Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How do you keep busy during the 9 days?
1  2  3  Next

innovative mom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 10:22 pm
With keeping to the minimal in cleaning and laundry, Dont know how do you keep busy during the 9 days?

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 10:29 pm
Minimal cleaning? I wish I would have less to clean.

observer

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 10:32 pm
I am not any less busy in the nine days....always on overtime!

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 10:34 pm
What cleaning has to be minimal? I thought the restriction is only on laundry, not anything else (meaning you are allowed to wash your floor just not your clothes)

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:15 pm
OP, what's your stage of life that you have a problem keeping busy during the nine days? Does laundry really take up such a large chunk of your time that without it you are left at loose ends? There are still beds to make, floors to sweep, groceries to buy, meals to prepare, dishes to wash, trash to take out, toilets to scour...

ROFL

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:18 pm
If you have extra time, please come to me and help. I really need it.
Thanks

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:29 pm
By yelling at my kids to hang up their clothes and towels and wear/ use them more than once.

Seriously though, a slow down in laundry doesn't really leave me a with a big void in my life.

observer

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:33 pm
innovative mom wrote:
With keeping to the minimal in cleaning and laundry, Dont know how do you keep busy during the 9 days?

...and with a username like that?!?!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:35 pm
I hope I don't keep cleaning to a minimum. What would be the point of that?

black sheep

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:49 pm
baruch hashem with little kids I don't have an issue of keeping busy during any time of the year, but to answer your question anyway and give some advice, so many mothers are completely overwhelmed with everything they need to do and life is a constant juggling act, so if you find that you have time to spare during the 9 days, why not do some chesed and offer help to someone in need? that certainly would be in the spirit of the 9 days, and it would solve your dilemma.

agreer

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:49 pm
1. watch sad videos about the churban
2. listen to lectures on the 9 days on torahanytime.com
3. say extra tehillim
4. do extra chessed
5. file/organize pictures, online or in albums
6. make new fish/dairy recipes (and share them on imamother)

hinenimuchan

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:54 pm
Well, for one thing, I have to spend more time on dinner prep because I can't use the fleishig leftovers from shabbos, which usually cover about two weekday dinners.

That probably uses up the actual freed-up time that I would have spent on laundry.

More than actual freed time, I have a sense of reduced pressure since the essentials are washed and I can't wash the accumulated non-essential things that I never can seem to get to. I actually enjoy that freedom much more than I enjoy clean laundry...makes me feel a little guilty. So I try to take on an extra chessed project and/or relevant learning so I that I don't feel inappropriate pleasure and at the same time hopefully bring the rebuilding of the beit hamikdosh one step closer.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 6:49 am
ra_mom wrote:
I hope I don't keep cleaning to a minimum. What would be the point of that?

Actually, I don't know the source but I believe it does come from somewhere. I remember that in the nine days my mother only washed the floors for Shabbos.

innovative mom

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 7:43 am
amother wrote:
Actually, I don't know the source but I believe it does come from somewhere. I remember that in the nine days my mother only washed the floors for Shabbos.

That's what my Rav told me. He said that during the week of the 9 days the cleaning should be kept to the basics of keeping the house orderly and decent. Wiping dirty spots off the floor is allowed and if possible one should refrain from washing the whole floor until erev shabbos.

innovative mom

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 7:46 am
observer wrote:
...and with a username like that?!?!

I have my plans, if I manage to get to them. Was just curious as to what others have in mind.

imaima

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 8:08 am
innovative mom wrote:
That's what my Rav told me. He said that during the week of the 9 days the cleaning should be kept to the basics of keeping the house orderly and decent. Wiping dirty spots off the floor is allowed and if possible one should refrain from washing the whole floor until erev shabbos.

That's how my cleaning gets done the rest of the year too....

The Happy Wife

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 9:56 am
imaima wrote:
That's how my cleaning gets done the rest of the year too....

Me too! I feel like I'm so busy just trying to do the minimum I can't imagine doing anything less.

sushi galore

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 10:03 am
Fill up freezer with meals or goodies. You can prepare for the upcoming yomim tovim.... like challos, compote, soups.... they all freeze well. I know many people who do it.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 10:55 am
This whole no cleaning the floor and washing down the furniture just boggles my mind. Not that I keep busy with these things all the time but I do it twice a week, every week, including this coming week be"h.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 1:10 pm
The Happy Wife wrote:
Me too! I feel like I'm so busy just trying to do the minimum I can't imagine doing anything less.

Me too! LOL
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics