Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Should I get paid even when my boss tells me not to come in.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 10:53 am
I have a part time job where I go in to the office one day a week and the other days I work from home.
The deal was that when I am in the office I get paid by the hour but when I am home I only get paid when a customer calles.
Because it is the summer it has been slow so very few customers are calling.
I was suppose to go into the office the other day but my boss called and said there is very little work so I dont have to come in.
Should I still get paid for the hours I should of been in the office? I am so bad at this. My boss is nice but so stingy when it comes to my salary.

gittelchana

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 11:35 am
This is a Halachic question for a Rov.

nyer1

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 11:50 am
not a question for a rav if the person she works for isn't frum…

why don't you bring it up to your boss? say in a very diplomatic way, "I was counting on X amount of hours… is there another way I can make up the time in order to be paid? perhaps there is organizing in the office that needs to be done etc"

vicki

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 11:55 am
If you have a contract or even verbal understanding that you work in the office one day a week you can insist that you rely on that salary and need the "in office" pay for that day.
Even if not you can still make that argument.
You can claim this job is not meeting your minimum requirements if he makes you work at home unexpectedly.
Good luck.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 12:01 pm
gittelchana wrote:
This is a Halachic question for a Rov.

It also may be a matter of state labor law.

gibberish

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 12:14 pm
Legally they are not required to pay you if you didn't work. You are hourly and they only need to pay you for hours worked. They have the right to say that they don't need you. Depending on your state, you may be able to file an unemployment claim for partial benefits if there was a reduction in hours.

cbg

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 12:16 pm
Did he let you know a few days in advance, or last minute, the day you were suppose to come in?

For example, I have a part time cleaning lady working for me. If I let her know a week ahead of time that I wont need her, I don't pay her, but if I tell her the night before, I pay her. The night before is. Not enough time for her to get another job.

At the beginning of the summer I told my cleaning lady I need less hours in the summer. I gave her 2 weeks notice, and also told her that I would need the regular hours again in September. This gave her a chance to look for new work. I risked losing her completely, but that was a risk I was willing to take.

Your boss should at least give you some notice, so you can decide if this is the right job for your needs.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 12:56 pm
cbg wrote:
Did he let you know a few days in advance, or last minute, the day you were suppose to come in?

For example, I have a part time cleaning lady working for me. If I let her know a week ahead of time that I wont need her, I don't pay her, but if I tell her the night before, I pay her. The night before is. Not enough time for her to get another job.

At the beginning of the summer I told my cleaning lady I need less hours in the summer. I gave her 2 weeks notice, and also told her that I would need the regular hours again in September. This gave her a chance to look for new work. I risked losing her completely, but that was a risk I was willing to take.

Your boss should at least give you some notice, so you can decide if this is the right job for your needs.

No my boss called me as I had one foot out the door to leaver for work.
So frustration I could of done so many other things with that time if I knew.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics