Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Help! Hot plate spill!

esther09

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 8:44 pm
I know sometimes people use different terms (plata/blech/hot plate etc.) here - I have an electric warming tray type thing like this one (not exact):

Over Shabbos, one of the things I put on the plate leaked (juice from meat I think) - and burnt and caked onto it. I haven't touched it - I don't know how to clean it. It's stainless steal I think and I don't have the directions but I'm pretty sure it warned against scrubbing because that would take off the top layer and be unsafe. How do I get off the burnt, caked on stuff?? I'm scared if I use it again it'll burn.

Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 10:09 pm
Would you use an oven cleaner like St Moritz?
Otherwise, try first with an item like scrubbing bubbles, let sit, then and use a sponge or gentle plastic type scrubber, which is not abrasive, to rub off.

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 10:17 pm
First, soften the charred material by laying over it a washcloth wrung out in very hot water. Let it sit for a while. then, take a hard plastic card like a credit card (but not a real credit card) and use the edge to scrape off as much of the stuff as you can. Fingernails work very well but you probably don't want to use your own, hence the credit card. Don't use anything metal, which will scratch. You could also use a thin piece of wood with an edge, like a tongue depressor or a ruler (not one with a metal edge.) You may need to repeat a few times. Then use baking soda to polish off the remainder.

If the surface is in fact stainless steel, it should be perfectly safe to scour it. Scouring might dull the surface if it has a shiny finish, but, hey, baked-on crud looks a lot worse than a dull finish. If it is coated steel, but not stainless, then scouring may remove the protective coating and allow the metal to rust. You don't want that.

If you know the brand name and model, Google on it. You may find instructions on the website.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen