Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
ACS Government Funded Child Care

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 6:04 am
Has anyone used the subsidized ACS program in NYC?
My two kids are already registered for pre-K in september, but it's getting difficult for us financially. So if I apply to this program, can I ask the director of the pre-K about it? I'm not sure if the ACS program only has specific pre-Ks on their list or if I could choose a school.
thanks.

chatz

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 6:28 pm
There's nothing wrong with asking if there's a way to qualify for financial assistance.

Basically, as I understand it (and I may be wrong as I am not speaking from personal experience and the NYC website isn't so clear), there are two types of funding. There is government funded programs, such as Head Start or ACS funded day care centers. Either your kids school is part of this or not. If they were, you would probably know about it, as you would have had to submit all the required income information and any other info they needed.

The second type is vouchers, which can be used for any legal childcare center or school. As I understand it, it is much much harder to get approved for this. Very, very low income, little or no resources.

If you're looking into subsidized programs, see if there's any in your area.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/acs/ht.....shtml the ACS centers are listed by borough. Some of them are frum.

On the flip side, it can be hard to lock a place in a school. If your children have a spot in a school that you like, you may want to keep your spots and ask the school if they have any options for discounts or scholarships or assistance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers