Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Secret to cleaning pyrex

abaker

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 5:16 pm
WHAT IS THE SECRET?????

please tell me how to get glass pyrex baking dishes clean? anytime I make lasagna or enchilladas or even something like rice or salmon....there is always a gross residue after scrubbing like crazy/ washing it in the dishwasher/soaking it in soapy water.

Delores

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 5:19 pm
You can spray oven cleaner on it but I don't know how healthy that is. How do you make rice in a Pyrex dish? Don't you cook/steam rice over a flame?

abaker

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 5:22 pm
I make rice in the oven all the time. so easy and I dont have to watch it like if I made it on stove top. I try to use a disposable pan but if I dont have one I use pyrex or roasting pan. I just add 1 cup rice to 2 cups boiling water. season. cover. bake for 20 mins. wallah!

I dont own oven cleaner...and sounds unhealthy! but thanks for the idea. keep the tips coming please theres gotta be a way to get all the yuck off

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 5:23 pm
only thing that works for me is scrubbing hard with a brillow pad... kills a manicure though

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 5:25 pm
Frankly, this (and fear of breakage) is why I don't use Pyrex bakeware. Try Bon Ami and elbow grease. Oven cleaner works like a charm but it should be registered as a weapon of mass destruction. If it were invented today you would need a special permit to buy it.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 5:57 pm
Oven cleaner works well on pyrex or corning ware. I prefer to use Citra Solv. It's non toxic, and cleans grease and burnt on food. http://www.citrasolv.com/

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 6:11 pm
it's actually not complicated at all. use a piece of dry steel wool (brillo is fine, but I don't recommend the soap pads. just plain steel wool) and a bunch of concentrated dish soap. scrub without water. this removes just about everything. my pyrex is clean, and I've owned it for ten years.

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 6:22 pm
I would avoid steel wool on Pyrex. It scours like a dream, but it can also scratch, and scratched Pyrex can shatter when heated.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 6:33 pm
I really haven't had a problem with it, zaq. pyrex is pretty tough. I don't scour it often, only when necessary. I admit I don't typically use it for anything really tough, maybe that's why it has held up so well.

sneakermom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 8:57 pm
Not to derail this thread..but I threw my Pyrex out a year or so after marriage.

I grew up using disposable aluminum pans and didn't know how to deal with those awful stubborn grease stains in the corners!!

I am fascinated by them though. It makes every dish look so appetizing. So crisp and clean.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 9:27 pm
Mine comes out perfect in the dishwasher every time

hinenimuchan

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 9:38 pm
I soak first in soapy, hot water and then rub with Bon Ami on a damp sponge or paper towel.

Sewsew_mom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 9:57 pm
Ya was gonna say mine comes out perfect from dishwasher as well.

Sunnydays

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 10:44 pm
What dishwasher do you have?

Orchid

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:36 pm
Steel wool. Have never had it scratch the pyrex.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 5:06 am
Also, steel wool, no scratches. I feel things come out better in Pyrex.

abaker

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 2:21 pm
we have a whirpool thats less than a year old. its terrible. I have to rinse off every bit of food before putting it in the dishwasher, ugh! or it doesnt come clean! and I use good quality soap and jet dry

anyway heres what I ended up doing. put the pyrex (that was stained with caked on sauce from enchiladas) in a dishpan, sprinkled some baking powder on the stains filled the pyrex about half way with white vinegar (good thing that stuff is really cheap) and let it soak over night. then I washed it with a normal sponge and it is the cleanest I've ever seen it! looks brand new.

so looks like I asked about the "secret" but I discovered one out of "omgosh how am I gonna clean this!?" desperation.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 2:30 pm
Some of you must have magic dishwashers.

My pyrex always kept those brownish stains in the corners. It didn't feel dirty, nothing to scrape off. Just stained I think.

But anyhow it's no longer an issue for me. After having a piece explode on me (boy was that fun) I will never bake in pyrex again.

abaker

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 2:49 pm
MiracleMama wrote:

But anyhow it's no longer an issue for me. After having a piece explode on me (boy was that fun) I will never bake in pyrex again.

I also had a pyrex explode into 1000000000 pieces! it was on the stove top and I accidently turned the wrong (electric) burner on and it exploded all over my kitchen. what a nightmare! same thing happened to my father in law but it actually burnt his hardwood floor. and the company just told him too bad pyrex isnt meant to handle direct high heat.

but I cant buy a zillion disposables so now im just careful not to put pyrex anywhere near the top of the stove.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry