Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Want to start school/program - ISO input and experiences
1  2  3  Next

seeker

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 12:45 pm
This is not a very well-developed idea and this is actually the first "research" I'm doing so far, but it's been percolating under the surface for a while and my impatience is growing the more I hear of people who need something that isn't available.

I am talking about kids who are high-functioning and intelligent, but could use smaller classes, need more support and teachers who are attuned to and educated about their needs. Strong social skills and behavior modification programs that are integrated into the rest of the day. Not a "special ed" feel, ideally nested within a regular school/class like the non-Jewish highly regarded Nest programs. The "general ed" (read: undiagnosed) population of the school would only benefit from teachers and staff supporting emotional, social, and behavioral needs.

I am seeing somewhat more of a need for girls (I think there are already one or two such options for boys) so that's where I'd want to begin.

Interested in hearing from anyone who can offer input in the following areas:
- Do you know of a school/program that already exists (anywhere in the WORLD) similar to what I described above? Which? Where? (first of all, if it already exist then MAYBE I will just forget my passion to reinvent the wheel and just go there. But also to have a role model to learn from successful ideas.)
- Have you been involved in any way with starting a new school or new educational/school-based program of any type? Where do you start? Any general advice/resources? If you are posting anon, can you please PM me in case I have more specific questions down the line?
- Do you know of schools that might be a good host for an inclusion program? (currently I live in NY but I'm sure there must be need elsewhere and if the opportunity is more viable elsewhere then I am open to moving. I'm guessing this would work best in a place with large or on-the-bigger-side frum population so there would be enough kids meeting this description.)
- Do you have a child who meets this description? What would you want in such a program? Would you realistically be interested in enrolling in the first class (assuming the program was put together amazingly, and is in the general NYC area starting with first grade girls)
- Are you a professional, parent, or activist who would be interested in helping to make this happen? Or do you have any connection to someone who might?

I don't even know what else. This is still in idea mode. I have no clue where to start any kind of planning, other than to fish for someone who has done anything at all similar and ask for advice. Help.

Maya

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 12:54 pm
Quote:
- Have you been involved in any way with starting a new school or new educational/school-based program of any type? Where do you start? Any general advice/resources?

We tried opening a school here in Monsey that would utilize progressive methods of education, as well as being open to a larger demographic here than the mainstream Chassidish girls schools are.

We had everything in place. A principal, an administrator, a curriculum, a budget, almost thirty students enrolled. But all our fundraising efforts failed, and we couldn't find the necessary funds to actually open. We funded the first $50,000 we needed to get it started and working throughout the summer (and we had a big talker who said he would give a few hundred grand and then backed out) but when September came around and no one else wanted to donate, we had to shut it down.

So my first and most important piece of advice is to secure the money before you put in months of hard work into this project. Unless, of course, you plan to fund it yourself.

I could probably help you with a lot of other things, but I wanted to say this first.

Stars

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 1:10 pm
This is a great idea! I would love to be involved in something like this.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 1:15 pm
Someone just told me that there's a program called Ichud that works with every school and provides evaluations and separate tracks.
Does anyone know about this and what it's like? Is it similar to what seeker is seeking?

seeker

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 1:39 pm
Maya, thanks. I was thinking step one would be a solid mission statement and outlined plan enough to give a vague idea of what's needed, and step 2 would be funding as well as researching what government funding could be available (government covers a certain amount of special ed services, but there are a lot of qualifiers).

seeker

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 1:41 pm
amother wrote:
Someone just told me that there's a program called Ichud that works with every school and provides evaluations and separate tracks.
Does anyone know about this and what it's like? Is it similar to what seeker is seeking?

Ichud is a lovely program, as of the last time I had anything to do with it it was not in every school but each grade was in a different school, I guess due to space/resource constraints. However, to my knowledge it is entirely separate classes and for kids on a lower learning level, and I don't know whether/what social and behavioral support is provided.

seeker

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 1:43 pm
Stars wrote:
This is a great idea! I would love to be involved in something like this.
Cool! Involved in what capacity?

Maya

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 1:46 pm
seeker wrote:
Maya, thanks. I was thinking step one would be a solid mission statement and outlined plan enough to give a vague idea of what's needed, and step 2 would be funding as well as researching what government funding could be available (government covers a certain amount of special ed services, but there are a lot of qualifiers).

Of course, you're right. A mission statement is the first step.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 3:43 pm
My husband has a program like that. I will pm you after Shabbos.

tigerwife

Post Sat, Jul 11 2015, 1:33 pm
Maya wrote:
Quote:
- Have you been involved in any way with starting a new school or new educational/school-based program of any type? Where do you start? Any general advice/resources?

We tried opening a school here in Monsey that would utilize progressive methods of education, as well as being open to a larger demographic here than the mainstream Chassidish girls schools are.

We had everything in place. A principal, an administrator, a curriculum, a budget, almost thirty students enrolled. But all our fundraising efforts failed, and we couldn't find the necessary funds to actually open. We funded the first $50,000 we needed to get it started and working throughout the summer (and we had a big talker who said he would give a few hundred grand and then backed out) but when September came around and no one else wanted to donate, we had to shut it down.

So my first and most important piece of advice is to secure the money before you put in months of hard work into this project. Unless, of course, you plan to fund it yourself.

I could probably help you with a lot of other things, but I wanted to say this first.

Wow, all that work! It must have been devastating when it fell through.

Good luck, Seeker, it's a good cause. I would love to work in a school like that but my degree is not in education.

seeker

Post Sat, Jul 11 2015, 7:19 pm
amother wrote:
My husband has a program like that. I will pm you after Shabbos.

Thanks! Will be waiting for it Smile

seeker

Post Sat, Jul 11 2015, 7:40 pm
Maya wrote:
Of course, you're right. A mission statement is the first step.

Well, the basic mission statement is more or less as I stated in OP. But I figured I'd need a more developed proposal of how it would work, and more than just one unknown entity (me!) on board, before I could go asking people for mega money. Also, should probably figure out whether/what part could be funded by government programs and approximately (to the nearest $100K??) how much would still be needed.

What I REALLY want, and have always sort of wanted, is to start a whole new school, but I'm thinking that for this specific purpose maybe a program within an established school would be a better starting point. But I envision that coming with difficulties such as having to work with their existing framework and the preferences of their administration. For example, MY school would have absolutely no food coloring, refined sugar, or sad excuses for food on the menu (proper nutrition is SO important for proper learning and behavior!) and I can't see that happening in an existing Bais Yaakov. And once you have a separate menu for the 'special program' kids that already starts to defeat the inclusion idea. On the other hand when you are within an existing school you already have the building/maintenance/transportation/a lot of equipment/materials/etc already more or less taken care of.

So for starters, I need to clarify which would be the better way to go...

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Jul 11 2015, 8:08 pm
seeker wrote:
Well, the basic mission statement is more or less as I stated in OP. But I figured I'd need a more developed proposal of how it would work, and more than just one unknown entity (me!) on board, before I could go asking people for mega money. Also, should probably figure out whether/what part could be funded by government programs and approximately (to the nearest $100K??) how much would still be needed.

What I REALLY want, and have always sort of wanted, is to start a whole new school, but I'm thinking that for this specific purpose maybe a program within an established school would be a better starting point. But I envision that coming with difficulties such as having to work with their existing framework and the preferences of their administration. For example, MY school would have absolutely no food coloring, refined sugar, or sad excuses for food on the menu (proper nutrition is SO important for proper learning and behavior!) and I can't see that happening in an existing Bais Yaakov. And once you have a separate menu for the 'special program' kids that already starts to defeat the inclusion idea. On the other hand when you are within an existing school you already have the building/maintenance/transportation/a lot of equipment/materials/etc already more or less taken care of.

So for starters, I need to clarify which would be the better way to go...

An existing school has rabbinical approval already which is important for fund raising. Also have you considered renting space in an existing school until you get established. Many schools do that.

youngishbear

Post Sat, Jul 11 2015, 8:39 pm
Can you define more clearly which type of students would benefit? Do you mean kids with ADD, for example? Perfectly functional, even brilliant, but a bit off socially, and could benefit immensely from smaller classrooms and skills training?

Or is it for the SN children who are too high functioning for the existing programs?

Please clarify.

seeker

Post Sat, Jul 11 2015, 8:50 pm
Could be both, not sure which SN you're referring to. But yes, ADHD, very high functioning ASD, other psychological/behavioral issues that do not affect academics and should be able to be mainstreamed but typical teachers just aren't equipped to handle them appropriately and most frum schools (that I've seen) don't have their own counselors on staff to help.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 12:45 am
What about gifted children? Their social level is often WAY behind their advanced academic level.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 6:00 am
What about the new Pathways elementary schools (Bais Yaakov and Yeshiva) advertised recently? Are they doing something like this? Does anyone know anything about it? Who is running it?

Seeker, I would be interested in something like this for my son. A school that is considered mainstream general ed, that combines both general ed and high functioning asd/adhd/special ed in the same classroom, and meets the needs of all students.

seeker

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 7:11 am
Iymnok wrote:
What about gifted children? Their social level is often WAY behind their advanced academic level.
YES. good point. Definitely within this category.

seeker

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 7:12 am
amother wrote:
What about the new Pathways elementary schools (Bais Yaakov and Yeshiva) advertised recently? Are they doing something like this? Does anyone know anything about it? Who is running it?

Seeker, I would be interested in something like this for my son. A school that is considered mainstream general ed, that combines both general ed and high functioning asd/adhd/special ed in the same classroom, and meets the needs of all students.

Don't know much about pathways and would love to hear more. Their ads looked intriguing but my impression was that it's exclusively for kids with learning disabilities. Not sure. Who is running it indeed?

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 7:24 am
pathways was started as a takeoff of ohr halimud, for kids with reading disabilities,

but being a new school they got a mix of kids

I'm not sure what's mainstream about it, from what I understand, it's a small self contained program
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics