Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Help Plan Fox's Trip to Israel
1  2  3  4  Next

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 4:16 am
Okay, Israeli Imamothers (or anyone else)! Time to help me plan a trip to Israel in late November.

Yup! I'm making my first trip to Israel since 1987. Just me and DH -- no kids!

I'm looking for suggstions of places to visit or things to do that *you* think are fun, worthwhile, inspirational, etc. -- but might not be on the radar of frum American visitors.

DH goes almost every year, so he's not entirely clueless. My older kids generally find a way to go approximately every other year. However, aside from the Kotel, etc., they like to go hiking, ziplining, or horseback riding. As far as I'm concerned, Israel involves enough walking already; the only additional hike I plan to take is to the breakfast buffet.

We'll be primarily in Jerusalem, though we might take side trips to Tzfat and/or Teveriya. DH usually stays at the Jerusalem Gate, largely because it's inexpensive and close to the bus terminal.

I have a bar mitzvah to attend, but outside of one evening and a handful of visits to various friends, I have no obligations. So suggestions for any and all aspects of the trip are welcome!

chaiz

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 5:07 am
Fox wrote:
Okay, Israeli Imamothers (or anyone else)! Time to help me plan a trip to Israel in late November.

Yup! I'm making my first trip to Israel since 1987. Just me and DH -- no kids!

I'm looking for suggstions of places to visit or things to do that *you* think are fun, worthwhile, inspirational, etc. -- but might not be on the radar of frum American visitors.

DH goes almost every year, so he's not entirely clueless. My older kids generally find a way to go approximately every other year. However, aside from the Kotel, etc., they like to go hiking, ziplining, or horseback riding. As far as I'm concerned, Israel involves enough walking already; the only additional hike I plan to take is to the breakfast buffet.

We'll be primarily in Jerusalem, though we might take side trips to Tzfat and/or Teveriya. DH usually stays at the Jerusalem Gate, largely because it's inexpensive and close to the bus terminal.

I have a bar mitzvah to attend, but outside of one evening and a handful of visits to various friends, I have no obligations. So suggestions for any and all aspects of the trip are welcome!

Firstly, I would love to meet you in person!

Some suggestions that I think are really worth it even though they may be typical:
Masada/Ein Gedi/Yam Hamalach. Can be done in one day but can be spread out to more than one day.

Ir David, there is so much amazing history and proof of Judaism in the Holy Land for millenia http://www.cityofdavid.org.il/en

Neot Kedumim I have not gone there personally as no car, but would love to go there. Family members went multiple times and it is supposed to be really great.
http://www.neot-kedumim.org.il/#_=_

Katsrin, I also have not gone but really want to. Also a really great historical attraction. http://www.goisrael.com/Touris......aspx

Migdal David, a museum right within the Old City walls. It is about the history of Yerushalayim throughout the years. http://www.tod.org.il/en/

The biblical zoo, I like the perspective from Tanach, but it is not that much different than a regular zoo.
http://www.jerusalemzoo.org.il/len/

Ammunition Hill. We went as a family on Chol Hamoed which was a mistake as it is not the happiest attraction. But it is inspiring and humbling to understand what we went through and what we have.
http://www.g-h.org.il/en/#_=_

Israel Museum. Went there a long time ago with my family, but really enjoyed it.

I am not sure if these ideas are your personality. I am totally the type who can enjoy walking around the old city of Yerushalayim and looking into the various museums, hooks and crannies and just living up the history and strength of the Jewish People and the Land.

Tripadvisor has reviews on a lot of these attractions that may be helpful for you.

Hope this was helpful. Smile

sped

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 5:16 am
The Old Yishuv Court museum is fascinating, if you enjoy recent Jewish history. Of course, the Kosel tunnels are really great. It may be worthwhile taking your own guide there. I got stuck last time with a good guide, but a group that knew nothing, so the tour was really basic; my niece just landed up with a British Christian group.

I also loved the Diaspora Museum (Beit Hatefutzot),. but I think I was there last about 20 years ago.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 5:22 am
Next kedumim is only worth it at popular times or with a tour. There is so much there that it's better explained.

The fruit orchards will be kedushas shvi'is. It may be interesting to go.

chaiz

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 5:24 am
Iymnok wrote:
Next kedumim is only worth it at popular times or with a tour. There is so much there that it's better explained.

The fruit orchards will be kedushas shvi'is. It may be interesting to go.

Are you saying that next year it will be kedushas sheviis?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 5:28 am
chaiz wrote:

Fruit. It grew during shmitta, but ripens after. That includes apples, rimonom and citrus fruit, probably others. Veggies will not be shvi'is anymore. Shmitta wine may start coming out, grape harvest is now.

pumpkinpie

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 5:34 am
chaiz wrote:

Yes she is. The vegetables kedusha go from when they are harvested so their kedusha is only this year. The fruits kedusha go from when they blossom so their kedusha is until all the fruits that blossomed this season are harvested. (There are charts available of when the kedusha of different fruits and vegetables start and end). Hope I was clear.

chaiz

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 5:39 am
pumpkinpie wrote:
Yes she is. The vegetables kedusha go from when they are harvested so their kedusha is only this year. The fruits kedusha go from when they blossom so their kedusha is until all the fruits that blossomed this season are harvested. (There are charts available of when the kedusha of different fruits and vegetables start and end). Hope I was clear.

Yup, you were clear. Thanks for explaining. Smile

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 5:46 am
Thanks, ladies! These are great suggestions and exactly what I was hoping for!

Katsrin sounds fascinating, and DH would love it. My son went to the Zoo and talks about it several years later, although he came home wanting to raise goats. Everybody in the family recommends the Tunnel tours, so I'll definitely do that.

I'd never heard of the Old Yishuv Court museum, so I'll check that out, and I love the idea of the fruit orchards.

Keep the ideas coming!

chaiz

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 5:50 am
Do you like history? Because there is the Burnt House Museum in the Old City of Yerushalayim that is interesting. It is not a whole day, more like a few hours.
There are other historical things that are fascinating. But only if you like that.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 5:52 am
Fox wrote:
Everybody in the family recommends the Tunnel tours, so I'll definitely do that.

Don't miss the southern excavations as well. You will ascend the steps to the Beis Hamikdash and you will never be the same.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 5:56 am
If you're going to be in Tzfat, it's only a short bus ride to Nahariya. November may be a bit chilly for walks on the beach, but it's really beautiful there - and I'd love to see you!

alittlebirdie

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 6:02 am
Blind and deaf museum. Chocolate, bamba, wine factory. Monkey park. Biblical zoo. Kineret awiming and boating, chesed- packing for yad eliezer. 39 meachot at beit meir. Ein Yael. Ohel avraham. Moshav beit chilkiyya. Kivrei tzadikim. Dear park. Chafetz chayim kibbutz. More? I have tons of ideas

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 6:03 am
Lol! My DDs warned DH not to plan too many togetherness-oriented outings. "Give Mom some shekls and a bus schedule app, and she'll be gone visiting Imamothers all over the country."

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 6:10 am
Fox wrote:
Lol! My DDs warned DH not to plan too many togetherness-oriented outings. "Give Mom some shekls and a bus schedule app, and she'll be gone visiting Imamothers all over the country."

We have a spare bedroom, and we're two blocks from the beach. Sunny

hila

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 6:11 am
Tell us nearer the time and we can plan a meetup.

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 6:11 am
Factory tours are a great idea! I love seeing how things are made and how people live and work.

I remember loving Kineret boating in 1987, but we're probably on a do-not-rent list: DH, DDs, and youngest DS rented a boat last year and couldn't find the right dock when it was time to return the boat. It took a while and a great deal of yelling in Hebrew on the part of the boat owner, but they eventually found it.

In fact, it's a wonder we're allowed in the country at all. A few years ago, DH broke his leg on the plane on the way to Israel. There was a ton of drama, of course, along with an ambulance ride to the hospital near Ben Gurion with an EMT from the same Russian city DH's great-great-grandparents came from (landsmen!). Since no wheelchairs were available until Yad Sarah opened the next day, my son borrowed a baggage cart and pushed him around.

And then there's Yusef, the front desk clerk at the Jerusalem Gate, who gives me highly detailed reports about everything DH and kids have done if I call the hotel and they're not around. "Oh, Mrs. Fox. Yes, they are at dinner. I hear the girls say they want milchig, but your husband wants fleishig, so it looks like they go to XXX because your husband likes fries there. They went to Old City today, I think, and Geula. The girls have lots of bags from stores." Seriously, if I ever suspect my DH of anything nefarious, I'm hiring Yusef.

Last edited by Fox on Thu, Jul 09 2015, 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 6:20 am
Many of us living here in israel are far away from our families so we get excited when we hear about pple coming.

alittlebirdie

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 6:22 am
Bamba,wine, factories are free. Need to reerve in advance

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 6:32 am
I recomend. The blind and deaf museum. Something special
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics