Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Tehillim Needed
Bad news for the Jews
1  2  3  Next

morah

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 1:33 pm
It's official, the Iran deal has been announced: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015......html
Some tehillim is in order that Congress can kill this travesty. And tehillim for the safety of EY, and also the rest of the world.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 1:39 pm
Excuse the levity but there's a point:
2 people came to the beis din shel maalah at the same time, a rav and taxi driver. The taxi driver was ushered in to Gan Eden with great fanfare, the rav as an afterthought, and the latter asked what gives. They explained that when the rav spoke, people slept. When the taxi driver drove, people davened.
My point is, yes, we really need to daven. Maybe Obama will get some sechar (in olam hazeh) for motivating us. But - if Moshiach doesn't come first - this is iy"H defeated, we can't then go back to complacency, all's good now HKB"H, we'll call You when we need You again.
What we have to do today, and tomorrow, when the immediacy of this horror is right in front of us, and our tefillos are intense, is take a moment to remember the intensity. And try to summon it up on a more regular basis.

(And to say I'm talking to myself, not to you, is an understatement, trust me.)

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 1:39 pm
Is it bad news? It doesn't seem that simple.

A good way to root out terrorism is to make sure the country's economy is strong. People who aren't starving on the streets are less tempted to join extremist groups. I mean, just look at the French Revolution.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 1:48 pm
gp2.0 wrote:

A good way to root out terrorism is to make sure the country's economy is strong. People who aren't starving on the streets are less tempted to join extremist groups. I mean, just look at the French Revolution.

Do you mean the one from 220 years ago?
Is there any way of making sure the money goes exactly where it's supposed to? Oooh, I just thought of an excellent model of money being given to a group where there's been strict oversight to make sure schools and hospitals and all sorts of economic growth opportunities were created. If you want a really good political model think of Gaza.
Rolling Eyes

The president's said some really disturbing things:
- We negotiate with people we don't get along with.
- He backtracked on safeguards and oversights for nuclear development.
I could go on. I don't want to sound like right wing talk radio talking points, even if they're on target on this.

Jewishmom8

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 1:56 pm
uch its just so depressing.....
I know, I know hashem has a plan for us and everything that happens is for an ultimate good.

definitely appropriate for the 3 weeks.

morah

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 2:03 pm
Pinkfridge, I love it! And definitely appropriate sentiments during the Three Weeks.
Gp, you're assuming the money will be used to improve the lives of the people. Highly unlikely in a despotic country. And I don't trust for a second that Iran will keep up their end of the bargain. Ironic you bring up the French Revolution on Le Quatorze Juillet. Also ironic that the French helped engineer this deal which got closed on their independence day. We may celebrate freedom today (yes, me too, I have French citizenship) but both America and France have just done something that's going to get that freedom bitten in the tuchus.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 3:49 pm
Thanks, Morah.
I hadn't planned to go online again today but felt compelled to check in again to clarify: I don't want anyone to think that I think that Obama is some kulo evil person who should get all his reward in this world and none in the world to come. I do believe that he is mistaken on this (as is an eloquent, thoughtful frum writer who has defended this agreement) and was only referring to schar for the fright over this agreement.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 7:12 pm
Netanyahu makes some remarks about this in a video which is on You Tube.

The Pluto mission seems to have cost $700 million, and this matter you are mentioning here seems to have a figure of $1.5 billion attached to it, if I understand correctly. Something to do with freeing up funds or something. But I don't claim to understand.

Morah makes some interesting remarks upthread.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 3:43 am
Lev melochim v'sarim b'yad Hashem.
Of course it happened during the three weeks.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 4:23 am
gp2.0 wrote:

The entire govt of Iran is a active sponsor of terrorism. Giving them cash will simply allow them to be a more effective sponsor of terrorism, buying more and more effective weapons aimed at Jews.

Why on Earth would we want their economy to be strong? I think that is a ridiculous point of view.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 4:51 am
I think America is going to test Iran. Give them everything and when that first nuclear bomb hits Israel America can say "OOPS! embarrassed . Maybe this wasn't such a good idea". And then America will have a right to attack Iran's nuclear program. It's like when they send a canary into a coal mine to check that there's air. If the canary dies, the people know not to go in. If Israel is nuked, America knows what they have to do.

America is so brave and wonderful cause they never have to fight the war on their own soil. Iranian Nukes will never get to America cause Israel is their "Ally" protecting the front line. When the front line drops, America will finally bring in the cavalry.

And the thought of what Hamas, Hezbollah and the Palestinian State will do with all the terrorist money that Iran is now getting. We feel safe here cause we have an amazing army but there's a limit if the enemy can grow too strong.

My only hope now is, with ISIS involved, that all the Arabs just kill each other.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 5:06 am
The plan includes protection from Israel
http://www.israelnationalnews......98164
And we know it must be bad because they are now recommended for a Nobel peace prize
http://www.israelnationalnews......98168

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 5:10 am
Obama is an anti-semite. I don't know why anyone expected otherwise.

myself

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 5:16 am
Iymnok wrote:
The plan includes protection from Israel
http://www.israelnationalnews......98164
And we know it must be bad because they are now recommended for a Nobel peace prize

I think they ought to revisit the Nobel prize idea in a decade or so.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 5:32 am
Iymnok wrote:
What a disappointment to Obama. He's really trying hard for that Nobel peace prize (he's willing to blow up the world for it). Kerry's going to get it!!! Twisted Evil Poor Obama.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 5:43 am
DrMom wrote:
Obama is an anti-semite. I don't know why anyone expected otherwise.
Eight years ago everyone thought he was just a black African American (PC). But he's a Muslim! He's said it again and again and people are selectively deaf.

This is what I think... You know how the best spies are people who've been planted in their position for years and years till everyone trusts them... Well Obama has been an Islamic plant for many many years. He made it to President of the US (did they ever fully prove that he was born in America?). He slowly tried to ruin America with things like "Obama-care", but now as he reaches his last few months in office He's giving his world-power reins over to Iran.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 5:47 am
DrMom wrote:
The entire govt of Iran is a active sponsor of terrorism. Giving them cash will simply allow them to be a more effective sponsor of terrorism, buying more and more effective weapons aimed at Jews.

Why on Earth would we want their economy to be strong? I think that is a ridiculous point of view.

Because crazy governments rise out of poor countries, not flourishing ones.

I'm not saying it's an awesome idea. Frankly it sounds terrifying. Several countries have nuclear weapons, including Israel, the U.S., the UK, Russia, China and North Korea. Many more countries rely on nuclear power, and more will do so in the coming decades. It is a clean energy source that is necessary for growing economies.

Let's consider that the U.S. and other countries have had sanctions on Iran for the past 30 years and it hasn't made a difference.

I have yet to see any of the naysayers come up with a realistic plan that tries to dig Iran out of the terrorism hole instead of just piling dirt on the hole and pretending it doesn't exist.

Trying to pigeonhole this extremely complex issue into one big "Obama is bad" balloon is ridiculous. Are you aware that Russia and China wanted to lift all the sanctions immediately and instead there were lengthy negotiations where all these fail safes and clauses were added?

Furthermore does anyone really think that Iran hasn't been secretly stocking up their nuclear arsenal this entire time? What this agreement does is force them to be accountable and use at least the majority of the money to build nuclear power plants instead. The sanctions will also be put right back if there's any sign of funny business.

I think Obama did an awesome job of actually trying to fix this problem instead of sticking his head in the sand.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 6:02 am
But the bottom line is that you just can't trust Iran.

princessleah

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 6:56 am
Sanguine wrote:
Eight years ago everyone thought he was just a black African American (PC). But he's a Muslim! He's said it again and again and people are selectively deaf.

This is what I think... You know how the best spies are people who've been planted in their position for years and years till everyone trusts them... Well Obama has been an Islamic plant for many many years. He made it to President of the US (did they ever fully prove that he was born in America?). He slowly tried to ruin America with things like "Obama-care", but now as he reaches his last few months in office He's giving his world-power reins over to Iran.

This post sounds like some of my patients. I work in a Schizophrenia clinic.

Honestly, why would this deal cause Iran to nuke Israel now? They have been working on their weapons for years, and Israel has not pre-emptively attacked them. If this deal works, it would slow down their development of nuclear weapons, not speed it up!

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 7:01 am
I feel so pathetic I have NO clue what is going on dealing with kids and their daily "crisis" in the summer... Can someone clarify the entire situation with several bullet points.

I am such an uninformed misfit...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Tehillim Needed