Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Cleveland, OH social scene

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 4:48 pm
We are considering moving to Cleveland, OH. If so, we would most likely live in University Heights or Beachwood. We've already somewhat looked into housing, shul and school options, and we know the basics of where shopping and restaurants are located. At this point my questions are more about social aspects of life in Cleveland.

What types of opportunities and resources are available for stay-at-home mothers of young children? Are there playgroups for babies/toddlers and/or other young mothers to socialize with during the day?

What types of community events and activities are there, especially for women, and how often?

How hard is it to "break into" the community and make friends? Are there many subsets of the community or is everyone more or less one group?

TIA!

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 9:34 pm
I live in the university heights area. I work full time so I don't know of any playgroup type groups where the mothers stay and socialize. I do know that some of the playgroups have kids just for a few hours or a few days a week who's mothers stay home or only work part time.
There are social events but most are based on whatever group you belong to (kollel, school, shul). There are auctions, plays, melaveh malkahs for tzedakah, shiurim on shabbos for ladies. Now that its summer people are always getting together outside their houses or at parks.
Everyone is pretty much associated with an organization and is friends with the people in their group. But, everyone is nice and friendly with their neighbors even if they are not the exact same type.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 12:15 am
I just moved to Cleveland and I don't really know anyone here yet... We can be friends:)

But seriously, everyone I've met has been really nice and friendly. We got tons of offers for help when we moved in. I don't know about social events here and I work full time, but to meet people I've made an effort to go to shul each week and to invite guests for the shabbos meals. I'm not a very social type, but I feel like I've started to make a circle of acquaintances this way...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating