Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
I don't get these 9 days recipes
Previous  1  2

saw50st8

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 11:59 am
We are going to have pizza, salmon, mac n cheese, vegetable soup with lentils, dairy tacos and maybe fish sticks and I'm not sure what else. Nothing super fancy.

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 12:40 pm
I really enjoy vegetables and fish. For me it is a great opportunity to have DH eat healthy because if I don't serve meat he will go out and get take out so I usually end up making two suppers and two lunches. I don't cook anymore elaborately during the 9 days than I usually do, I cook less because I am not cooking meat but bigger portions of fish and vegetables. I admit to hoping I will get some converts to vegetarian and fish dishes.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 12:44 pm
Then back to my question/comment - does anyone know people irl who cook like this? Or is it only the glossy maga that make us feel like its so?

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 12:55 pm
I guess I might make some of the same things I make on shavuos, but the difference is on shavuos we have a 3 course meal. In the 9 days it is one course. No dessert.

I don't get the frum magazines so I haven't seen those recipes, but I would not make rich fattening dishes like penne a la vodka or similar dishes which contain expensive ingredients like parmesan cheese. In general expensive fattening dishes get made on yom tov, shabbos, or special occasions. Not just any monday.

Its only 5 days of suppers (we never eat meat for lunch). I will probably make lentil curry, tofu stir fry, salmon, pasta and cheese, tuna patties, falafel. Thats more then 5 already. Maybe fish and chips if I find fish for a good price.

Lately ive been trying to make less meat dishes anyway during the week. I've been enjoying experimenting with tofu and lentils and other foods.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 12:56 pm
I cook the same way I cook the rest of the year. We eat meat/chicken once a week plus shabbos. I work full time so I have the same amount of time to make dinner that I have any other day. BH I don't have picky eaters or allergies which might make a difference also.

miami85

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 5:46 pm
Personally I don't get the frum stores that have their "massive summer sales" during the 3 weeks b/c that's the only way they can make any sales, but I get that they have rent to pay and that's why they do it. And, so I guess restaurants do it too. Really all they are doing is adding "WOW, AMAZING, GREAT VALUE" to their menu and maybe lowering the price $2 and people buy it.--Gotta love marketing psychology

One can say that the whole 3 weeks don't "really" apply to me-- I keep my hair covered so I don't really need to cut it--when I was single I went more than 3 weeks without a haircut. I'm at the stage of life when I don't have many weddings, and most of the music I listen to these days is for the kids anyway. New clothes? Other than MAYBE yom tov--what's that?

Chazal only decreed meat and wine restrictions, because they REALLY felt that we should not eat anything that makes us joyful--but they knew that it wasn't practical, so they couldn't enact that. And even if YOU don't aggree those two foods are associated with joy, so they were the ones to go during the 9 days." I don't hear of too many milchig weddings--as nice as Manicotti is, I never see it at weddings. I'm not a wine drinker, but there's a reason why some bottles are $75. The reason why many of us don't have meat regularly is because it's expensive, but if chazal had really gone with they way they felt, we'd never eat meat, drink wine or listen to music EVER. Thus they only made prohibitions on the actual foods that incite joy, not food that tastes extra good, or food just because you enjoy it. Prohibitions are on the klal, not the individual.

We just don't understand what it means to mourn the beis hamikdash. It's hard to mourn something that you never knew. May that feeling change b'karov!

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 10:03 am
A recipe I get, you have to eat something. I don't need them because if we eat meat on weekdays, it's usually because we had leftovers from Shabbat. But it makes sense to put dairy/pareve recipes in the recipe section of whatever around now (and also because otherwise you'd have a blank page).

But the restaurants that announce that their nine days menu is so great that people look forward to it, that seems to be a bit over the top. But it's probably hard to advertise something as "not more terrible than halachically and hashkafically appropriate" Although come to think of it that slogan might work ...

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 10:27 am
I was thinking about this thread on shabbos. Both AMI and Mishpacha had recipes that were not fancy at all. The writer even mentioned the trend of making elaborate meals that were not in keeping with the week. It was a welcome change.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen