Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Help Plan Fox's Trip to Israel
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

luppamom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 6:43 am
I would even reserve now b/c I've heard they get booked up. You can also do a winery tour if you go up North. I've never done one (want to but DH isn't interested), but they sound like a lot of fun.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 7:04 am
Ooh--Machon Tzomet

http://www.zomet.org.il/eng/

chani8

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 8:16 am
No one mentions the South?!

Dear Fox, you must see the South. Start with the Dead Sea and then up the hill to Arad, and down to Yeruham, and down to Mizpe Ramon. So much to see!

luppamom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 8:17 am
chani8 wrote:
No one mentions the South?!

Dear Fox, you must see the South. Start with the Dead Sea and then up the hill to Arad, and down to Yeruham, and down to Mizpe Ramon. So much to see!

Oooo, the South is beautiful. I haven't been in so long. November is a perfect time to go.

alittlebirdie

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 8:22 am
What about Eilat? I heard it's when all the religious pple go. Nice and relaxing. Iif u want fun they have snorkling and beautiful underwater museum.

Tehila1

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 8:49 am
Blind museum is fabulous.

L25

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 9:06 am
no suggestions but just wanted to wish you a great trip- that's sooo exciting!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 12:04 pm
I second or third the Blind Museum
Yad Vashem
tunnel tours
Ir David
Golan, Haifa, Akko
Masada, Ein Gedi, Yam Hamelach (we did in 1 day)
Meron, Tzfas, Tiveria we stayed overnight
Kineret
Kever Rachel, Maarat Hamachpelah
the list goes on
it brings back memories of my trip last summer
I wish I can go back
enjoy every minute

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 1:25 pm
Great ideas, everyone -- too bad I can only stay 10 days!

Is the blind/deaf museum the program offered at the Israel Children's Museum in Holon?

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 2:06 pm
chaiz wrote:

Some suggestions that I think are really worth it even though they may be typical:
Masada/Ein Gedi/Yam Hamalach. Can be done in one day but can be spread out to more than one day.

We did this a couple years ago (not for the first time), but I found that this point in my life, Ein Gedi was very difficult for me (I know you're younger, but you should be aware). Besides the hike it is a lot of uphill/downhill and steps all without railings. I am not very comfortable with this and wound up holding on to DD's shoulder much of the time. Make sure you're okay with this before you try Ein Gedi. Masada is no problem.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 2:07 pm
sped wrote:
The Old Yishuv Court museum is fascinating, if you enjoy recent Jewish history. Of course, the Kosel tunnels are really great. It may be worthwhile taking your own guide there. I got stuck last time with a good guide, but a group that knew nothing, so the tour was really basic; my niece just landed up with a British Christian group.

I also loved the Diaspora Museum (Beit Hatefutzot),. but I think I was there last about 20 years ago.

I will second the Kosel Tunnels. We've done them a few times and always find it amazing. Make sure to get a good guide though if you do, because they will add so much that you wouldn't get otherwise.

Karnash

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 4:44 pm
There are great tours of shuk machane yehuda. Why a tour? because you'll get to see interesting spots you would miss on your own.
http://www.machne.co.il/en/

singleagain

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 4:52 pm
Fox wrote:
Great ideas, everyone -- too bad I can only stay 10 days!

Is the blind/deaf museum the program offered at the Israel Children's Museum in Holon?

yes. it is, you have to make an appt to take a guided tour, in english or hebrew (I went with my mom to blind museum, on a hebrew tour, and my mom said she would translate for me, since I don't understand very well. but the tour guide also kept finding me [which was not easy] to make sure I understood.... also we were a tour group of about 5 ppl total and the guides area all legally blind.

we didn't do the dead museum, bc for one, it's a second ticket, and we decided it would be much harder to simulate deafness than blindness... the room was so pitch black, that my mom's watch glowed, we didn't know it would glow in the dark, bc it never had before [they make you lock up anything that lights up phones/camera's etc, or anything you might drop, glasses etc. in a locker...

oh and at the end there's "questions in the dark" where you can get soda at the end and ask your guide questions. so make sure you have a pocket for money...

PAMOM

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 7:58 pm
Fox, if you want a good and inexpensive tour of the recent (since you were last there) excavations in Jerusalem (Burnt House, City of David, tunnel, etc), check the Haganat Ha-Teva(Society for the Preservation of Nature) website. Our tour included lunch so check the hechsher (don't know where they eat now),

Tehila1

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 4:25 am
Fox wrote:

definitely in Holon, not sure about rest

grace413

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 5:01 am
hila wrote:
Tell us nearer the time and we can plan a meetup.

Just wanted second Hila's idea of an Imamother meet with you.

alittlebirdie

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 6:54 am
About the meet up idea - you won't be anonymous anymore! But in any case I'm all for it. I love meeting new pple

grace413

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 7:00 am
alittlebirdie wrote:
About the meet up idea - you won't be anonymous anymore! But in any case I'm all for it. I love meeting new pple

Actually we've had one or 2 people come to meets and only use their screen name, not their real name.

sky

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 9:40 am
When I was there years ago we went on a tour of an old bucharian area in yerushaleum. We toured old shuls and orphanages and heard the history of their journey. We also visited the shuk there were the laffas\flat breads were still baked on the walls of a stone oven right off the street. It was fascinating.

If you are interested in such a thing maybe other imamothers can provide additional information.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 5:10 am
I have no recommendations but I second Hila's idea of a meet. I almost never make it to meets. But for you I may just make an exception!
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics