Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Kindle
1  2  Next

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 10:43 pm
does anyone use the app kindle on their phone to read books?And do u have any good suggestions

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:01 pm
I have the Kindle and the ibook App. I mostly use the ibook Ap except if I borrow digital books from the library because they are delivered to the Kindle App.

What would you like to know. If you are looking for recommendations for books, that's hard without knowing what books you like. I just finished Sweet Like Sugar which I enjoyed very much and now I am reading the new Harper Lee book, the sequel to To Kill A Mockingbird.

WriterMom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:02 pm
I would love to hear what you think of Go Set a Watchman. I loved TKAM, of course, and am a bit at a loss due to the reviews of GSAW.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:07 pm
What about a good intimacy book

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:08 pm
It's too soon to tell but I am not appalled by the portrayal of Atticus as less than a white knight. There always was an element of educated Southern people who would never lynch a person and would hold the law and justice to be paramount but would never accept African Americans as social equals.

WriterMom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:10 pm
See honestly I see that as more intriguing. Someone born ~1900 who totally believed in the equality of all men would be almost anachronistic/bizarre. Someone who is committed enough to the rule of law to defend a black man as Atticus did, yet still held the prejudices of his age - THAT is worth exploring, and reading about.

But so many reviews have basically said "it ruined TKAM for me" and that is what worries me.

Last edited by WriterMom on Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:17 pm
You ppl read such boring books

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:18 pm
I use the kindle app on my android, love it! I just finished the book Gone Girl. I found I incredible!

As far as intimacy books... I think you'll get this locked before you get recommendations...

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:28 pm
Those are actually classics... Apparently you like chick lit and less quality writing... To each their own I guess...

WriterMom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:30 pm
amother wrote:

Dear anonymous mother,
Would you like to share your reading recommendations with us?

nicole81

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:34 pm
amother wrote:

So sweet of you to insult the posters who took their time out to respond to your very own thread.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:34 pm
Writermom, she asked for books on intimacy. I'm assuming she means romance...

WriterMom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:37 pm
Oy, I'm still figuring out the 'colour' codewords for amothers. I didn't realize it was the OP.

Yes, if she's looking for smutty books, I can't help. If someone wants to discuss actual good books, though, I'm totally in, even if they're 'boring' ... Very Happy

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:38 pm
I read these within the past year or so, but if you don't share my taste in books this list is useless to you:

If I Stay which surprisingly lived up to the hype
The Eyre Affair was fun
The 100-Year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared - was awesome
The Bone Season - good, but I couldn't get into the series, might go back to it sometime
Landline - loved it
The Night Circus - so, so awesome
The Cuckoo's Calling, The Silkworm - really good (by JK Rowling as Robert Galbraith)
Water for Elephants (reread, still great)

malldavid

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:41 pm
Thank you indigo. I will check out gone girl

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:41 pm
Thanks for posting those recommendations gp2! I'm not the op but I'll check them out!

WriterMom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:43 pm
I LOVED Gone Girl (before the movie) - it has a twist that really caught me, although since the movie I'm not sure who's unspoiled. Her other books are better than average, but IMO not as good as Gone Girl.

The JK Rowling as Galbraith novels - ok, I'm intrigued. I loved the HP books, and have reread the whole series three times. But I never even tried the Galbraith books. Are they in any way comparable to the HP-verse? Or totally different, but still really good?

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:47 pm
OP most of the books in my list are centered around or include a romantic pairing, because well duh, everyone loves a romance Wink but they're not solely what the book is about, not the way genre romances are purely about the couple with very little world or character building.

Try them, you might like them! These are the "romantic" books:
if I stay
landline
water for elephants
the night circus

These are funny books that have some incidental romance:
the eyre affair
the 100 year old man

Misc. probably also have incidental romance
the bone season
the cuckoo's calling, the silkworm

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:50 pm
WriterMom wrote:
See honestly I see that as more intriguing. Someone born ~1900 who totally believed in the equality of all men would be almost anachronistic/bizarre. Someone who is committed enough to the rule of law to defend a black man as Atticus did, yet still held the prejudices of his age - THAT is worth exploring, and reading about.

But so many reviews have basically said "it ruined TKAM for me" and that is what worries me.

I ordered my copy and I feel the same as you. I don't want it to ruin TKAM, but I do want to see if Truman Capote's hand is evident.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:50 pm
The JK Rowling Casual Vacancy Books are completely different. I was not into Harry Potter books.

I absolutely LOVE the Elizabeth George series of mystery novels with Detective Inspector Lynley (a Lord) and Detective Sergeant Barbara Havers. They started off as very Lynley and circle centric but then concentrated on Barbara Havers who is one of my favorite characters. These aren't cozy English mysteries but are in the vein of good "literary" mysteries. Ironically, she is American but writes the quintessential Scotland yard mystery. If you like P.D. James, you would probably like Elizabeth George
books.

Gone Girl was good. I have read that The Girl on The Train would appeal to fans of Gone Girl.

I like the books of Alice McDermott quite a bit. Her milieu is her Irish American family but emotional truths about families are emotional truths.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics