Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Computer game online for kids recommendations please

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 4:47 am
I am look for recommendations for online computer games suitable for boys age 7 - 10. I allow my kids a little time on the computer each day during the summer vacation, and I would prefer it to be something good quality.

What I mean is, not necessarily something educational where they are explicitly learning something new (although this is also nice, but I want them to feel like it is fun/relaxing too). But something good that is not a violent game involving shooting/fighting of any kind.

Their friends play Tanki, but that's just mindless shooting from what I can see. I don't think this is a healthy pastime.

Any suggestions greatly welcomed. Anon as I've also asked friends IRL.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 5:29 am
My DS likes "puzzle games," where you have to use the clues you are given to escape from a locked room, or solve the mystery. Would those be of interest? How strict are you about nonviolence? Would it matter if a solution involved lighting a fuse to blow a hole in the stone wall (nobody gets hurt), or the like?

Or what about a typing tutor game?

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 5:33 am
imasinger wrote:
My DS likes "puzzle games," where you have to use the clues you are given to escape from a locked room, or solve the mystery. Would those be of interest? How strict are you about nonviolence? Would it matter if a solution involved lighting a fuse to blow a hole in the stone wall (nobody gets hurt), or the like?

Or what about a typing tutor game?

Those all sound good, please share links!

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 5:41 am
minecraft? don't think it is violent. It is pretty addicting though but I assume you are limiting their time.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 5:49 am
I have to figure out which things are for tablet, and which for PC.

But try some of these:

Dance mat typing (BBC website) --
http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z3c6tfr

Google the free downloads available for the old KingsQuest games. (PC)

Check out Escape the Room.(tablet)

Look at games like Lost City (called "point and click adventures")

cuties' mom

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 8:24 am
abcya.com has mostly educational games but not only. My son loves any simulated driving game, and they have some mostly hidden behind educational stuff.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 8:29 am
Google "free hidden object games." Make sure you find ones that are not timed samples which are only free for a limited time and then you have to pay to play the whole game (unless you don't mind that).

My siblings and I used to play cooperative adventure games. We used to get them as channukah presents. They came in sets of disks and then CDs, but that was obviously a long time ago. We had a lot of fun figuring out clues together and it was a great way for kids of different ages to bond. I don't know what's current, but there was a series of games called King's Quest (1,2,3, etc.)

Are you OK with sports games? There are plenty of those around.

Check out pbskids.org for educational games. They are based on TV shows though, so I don't know if that would be an issue.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 9:25 am
My son likes coolmath.com
It is not just math but a lot of strategy and there are so many types of games to choose from!!
Also pbskids.org certain characters like fizzielunchlab games or cat in hat games or dinosaur train games....are for older kids while younger kids can play curious George games...
Pbskids has so many games to search through some for older kids some for younger just make sure ur son doesn't click on videos ---if u want him playing games he must click games

Also sesame street has a lot of games --some are for younger than 7 but some like Abby cadabby games are for older kids depending on the 7 yr olds level ---u can check them out!!

Gitch

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 9:46 am
Tynker.com teaches computer programming through games. They have a free hour of code, free activities and then courses you can buy.

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 9:59 am
My kids like lego.com which has games on as well. Not the most educational, but I let them have it sometimes. I also have a tablet for them with educational games like chess, pipe puzzles, word searches, piano playing, sequence games, etc. Even candy crush type games are educational because they have to figure out a strategy, and the racing games are great for hand-eye coordination (they are much better at it than I am!) but I limit those to one of each type.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children