Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Did anyone make a yard sale?

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 5:02 pm
I am strongly considering having a yard sale in the near future. As I am packing to move, I am coming across many items that have not been used in a while but are too valuable to dump, and may be useful to others. I may as well earn some money at the same time. However, it doesn't seem very accepted in my Brooklyn neighborhood to have yard sales. Thoughts?

Also, can anyone share some tips?

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 5:50 pm
I do yard giveaways all the time in Brooklyn. Here's how it works. I take something that we are not using anymore that I feel could be useful to someone instead of cluttering a landfill, like a riding toy or outgrown shoes. I place it on my front yard, sometimes with a note that says "take me."

The stuff disappears, usually within a few hours, sometimes it takes a full 24 hours.

Selling it is not worth the hassle for me.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 6:11 am
Riding toys sound great! If you ever have another one to give away, please pm me.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 6:44 am
A friend of mine got a full dining room set for free like that.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 9:43 am
Not sure what Brooklyn neighborhood you are in. Holding a good yard sale is a bit of work. My parents had a massive yard/garage sale when they moved out of their house in Midwood. However, they had front yard, driveway PLUS a basement for stuff. If you have limited area, it becomes difficult although I have read that there are successful "stoop sales" in Park Slope/Cobble Hill area. I think my parents made several thousand dollars from their yard sale - they weren't greedy because they just wanted to get rid of stuff since they were moving so it was a win/win for everyone.

They key is whether you actually have items that are worth the hassle - items that typically do well are boxed stuff which can be re-gifted; CLEAN children's clothing; toys in good condition. If you have good wood furniture, that can be sold.

There are specific tips for running a successful yard sale but not sure whether you actually want to go through with it. You should inventory what you actually have that would be worth selling first.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 2:42 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Riding toys sound great! If you ever have another one to give away, please pm me.

Riding toys don't happen that often though. Usually it's more random stuff. Like an extra umbrella stand or old books or something. Sometimes bags of clothing.

Arranging pickup is exactly the kind of hassle I want to avoid. Sorry. Smile

trixx

Post Sat, Jul 11 2015, 11:50 am
Donate what you can to gemach - they will come pick up clothing and other items 347 837 8256
Try Craigslist or fb to sellsell other things
There is also chessed org on fb that will advertise for you if you're giving away for free, can give you name if you want

amother
Navy

Post Sat, Jul 11 2015, 7:41 pm
I'd rather get money for them, but some of the items are too small to advertise. Is it that bad of an idea to make a yard sale in Brooklyn?

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 1:02 pm
I'm not sure why it's a bad idea to have a yard sale - It depends on whether you have the room for the yard sale and whether you have enough items that would warrant the investment of time. A well run yard sale requires some effort before the sale and it can be pretty exhausting during the sale. It can get quite hectic at times.

Do you live in a private house now and so you have room to spread out the stuff or are you going to have to have items on the sidewalk in a fairly small area? Is there a lot of foot traffic or do you need to advertise?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics