Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
I don't get these 9 days recipes
1  2  Next

shoshanim999

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 12:09 am
Isn't the whole idea of not eating meat because we are in mourning? Then why do I see all these takeout stores advertising their "amazing" 9 days menus? The idea being that the food is so delicious that you won't mind at all not eating meat for 9 days. For the record I'm the first one buying these yummy dishes, but it doesn't seem to add up. Its kind of like we are taught to be tznius and cover our hair and we go ahead (including myself) and buy these outrageously priced shaetels that undoubtedly attract more attention than if I wouldn't cover my hair at all. I just don't get it!

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 12:26 am
We follow the letter of the law, and eventually hope to achieve the higher level of following the spirit of the law as well.

Bitachon101

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 12:29 am
And that is why some people take on in their avodas Hashem not to go out and eat in the 9 days and not to wear long fancy shaitels.... just sayin.
Im not saying I do or dont. But if thats where you connect - by all means go ahead and be strong in those areas and you may even have some impressed followers.
But everyone is at a dif stage in their avodah, the stores want to capitalize on the chance to enhance their income, and people like to be served on a silver spoon regardless of what where and when.

seeker

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 12:55 am
I do think there's a difference between a takeout store advertising "come check out our delicious 9 days menu!" and all the magazines featuring fancy gourmet dairy recipes that look fit for a king. The former is trying to increase their business by offering something people might need and then making them aware of it (and of course if you're buying takeout you want something that tastes good, so it's normal to advertise that your menu is 'amazing') while the latter to me seems to be trying to make a party out of something that is supposed to be mourning.

You are definitely right, though, that from the consumer point of view we should really aim to save the exciting meals for a happier time. Whatever you need to celebrate at a fancy restaurant can wait.

sushi galore

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 1:37 am
My grandmother a"h, used to say, "the nine days is not a time to starve". She made heaven food too.

kb

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 1:55 am
I just told my husband I love the nine days. No laundry, minimal cleaning, and pizza for supper every night. What could be better??! Wink

shevi82

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 2:31 am
I agree. I feel like somehow we are missing the point. The nine days are a sad time. We should feel it teach it to our children. The issue is not do you shower or not or does your Rabbi tell you fast or not, or what fancy pasta/ salmon can I make.
We should be feeling the pain and the real true sadness that we are still in galus. the Tzaar of the Shechina. We should be teaching our children what we are missing, why we are sad, and how we wait for the day that Moshiach will come and the bais Hamikdash will be rebuilt.

Frumdoc

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 2:39 am
We keep meals simple during the 9 days. But we also don't eat meat during the week the whole year round so it isn't a big deal.

Shops etc use any excuse to advertise, look at all the Tisha B'av books that get advertised, any excuse for a promotion.

black sheep

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 2:59 am
I agree. I think we are missing the point with a lot of things. Sheitels are a great example. We have become so stuck on the letter of the law that we have completely lost sight of the meaning behind anything.

myself

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 6:44 am
It actually makes me lol when I see all those adverts offering sales on new sneakers/slippers for Tisha b'Av. Essentially one should not be wearing anything new in the three weeks and slippers are no exception.

I get that some people may not have any non-leather shoes or slippers and need to buy, but Tisha b'Av is not really the time for that pair of new designer comfort shoes.

And the recipes... you would think it's Shavuos.

happybeingamom

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 7:28 am
The men in my life miss the meat and chicken very much, so all the fancy fish and pasta meals are not a replacement. The kids are on the other hand are so happy not having fleishigs.

Maya

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 8:11 am
I've been feeling like this for years. All year you throw some chicken and potatoes into the oven for dinner, while during the nine days you stand in the kitchen for hours cooking all sorts of elaborate dairy meals. Makes no sense to me.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 8:14 am
We don't do anything more elaborate during the nine days than during the year. I use the crockpot and oven to make quick to prepare meals at all times, and while I don't use the crock as much during this time because it's meaty, I make my meals the same way during the nine days. And the kids complain anyway and wish they had their chicken and turkey.

questioner

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 10:28 am
happybeingamom wrote:
The men in my life miss the meat and chicken very much, so all the fancy fish and pasta meals are not a replacement. The kids are on the other hand are so happy not having fleishigs.

I told my (young) children about the 9 days and how we are sad because we don't have a B"HMK ... so we don't have fleishigs for supper (hurray!) ... take minimal baths (no washing hair? hurray!) ... don't cut nails (I hate when you cut my nails) ... don't do laundry (except for the kids, who could care less if their clothes are clean anyway). It really didn't work too well.

But all was not lost - I somehow mentioned that children don't get treats on Tisha B'Av even though they don't fast. They asked about when mashiach comes, and I told them Tisha B'Av will be a Y"T with a big fancy seudah and dessert. That was enough to understand the tzaar of the churban and be misabel al churban yerushalayim and daven for the geulah Confused

happybeingamom

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 10:31 am
questioner wrote:
I told my (young) children about the 9 days and how we are sad because we don't have a B"HMK ... so we don't have fleishigs for supper (hurray!) ... take minimal baths (no washing hair? hurray!) ... don't cut nails (I hate when you cut my nails) ... don't do laundry (except for the kids, who could care less if their clothes are clean anyway). It really didn't work too well.

But all was not lost - I somehow mentioned that children don't get treats on Tisha B'Av even though they don't fast. They asked about when mashiach comes, and I told them Tisha B'Av will be a Y"T with a big fancy seudah and dessert. That was enough to understand the tzaar of the churban and be misabel al churban yerushalayim and daven for the geulah Confused

With little kids it is all chinuch so I am not concerned.

The older people in my family the laws of the three weeks does effect them.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 10:34 am
This week, in Niagara Falls, there will be almost NO business. My staffing levels are minimal and I am PRAYING that I will make rent. Obviously this is a different situation than if I were in Brooklyn, but I am pretty sure that those stores also worry about parnassa, and paying their staff. Darn right I am focussing on advertising this week, because I have bills to pay and I can't afford not to.

I don't have a special menu for these days but then the food is always good here.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 10:56 am
I've never heard of making fancy dairy food during the 9 days until I started reading the jewish magazines. I think what started out as a way to offer suggestions to provide variety (which is a good thing - pasta and pizza every night isnt good for you!) became an enlongated shavous. I make the pasta and pizza, we have eggs for dinner snd other breakfast for dinner foods, which I do year round anyways. I keep it simple as my round the year plan.

I never thought that real people cook fancy during the 9 days - just thought ir was a way to fill up magazine space. Are you telling me that people really cook like this?

grace413

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 11:13 am
I think we have a thread like this every year because it is indeed an issue. Not so much that people are actually doing it, but that the idea is so frequently presented.

I would never make elaborate meals anyway, so I certainly wouldn't do it now. I think some women who really like to cook feel that don't get many opportunities to make milchig so they want to make the most of it.

I'm a major carnivore but I keep hearing that many women prefer milchig.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 11:31 am
On a related note, can someone explain to me the concept of making a siyum at a nice restaurant on the 9 days on purpose? I see these flyers on a foodie Facebook group I am in and it boggles my mind. The most expensive kosher restaurant I have heard of is having a siyum each night of the nine days. SHM. I dont understand it.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 11:45 am
Maya wrote:
I've been feeling like this for years. All year you throw some chicken and potatoes into the oven for dinner, while during the nine days you stand in the kitchen for hours cooking all sorts of elaborate dairy meals. Makes no sense to me.

You can definitely make fish and potatoes quite easily in the oven and we do so.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen