Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Seminary shopping
1  2  Next

shortcake

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 2:35 pm
Busy shopping with dd for her year in sem in Israel. Curious what others have budgeted for clothing, toiletries etc.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 2:38 pm
I don't remember budgets. but just a word for toiletries, don't go crazy buying stuff for the whole year, especially not shampoos etc, bc the water is different in america than in israel, and she's better off buying israeli products made for the water there

trixx

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 3:43 pm
On the other hand, things like name brand toothpaste floss deodorant and especially makeup is a fortune in Israel so buy it with coupons or on sale at drugstore in USA.

momesq

Post Sat, Jul 18 2015, 9:17 pm
What about luggage? What kind of suitcase is acceptable on el al. Is it just the weight or there's a size requirement too. Cause I thought a soft duffle or soft trunk would be good cause it weighs nothing do I can use all 50 lbs wisely but those bags might be too big.

Iymnok

Post Sat, Jul 18 2015, 11:23 pm
For sure a duffel bag. Use your scale and measure it as well as the carry on.
Have her buy toiletries in Israel even if they cost a little more. That way she could bring more things that she can't get here.
The toiletries that I'd recommend she bring are:
Dental floss- I'm having trouble finding regular floss, just the plastic flossers.
Gold Bond anti-itch cream- relief from mosquito bites.
Basic first aid
Face wash
Tweezers, nail clippers etc.
If she has a specific mousse and difficult hair,that may be worth it.

sped

Post Sat, Jul 18 2015, 11:46 pm
Definitely buy deodorant and makeup in the US and also band-aids. Also sunscreen and face moisturizer. I can't think of much else, though prices here are somewhat higher.

Liebs

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 4:49 am
Head and shoulders shampoo and dove soap can find there, and sometimes pantene. Otherwise most stuff Israel. They have colgate toothpaste and Listerine. (All sold in Osher Ad supermarket).
It's better if you tell her you will pay for her first shopping in Israel to buy toiletries. A lot of girls bring it because otherwise they have to pay out fo their spending money for it and in the beginning there are tons of expenses between seforim, supplies, phone sign up...

5mom

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 4:58 am
Bring over the counter medications and sunscreen, but soap and shampoo are heavy and they can leak, so best not to pack those. Contact lens solution is also heavy and can leak, but it is much more expensive here.

Some girls like individual oatmeal or hot cocoa packets. Those are small and light and make for a nice treat.

animeme

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 5:07 am
For the luggage, check with your airline reading what constitutes oversized. There are different lengths of duffel bags; I can't remember the number right now, but the longest is an issue. You can still bring it, but you have to pay.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 6:19 am
I really like the careline shampoo and conditioner that's sold here. Maybe it works better with the air and water?
I use Creama body wash.
I buy most of my toiletries at Shaul Tamrukim, they are always well supplied.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 8:35 am
Oh yes school supplies - she can bring her own fave pens and sticky tabs, etc if picky but buy notebooks paper and binders here! Paper size is different and holes are on the wrong side lol

These are notes written up in my sem that got passed around. Anon not to out my sn

TOILETRIES
Buy as much as you can in America - things are very expensive here. At the end of the day, they do have everything here, but if taste/quality/brand is important to you and you need normal cosmetics to feel good, bring them.

Shampoo, conditioner, body wash - cost like $3 each here. DO NOT BRING (unless you have crazy curly hair or use a specific product). Honestly not worth the weight. You can buy Pantene here for double the price if you really care. Otherwise, buy Israeli drugstore brand, we all survived.

Mousse is not available here, if you need, bring from home.

Typical numbers that should last you through the year:
3 toothpaste (you could buy here for about the same price)
4 toothbrushes (because I keep replacing them/might get lost. they don’t really sell good ones here)
5-6 deodorants
2 sets of travel-sized shampoo and conditioner (or empty containers). You will inevitably leave one behind somewhere and you can’t buy them here.
Brush/comb/if you use
4 floss - they really don’t have good ones here/they’re a fortune
Tweezers, extra pair is a good idea
Vaseline or 2-3 chapstick/lip balms
1 face moisturizer
face wash - if you use it already, if you don’t, no need to start now
1 hand cream, super important in winter if your hands get dry
razor with extra blades (remember that you’re not shaving in the winter)
contact lenses + solution (amount depends how often you wear them)
mouthwash - no good flavors sold here. something like 12 oz (or four 3-oz travel sized ones) should be enough for the year
At least 1 (so you can refill) travel sized mouthwash for shabbos off.
Q-tips - if you also use it to clean off makeup, a full thing (Costco size 500)
makeup remover, enough for the year... depends on you
pads - BRING ENOUGH. it’s a fortune here and pads don’t weigh anything anyways. calculate it and bring more. even if you think you won’t, you will definitely finish a 72 pack, and if you don’t, half the sem will be more than happy to take it from you
same for tampons/liners
sunscreen - super important for the hot months, the sun here is really not healthy. try to also get little trial size/traveling ones that you can stick into your bag and carry around with you
Bobby pins/pony tails/clips
nail clipper
don’t bother with nail polish, you can only wear light colors and doing your own pedicures means you also have to bring along remover... it’s nice to have but you can do without it
lice comb and shampoo - if you have, bring, if not don’t have to buy (but girls did get lice, and don’t worry about it, everything is fine in the end)
hand sanitizers, if you want and use, get 2-3 and stick one in each bag
medicine/Tylenol/anything you usually need and use during an average year
bandaids... for shaving cuts and other emergencies

I had a cosmetic case with doubles of anything I needed for Shabbos, which made packing an absolute breeze. So little size bottle contact solution, floss, toothbrush, little toothpaste, little mouthwash, deodorant, extra pair of tweezers, little mirror etc and that just stayed in my traveling suitcase.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 8:42 am
Hand cream in the land of the Dead Sea?
Good toothbrushes are perfectly accessible.
I like Leibs suggestion, the difference in paying for her initial stock of toiletries to be purchased in Israel I'm sure is less than paying overweight.

LittleDucky

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:05 am
It isn't like the "good ole days" when you had to bring toilet paper with you. It is civilization Wink .
You can find almost anything there unless you are sensitive or allergic.

Bring pads- many girls' cycles are way off and may skip a few. Tell your daughter it's normal... But yeah she will still need.
Don't bring shampoo.
Makeup- yes.
Contact lens solution- it is super expensive so bring. Plus backup glasses for emergencies.
Deodorant- YES! Stuff there is so different!
Don't bother with school supplies.
Dont bother buying super nice clothes... The water ruins them all so you won't have it for the future. (Some bought thinking it would be good post sem clothes but especially light colors are ruined).

fluffernutter

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:10 am
I found that is was best to bring:

Deodorant - the stuff there really hurt when I put it on.
Sunscreen
Shavers
Extra pair of glasses if she wears - I thought I'd never need it, til a huge gust of wind came and tore them off my face!
Pads - you'd rather have than not have!!
Enough shampoo for the very beginning so she can take a shower that first week until she gets to a store to find stuff. (and its good to have the little containers for tiyulim)
Same for toothepasts.
Most school supplies get in E"Y - but I liked the pens and pencils in the US so I brought some - plus they are like 5 shekel a pen/pencil .
Makeup - bring.
Its good to have first aid stuff - bandaids, painkillers, antibacterial ointment. The seminary has but not always accecible when you need it.

Clothing wise - have enough for 2 weeks. Otherwise, she'll always be doing laundry and its such a pain!!! I was told 10 shirts is enough, but really, its best to have 12-14. Much more comfortable.

Make sure to bring clothing to wear on tiyulim - I missed the memo somehow Wink

alittlebirdie

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:16 am
Israel is not a third world country. We get everything here. Don't spend the extra 100 dollars on an extra Suitcase. Bring only what's most important. Whatever she needs after she can buy in israel.

luppamom

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:42 am
alittlebirdie wrote:
Israel is not a third world country. We get everything here. Don't spend the extra 100 dollars on an extra Suitcase. Bring only what's most important. Whatever she needs after she can buy in israel.

That's true. But some things really are a lot more pricey here or are hard to find. Also, depending on how much HW and tests the seminary gives, girls may not have time to search around until they find everything they need for a good price.

When my sister came, we made a deal. I gave her linen and some toilettries to use. In exchange, she brought me stuff from home that I hadn't managed to take with me like clothes and wedding presents. (She came to seminary when I was in Shana Rishona.)

The light stuff, no biggie. Why not buy them in America? Pens and markers are much cheaper in the US. Don't waste with binders and paper b/c it's a different size. I stock up on deodorant in the US. I also stock up on makeup.

Shampoo and soap, we have plenty. Even brands she will recognize like Dove, Pantene and Head and Shoulders. Razors, I have found. Pads, they sell Always.

But, no, I think 2 suitcases should be sufficient. You can order blankets/linen through a company like Blankets Express and then it won't take up luggage space.

kerida

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:59 am
Pack what you need cosmetic/toiletries for short term, after a while, shopping with friends is actually fun!

Nothing worse than a leaking shampoo or hair gel in your luggage. Israel has lovely range of cosmetics and haircare.

trixx

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 1:59 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Hand cream in the land of the Dead Sea?
Good toothbrushes are perfectly accessible.
I like Leibs suggestion, the difference in paying for her initial stock of toiletries to be purchased in Israel I'm sure is less than paying overweight.

Not all skincare works for everyone. I know for myself that only one brand moisturizer does anything for my skin.
Yes Israel is not a 3rd world country but if you use specific products or are particular about them then I strongly advise to bring from USA. Name brands are triple the price in Israel. And whoever said it's fun to shop together... This is not Sephora. I saw 6 dollar covergirl mascara sells for 30 dollars. Not fun when you are in sem and budgeting.
Remember it will take her a few days just to get out and change money! Make sure to start off with what you need.

luppamom

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 2:22 pm
trixx wrote:
Not all skincare works for everyone. I know for myself that only one brand moisturizer does anything for my skin.
Yes Israel is not a 3rd world country but if you use specific products or are particular about them then I strongly advise to bring from USA. Name brands are triple the price in Israel. And whoever said it's fun to shop together... This is not Sephora. I saw 6 dollar covergirl mascara sells for 30 dollars. Not fun when you are in sem and budgeting.
Remember it will take her a few days just to get out and change money! Make sure to start off with what you need.

I agree with you. I would send little samples of shampoo, soap, toothpaste etc. to give the girl a day or two to change money. Shampoo, body soap and toothpaste are very easy to find. Also, another pointer, tell her to minimize changing in the airport and only change what she needs to get into the city. Airports have terrible rates.

But, trixx FTR, there are places that sell Covergirl mascara MUCH cheaper. Not as cheap as in the US, but not $30.00. You have to know where to shop. (Something a seminary girl will not naturally know.)

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 2:23 am
luppamom wrote:

But, trixx FTR, there are places that sell Covergirl mascara MUCH cheaper. Not as cheap as in the US, but not $30.00. You have to know where to shop. (Something a seminary girl will not naturally know.)

So where do you shop?
The mothers of sem girls need to have some info to give them.
(I'd like it too!)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics