Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Pidyon Haben IVF baby

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:27 am
Does anyone know if an IVF first born baby boy needs a pidyon haben?

I thought only miscarraige disqualifies one. A friend just told me that we may not be able to make one and I can't imagine what we'll tell people if its a natural birth...

youngishbear

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:31 am
I've heard of people doing one without the bracha or something like that, I'm not sure of the halachic details. I also don't know of any firsthand. But ask a rav who is familiar with the subject. There may be a way to avoid the public exposure of your private information.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:31 am
I thought it was peter rechem.?

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:55 am
Iymnok wrote:
I thought it was peter rechem.?

What's a peter rechem?

mfb

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 12:06 pm
amother wrote:
What's a peter rechem?

The baby that opens the womb.
I also thought this way, but I don't know much about pidyon haben.

mfb

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 12:10 pm
Also op if you find out you can't make a pidyon, you don't have to tell pple about ivf. There are other times you can't also, like if you had a miscarriage after a certain week... Let pple think whatever they want.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 1:52 pm
I've been invited to pidyonei haben (is that the plural?) for babies conceived via IVF. As long as there were no previous births (miscarriages count at a certain point), it was a vaginal delivery, and neither parent is a (bas) kohen or levi, as far as I understand, there is still one. But it can't hurt to ask.

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 2:00 pm
I've never heard of IVF disqualifying a pidyon haben.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 2:18 pm
As far as I know, the only reason my first born son conceived via IVF did not have a pidyon haben is because I delivered through a c/section. Otherwise, we had planned on one. Please ask your Rav. I believe your friend is wrong.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 2:31 pm
I'm one of those who disqualified because my husband is a Laivi, so I don't know much about it, but from what I learned: kohen, Laivi (also if mother is bas kohen or Laivi), miscarriage (but not if it was very early), c-section all mean no pidyon. Also it mist be the mother's first child. I've never heard of IVF having anything to do with it, though obviously LOR. Perhaps your friend is misinformed and thinks fertility treatments mean you must have miscarried or that you must have a c-section.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 2:42 pm
my son had pidon haben after early twin & single miscarriage plus ivf ,I don't think ivf babies disqualify . they might not have conceived like other pregnant women but if natural birth they deliver from the same place like every woman does( petech rchem )

Miri7

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 2:43 pm
Just ask your fav. I haven't heard of this before.

I also don't think that people will ask why there is no pidyon ha ben. The reason is usually pretty private - miscarriage, so people generally don't ask. If they ask if there will be one - just say no. If they then ask why - you can say that's a pretty personal question. People will assume you had a miscarriage.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 2:52 pm
My first born was an IVF baby..he had a pidyon Haben

goodmorning

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 3:02 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I've been invited to pidyonei haben (is that the plural?)

Actually, I think it's pidyonei habanim. Multiple redemptions of multiple sons.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 3:25 pm
My son was also an IVF baby and had a pidyon haben. As far as I know from our Rav, that is definitely not a disqualifier.

Newmom12

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 4:57 pm
Totally no idea what the Halacha is I do know that it's not straight out. At my son's pidyon haben the rav asked a series of questions ie. Is this your first child, was there a csec and was the child conceived naturally. So there seems to be an issue don't know if ivf would disqualify for a pidyon haben ask your LOR...

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 5:29 pm
As far as I know, IVf does not disqualify for a pidyon Haben. I had a different fertility treatment and had twin boys. My older twin had a pidyon haben. there is no such thing as pidyon habanim - the mitzva is to redeem the peter rechem and therefore we redeemed our first son - the one who was born first - naturally of course bc c section would disqualify as it does not peter the rechem. His twin brother came to the pidyon haben but there was no celebration about him. Don't worry - he isn't harmed by the fact Very Happy

sourstix

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 10:02 pm
what does the word peter rechem mean? that the womb was opened? doesent a csec open the womb? please help me I dont understand

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 10:42 pm
sourstix wrote:
what does the word peter rechem mean? that the womb was opened? doesent a csec open the womb? please help me I dont understand
My guess is it means the cervix. Only babies that pass through thr cervix qualify.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions