Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How do you keep busy during the 9 days?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

egam

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 12:04 pm
By working full time Scratching Head ?

MrsDash

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 1:26 pm
innovative mom wrote:
That's what my Rav told me. He said that during the week of the 9 days the cleaning should be kept to the basics of keeping the house orderly and decent. Wiping dirty spots off the floor is allowed and if possible one should refrain from washing the whole floor until erev shabbos.

Perhaps this is the result from people overdoing the cleansing prior to pesach? Twisted Evil

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:
a slow down in laundry doesn't really leave me a with a big void in my life.

LOL LOL LOL

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 1:38 pm
Any time saved by not doing laundry is more than compensated for by the extra time it takes to try to maintain socially-acceptable levels of hygiene without actually taking a daily shower.

hinenimuchan

Post Sat, Jul 18 2015, 8:05 pm
Slight tangent. Years ago I learned that there is a custom to clean the house on Tisha B'Av itself, to get the house ready for Mashiach, I believe. If so, wouldn't that make it fine to clean the other days?

boysrus

Post Sat, Jul 18 2015, 8:09 pm
To the OP
please feel free to come help me during your free time. I have tons to do and just cant seem to get it done, possibly because all my kids are home and have been home for weeks now (camp is just too expensive for us to do this year...).
cant imagine having free time, sounds like a dream...

June

Post Sat, Jul 18 2015, 11:11 pm
hinenimuchan wrote:
Slight tangent. Years ago I learned that there is a custom to clean the house on Tisha B'Av itself, to get the house ready for Mashiach, I believe. If so, wouldn't that make it fine to clean the other days?

I read in a halacha sefer that cleaning the house is absolutely forbidden on Tisha B'av, EXCEPT if you have this minhag in your mesorah.

It is definitely an accepted minhag not to do anything beyond basic cleaning during the 9 days (except for Shabbos).

If you're not sure what to do, AYLOR.

myself

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 3:46 am
hinenimuchan wrote:

Remember learning that the minhag is to clean the house on Tisha b'Av after chatzos.

hinenimuchan

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:01 am
Yes, "Myself," what I was referring to was after Chatzot. Thank you for reminding me.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:24 am
How do you keep busy during the 9 days? So glad you asked...

This is written by the same person who wrote The Three Weeks Challenge http://www.imamother.com/forum.....ight= that I posted last week
(Again - I'm posting this cause I liked it. If you don't... just stop reading. I'm purposely not writing where it's from cause it's not important and would be if I said where it was from (you can PM me if you want to know. I'm not planning to say "surprise!" later - it's really not a big deal))

Quote:
9 Ideas for the 9 Days:

The “3 Weeks” have now become the “9 Days” and life has just gotten far more difficult. No laundries, no showers, no swimming and no pastrami sandwiches. Seems like the big expression around here is simply; “Just Say NO!” Therefore, please allow me to change things up a bit. I have always trained myself to think differently so here is a list which you won’t read anywhere else. It is a list of things which you can actually say “YES” to during these 9 days. I call it my “9 ideas for the 9 days”.

-Say “YES” to living a meaningful 9 days. Don’t be bitter, mad and depressed. Don’t focus on the negative and how many hot dogs you could have consumed. These are very special days and you need to focus on the positive. These 9 days connect Am Yisrael together because – all over the world – Jews are pressing the pause button in their busy and modern lives. Instead of the fun summer barbeques and beach parties (don’t worry, you will have plenty of time for these things) we connect to our roots and our history. We remember Hashem’s house and what it means to live as Jews without it. We connect to those who gave their lives “Al Kiddush Hashem” and to those who fought battles so we could be strong and proud Jews today. During these 9 days you need to think about these great heroes and identify with their struggles. When you do that, your 9 days will be quite special and meaningful.

-Say “YES” to getting to know everything about Machon Ha’Mikdash – The Temple Institute. For 30 years this amazing organization led by Rabbi Yisrael Ariel and Rabbi Chaim Richman have educated our nation about the Mikdash. Just walk into any Judaica store and see how many books, pictures, puzzles and games there are which explain the beauty and significance of the Bet Ha’Mikdash. All of those items – every single one – are a result of the groundbreaking work done by the Temple Institute. They have published in depth scholarly seforim on the Mikdash and recently a 400 page sefer on the menorah! They have published Mishnas (such as Midos and Pesachim) and various Gemaras (such as Yoma) that explain the Bet Ha’Mikdash as never before. They have published Machzorim and Siddurim that focus on the holidays and the prayers in the Mikdash and their Pesach Haggadah is incredible. They have children’s story books and coloring books and games and software that makes teaching about the Bet Ha’Mikdash fun and educational. Finally, they have an amazing website that is constantly updated with videos, shiurim and fascinating information: TempleInstitute,org. Therefore, during these 9 days, put down Facebook and Instagram and spend quality time on the website of Machon Ha’Mikdash. You will not regret it.

-Say “YES” to your family. These days are perfect for quality family time and you don’t need a vacation to do it! Since you can’t go to the pool or the movies or even the mall for a fun shopping spree, why not sit at home and get to know your own family?? Talk to your spouse and your kids. I realize that this sounds silly but when was the last time you actually did that? With all the crazy distractions we have and all the things pulling us in different directions, these 9 days are perfect for family and you don’t even need to fire up the barbeque! A simple spaghetti dinner is perfect to chat with your kids about camp. Sit down at night with your spouse over a nice cup of coffee and since you can’t watch some stupid movie, look at each other and talk about the kids and how much nachas they bring you. This may actually bring you great enjoyment and pleasure but guess what? It’s 100% permitted during the 9 days… so do it!!!

-Say “YES” to learning from an older person. We don’t realize the treasure we have in the older generation. Every one of the older men and women in your shul or community can write a 500 page book on their life experiences. They are walking and talking museums and have priceless stories. During these 9 days, go over to an older man after the morning minyan and ask him to tell you about his life. Ask him to share some of his experiences with you. I promise that you will be amazed by their reaction and by their stories. They will share incredible things with you, which will brighten both your day as well as theirs. I remember doing this recently with an older man in my shul in Herziliya. He comes to shul every Shabbat and is all alone. I never saw him with a wife or with children so I became his friend and asked him about his life. What this man told me was amazing. He was a partisan fighter during the Holocaust, came to Israel after the war, married and had 2 kids and worked as a spy for the Mossad!! You read that right… the guy was a spy!! How cool is THAT?? A few years ago his wife passed away and his kids live outside of Herziliya so he is alone in an assisted living center. I took my daughter to talk to him as well and over the years we have become close. The man is a hero but until I spoke to him, he was just some old guy in shul. Please, get to know these men and women and have them share their lessons in life with you. The problem is that you will need much more than 9 days to do this!

-Say “YES” to learning Torat Eretz Yisrael. I am not talking against any kind of learning you presently do – all Torah is holy – but focus these 9 days on the Torah of the Land of Israel. This is the period of time where we were thrown out of the Land so this is a perfect time to study about what makes Israel so special. There are many books today in English by the great Rav Kook including online shiurim that explain his holy words. Listen to these shiurim during the 9 days. Learn the sefer “Em Ha’banim Se’meycha” (available in English) written by Harav Teichtal shortly before he was murdered in the Holocaust. Visit the website of Rav Nachman Kahana – who wrote the ground breaking commentary to Tosfos called “Mey Menuchos”. His website is replete with Torat Eretz Yisrael and can be found at NachmanKahana.com Use these 9 days to open your eyes to the world of Torah that explains and describes the beauty and holiness of our special Land.

-Say “YES” to inreach. This is a word you may not be familiar with, but it is important. We all know what “outreach” is and how vital it is to bring Torah close to those outside our world but “inreach” is just as important. This word means to reach out to those IN our community who might have fallen a bit to the side or who find little or no excitement in a Torah was of life. Inreach can be performed with kids still IN Yeshivos, not just the ones who ran away. We tend to rush and invite those kids who are already off the derech – and that is a wonderful thing to do – but what about those who are still on the derech but making several wrong turns? By doing proper inreach, we can prevent the need for outreach at a later date! Therefore, during these days when you have time, look around for people in your community (and not just kids) who seem bored with Judaism. These 9 days can be real trouble for them because all they see are depressed people complaining about dirty clothes, no swimming and all the baked ziti they are eating. You need to counter those complaints with positive energy and how special our nation is to have the ability to connect to events from thousands of years ago. What other religion does that? Who else in today’s modern world thinks about yesterday… let alone 2,000 years ago? How special does that make us that we identify and salute the great men and women from long ago? What an honor to be part of this nation!! Tell that to these bored and miserable people who are simply crying over their lack of steak. Reach out INSIDE our community and light these people up with enthusiasm and energy for Torah and tradition.

-Say “YES” to calling and meeting with Nefesh b’Nefesh. What a better time than the 9 days to open your Aliyah file? All the great Kabbalists say that our job is to do a “tikun” – to rectify and repair the mistakes of old. Well, 2,000 years ago our grandfathers and grandmothers made some serious errors and were driven from the Land. So… now is the time to repair those mistakes and return to the Land. We all know that “sinas chinam” is what destroyed the Bet Ha’Mikdash and all the Rabbis say that it will take the opposite – “ahavas chinam” to rebuild it but I say that this is not enough. Yes, we must do teshuva and love every Jew but we must also move back to Eretz Yisrael! You really think you can just love all Yidden and then stay the next 120 years in Queens, New Jersey or South Africa? Seriously? Call Nefesh b’Nefesh today. Call on Tisha B’av if you have to… right in the middle of the kinos!! This is our #1 job and something that requires a big and happy “YES”!

-Say “YES” to living a life of Kedusha (holiness) and not just Halacha. I know that you realize that the two go together – and they definitely should – but they often do not. I have seen people keep halacha with all the stringencies but, sadly, kedusha is far removed. This article is already too long so I will not go into this concept is detail but allow me to write this one thought: Be honest. You know exactly what I mean when I say Kedusha. The Nesivos Shalom speaks a lot about this. He states, many times in his wonderful sefer, that the concept of holiness is foreign to all nations except the Jews. All other religions have holy men or holy women but they never have the notion of the entire nation being holy. In our Torah, over and over again it says; “Kedoshim te’he’yoo” which commands every Jewish man, woman and child to be holy. What a special opportunity we have, which has not been given to anybody else! Therefore, use this time – these very special 9 days – to do more than follow the Halacha. Connect your soul to Hashem and infuse Kedusha into your home and life.

-This last “YES” suggestion is the greatest and best one of all. I call it; Say “YES” to being part of history. With the help of Hashem, this will be the last time we keep the 9 days in this way. By next year, these will be great and happy days with lots of meat… the meat of the Korbanos in the Bet Ha’Mikdash! Wine will be flowing and happy songs will be sung by the Leviim. We will dance during these 9 days and celebrate with our children and grandchildren. Therefore, make these 9 days memorable because they will be the last ones with all the restrictions. You will be able to tell your future generations that you fasted on the last Tisha B’av! Never again will we go 9 days without eating ribs and veal chops! Never again will we miss our morning coffee and have migraine headaches during all those fast days that mourn the Bet Ha’Mikdash! Never again will we wear dirty clothes! From now on it’s serving the King in His palace and teaching the world about Hashem. What great days are in store for us!

Therefore, use these suggestions to have a meaningful, holy and very special 9 days and remember to take notes and lots of pictures because we will never do this again!

myself

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 11:30 am
Thanks for posting Sanguine!

innovative mom

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 11:39 am
Op here.
No, I'm not bored. I actually thought this post would lead to something a bit more on a positive note.
Having to work the schedule very differently then I would on a day to day basis does take some reframing of my mind.
Baruch Hashem I'm a busy mom of a family in the double digits bli aiyin horah. And yes, laundry, ironing, cleaning, cooking, shopping and running errands does take up most of my time. I do look forward to the 9 days to be able to catch up on reconnecting to Hashem though tefilla and working on my middos and and on some projects that I don't get to all year. This years projects is to load loads of pictures into albums. Haven't gotten to it quite some years, and organize, write and rewrite my recipes.

Hatzlachah to all and have an easy fast and may we be zoche that this be the last 9 days of mourning for good!

innovative mom

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 11:40 am
myself wrote:
Thanks for posting Sanguine!

I second this as well. Very Happy

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 1:05 pm
Seriously?

Let's assume you are a newlywed, so then, take time for yourself.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 2:07 pm
Wanted inspiring?

I just put away the last few items that had been sitting in my suitcase since Pesach because I did not know what to do with them. This is huge for Shalom Bayit. My husband unpacks immediately when we return from a trip and hates when I leave stuff around. But if it's not the nine days or Shabbat, I am rarely around the house with time and energy for organizing non-public parts of the house (and I can't do that on Shabbat).

Next task I'm gearing up for is to put away piles of outgrown children's clothes that have been accumulating on my dresser for years, ticking DH off.

innovative mom

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 2:55 pm
amother wrote:
Wanted inspiring?

I just put away the last few items that had been sitting in my suitcase since Pesach because I did not know what to do with them. This is huge for Shalom Bayit. My husband unpacks immediately when we return from a trip and hates when I leave stuff around. But if it's not the nine days or Shabbat, I am rarely around the house with time and energy for organizing non-public parts of the house (and I can't do that on Shabbat).

Next task I'm gearing up for is to put away piles of outgrown children's clothes that have been accumulating on my dresser for years, ticking DH off.

Good for you!!! Thanks for sharing! Very Happy

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 11:05 pm
Not all of you are at this stage yet, but to dispel boredom in the 9 Days, I can highly recommend making a wedding post Tisha B'Av...! LOL

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 12:04 am
I know many people who say we shouldn't clean up around the house during the nine days. But to me, that's sholom Bayis. And isn't that what we are trying to rebuild? If we have peace here, we can show HKBH that we have begun to be worthy for Moshiach and have Peace in His Home. My goal is to try to tidy up all the things that bother DH.

Or at least show I am making an effort at one or two things. (One big project comes to mind.) Let's be realistic here as I am not very neat!!!
And also try to not get angry when he doesn't notice. Since he didn't notice the last project that he bugged me to do for ages.
Now THATS a tikun for me!!

acccdac

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 6:39 am
I just want to add.....for some reason cleaning the floor is singled out. However, it is the only cleaning thing that is suggested to NOT do. All other cleaning (other than laundry) can be done.

but my brother just showed me a sefer and it says.

May one make repairs to the house?
All repairs and basic upkeep of the house are permitted. If walls have been damaged by mold or dampness, they may be repaired and decorated.

May one clean the house as usual?
Yes. Some have the custom not to wash the floors except when it is really necessary and on erev shabbos. The floor should not be polished.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 6:44 am
so then organizing during the 9 days should be fine according to everyone- right?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics