown we'll live in a proper city, which I would like; maybe when the kids are grown we can live in the country and have a tiny city bolthole, and that would be great too. Suburbs are kind of a compromise by definition.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 8:45 am
DH and I would love the country. By that I mean a house that's sitting on at least an acre of land, that's the minimum. But while I like the idea in theory, I love wide open spaces - they are so calming - I think practically I enjoy the city more. (I'm counting Brooklyn as a city here.)

I like having so many options. So many schools, shuls, restaurants, places to go, things to do. Grocery stores that deliver, takeout places that deliver. A library 1 block away. A park 1 block away. Plenty of old houses have gated grassy yards in the back.

I like being able to visit family on Shabbos, I like that my kids have a close relationship with their grandparents instead of a 5 minute phone call once a week relationship. I think I am too spoiled by the conveniences of the city to get used to living in the country.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 9:29 am
I grew up living in a large city with ad 1/4 acre yard. I couldn't imagine taking care of anything larger without a riding lawnmower. My next. Door neighbor had a half acre and let us run around there. We had a vegetable garden and fruit trees. As well as being two blocks from shul within the eiruv.
I love a small community where everyone knows everyone, but large enough that you don't have to be friends with everyone.
I like a social outlet that's easy to be part of, n'shei, local park, shul, community programs, and so on.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 4:46 pm
amother wrote:
I answered Other because the ideal dream situation for me and DH would be to spend Sunday to Wednesday in a large farmhouse or a villa in the country, but spend Thursday-Shabbat in a smaller but neat apartment in the city. The only thing is we aren't financially able to afford two places, both DH and my work are in the city, and I'll need to learn how to drive.

I would want it the other way around, but Sunday in the country.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics