Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What to feed kids on friday?

alittlebirdie

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 7:10 am
I don't have time to cook lunch on friday. They need to eat especially on the long Fridays when shabbos starts late. It gets hectic also when they want to come into the kitchen to make ttheir own food while I cook for shabbos. Any ideas of what my kids can eat? What do you do on a busy friday/erev yomtov?

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 7:17 am
I often put a pan of chicken wings into the oven. A pack of like 10-12 wings costs about $3 here and the kids love them. There isn't much prep involved, I just toss them in a pan, add spices, cover, bake at 375 for an hour if they're fresh or defrosted and an hour and forty minutes if they're frozen or something else is in the pan too. (Often I make the meat for shabbos in the same pan, this gives both a delicious flavor and cuts the prep time even more because I'm cooking two different dishes at once.)

Sometimes we have the mealmart ready made chicken nuggets in the fun shapes. My kids love those too and the prep time is faster but they're processed and not as cheap.

ahuva06

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 7:18 am
I usually make a potato kugel for friday afternoon.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 7:19 am
I generally serve (frozen) pizza when they come home.

My mom always served tuna sandwiches with vegetable slices.

imaima

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 7:58 am
Make more of shabbes food and serve it friday afternoon.

sky

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 8:42 am
Friday lunch is always macarroni and cheese.
I make a pot of noodles and they add their own cheese and sauce.

Before shabbos I feed potato kugel, soup and chicken.

sneakermom

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 8:48 am
I put up my cholent Friday morning so whoever is in the mood of a heartier lunch can have.

Or it's frozen pizza.

Laiya

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 10:11 am
Grilled cheese sandwiches on challah rolls. (Also, the younger ones have chicken soup and whatever other Shabbos food they want at their normal supper time)

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 10:38 am
I often will make a Thursday supper with planned leftover for Fri. lunch, e.g. lasagna, noodles and cheese, etc. If I haven't done that I have to accept that they will be making their own food. (It sounds like yours are older too.) But easy stuff, like nuked rice cakes and cheese, potatoes with cheese, nachos, etc. For the lactose intolerant, you can try soup cups, ramen soup and some protein.

Then, sometime after 2:00 I'll have a kugel.
There's also cake, fruits and veg they can take. I used to have hard boiled eggs for the long erev Shabbosos, like at about 5:00, no longer necessary or healthy since some of them have eggs for breakfast.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 10:46 am
sky wrote:
Friday lunch is always macarroni and cheese.
I make a pot of noodles and they add their own cheese and sauce.

Before shabbos I feed potato kugel, soup and chicken.

So is mine. I boil ziti noodles, add half a jar of marinara sauce, and mozzarella, and stir until it's melted. So easy, and my kids love it.

little_mage

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 2:15 pm
My kids tend to eat lots of bread with peanut butter. That's pretty much our default food at any and all times, though.

sky

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 2:24 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
So is mine. I boil ziti noodles, add half a jar of marinara sauce, and mozzarella, and stir until it's melted. So easy, and my kids love it.

this way everyone is happy, wether they want cheese or sauce or they don't.
I used to make the oven baked maccarroni and cheese recipe from here because there was no pot to make dirty. But because of all the preferences I had to stop. that was the easiest. I just threw out the 9x13 when they were done and it took 2 minutes to put together.

Vanilla

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 3:02 pm
Sky, can you give me that recipe for the ovenbaked mac and cheese?

Miri7

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 3:05 pm
Yes we often do sandwiches which I can make fast (or older kids make for all). Or I make Mac and cheese and put it in a dish so I can heat it up. My kids also like burritos, either news and rice and cheese or breakfast burritos with eggs and cheese. I will make some and wrap in tin foil so they are super easy to heat up. I usually make this with leftovers from Thursday or Friday breakfast.

I keep a lot of fruit available for snacking.

sky

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 3:10 pm
in a 9x13 pan:
1 box macaroni noodles
1 jar marinara sauce
Fill empty jar - 1/2 water and 1/2 milk so it is completely full and add to pan.
Add cheese to taste.
Cover tightly.
Bake at 350 - I think 1 - 1/12 hour.

Here is the original to give credit:
www.imamother.com/forum/viewto.....17469

here is another version that is good.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....heese

shevi82

Post Sat, Jul 11 2015, 4:12 pm
Lunch is grilled cheese in the sandwich maker. The kids make it themselves, the older kids make it for the younger ones. They also make a chocolate milk or have a yogurt.
On these long Fridays I give the younger kids chicken soup and rice or some cholent before shabbos.

sitting

Post Sat, Jul 11 2015, 6:18 pm
lunch is pizza bagels...later in day is baby potatoes. ...just throw in oven with olive oil and spices. kids eat that - and soup if they r v hungry. personally I find making kugal a pain and dont do it every wk so...

alittlebirdie

Post Sat, Jul 11 2015, 6:26 pm
Wow. So many. Nice ideas. Thanks for sharing everyone!

Blue jay

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 12:23 am
on Friday afternoon while I cook, my kitchen is an open buffet. They sample some of what I am cooking. They reach for fruit. PB and J sandwhiches, a bowl of cereal . There is no formal sit down meal until kiddush. My kids are ages 6-9. We all just munch and munch and then somehow after all that munching we are still hungry for Friday night kiddush!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics