Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Removing adenoids

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 6:34 pm
Experience? Pros ? Cons? After effects? Would love to hear .

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 6:36 pm
Just did it for dd this spring. Best thing we could have done. Congestion cleared up. Healing x was very quick.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 6:43 pm
Healing was or wasn't quick?

sky

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 7:06 pm
My son had it done with his tubes. I think I was expecting the healing to be quick because everyone said tubes is no big deal.
But he was really miserable for almost a week, had a low grade fever, stayed home a few days. When I asked the dr he said it was normal.
Still happy I did it.

WriterMom

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 7:12 pm
Curious to read responses, because I never had my adenoids out as a kid as my mother was concerned about long term effects, and am considering it now for me AND a child as we both have chronic congestion and it's obnoxious.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 7:21 pm
We did it when my son was 2, best thing ever. Never got a sinus infection since (and he used to get them about once a month). Also cured his sleep apnea. Recovery was very quick. He only needed painkillers for a day. We did keep him home for a week because the doctor said to, but he was bouncing off the walls because he felt just fine. The one big side effect was horrendous breath for a week (which you can't brush away). Also, it took about 6 weeks to see the results.
Writermom, I'd be worried more about you than your child. Much easier the younger you are. Your kid will probably be fine in a few days, you may have side effects for a week or two.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 7:41 pm
What do you mean by more concerned over me?

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 7:42 pm
Oh I get it! You were talking to writer mom Very Happy

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 7:48 pm
WriterMom wrote:
Curious to read responses, because I never had my adenoids out as a kid as my mother was concerned about long term effects, and am considering it now for me AND a child as we both have chronic congestion and it's obnoxious.

I'm pretty sure adults don't have adenoids.
IIRC, they disappear with puberty.

WriterMom

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 8:02 pm
LMAO according to Wiki and Google, you are correct! Thank you!

So the good news is, I won't be having a surgery. The bad news is, there is no surgical cure for my constant sinusitis!

I will have to reevaluate (with the doctor, of course, I won't place this burden on imamother!) whether it makes sense to have the surgery for a 4 year old, then. Adenoids seem to start shrivelling at 5-7. If I thought it would spare him a lifetime of trouble, I'd be more eager, but if he might outgrow it (or if he could have the same problems, like me, even without adenoids) then there's less benefit.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 8:49 pm
My son had them removed at 6. At that age it was still worth it. It didn't help his loud snoring - but that isn't why we did it.

WriterMom

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 8:53 pm
Sky, what were the benefits? The boy in question has a constant runny nose, and periodically needs abx for what seems to be a sinus infection (pain and dark green mucus.) It would be worth a bit of discomfort to stop that. (I realize that there is no guarantee it would work for me even if it worked for you.)

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 9:09 pm
WriterMom wrote:
Sky, what were the benefits? The boy in question has a constant runny nose, and periodically needs abx for what seems to be a sinus infection (pain and dark green mucus.) It would be worth a bit of discomfort to stop that. (I realize that there is no guarantee it would work for me even if it worked for you.)

It absolutely pays for a 4 year old.
Surgery is really not major.
You don't want him to have that kind of nose until he's 13-14-15 whenever he reaches puberty.

Do it, you won't regret it.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 9:10 pm
WriterMom wrote:

He had a major hearing loss due to fluid buildup in the ear and his eardrums could not contract. The Dr believed that the tubes alone wouldn't do it and his enlarged adenoids were to blame as well. After the surgery his hearing improved tremendously [along with his behavior, self control and social skills] (until the tubes fell out...)

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 9:11 pm
My nephew had his removed at age 12. It was well worthwhile for him and his mom was sorry she hadn't done it earlier.

My daughter is having her tonsils (and adenoids) out at age 9.

AFAIK, adenoids stop growing between ages 5-7 but they are still there after that.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 11:59 am
Just did it for my son aged 4 (in the UK) Instant recovery, was amazing. No more snoring, heavy breathing, sleep apnea, congestion etc

suzyq

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 1:03 pm
My 3-1/2 year old had his tonsils and adenoids removed due to chronic ear infections and probable sleep apnea (he snored like crazy). It was extremely helpful for him - his speech was delayed before the surgery (he had the surgery when he was 2-1/2) and now he has totally caught up. He still has occasional ear infections but much less and easier to treat and NO MORE snoring.

My 2-year old had his adenoids removed a few months ago. He has been much less congested since and hasn't had any ear infections either.

Both of them took a full week to completely recover. I didn't have to keep them home that long, but their nights were difficult until a full week later.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics