Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
9days for the semi-incompetent cook (and picky eater kids)
Previous  1  2

DrMom

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 11:45 am
chatz wrote:
Maybe I'm on the other end of the spectrum, but what's wrong with scrambled eggs, plain pasta, and cut up vegetables for supper?

This. Do you all serve basari dinners the rest of the year except for the 9 days?

How about ravioli (you can buy refrigerated ones that you heat in boiling water), sauce, and a simple salad?

Greek salad with garbanzos and feta?

Omlettes and salad?

Lentil soup?

rachel6543

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 12:34 pm
I didn't see anyone post pizza bagels. You can get the mini bagels which are great for kids. Add tomato sauce, cheese, bake in toaster oven. Just watch carefully while they bake so they don't burn. Serve with whatever fruit/veggies your kids will eat.

How about cheesy garlic bread? Do your kids like that? My husband loves when I make this, I usually serve it with a salmon meal. I just cut French bread into thick slices. Put olive oil and a little butter on both slides. Sprinkle with lots of garlic. I also add some onion powder, pepper and, oregano. Sprinkle with some cheese on top. Bake in toaster oven until done.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 1:01 pm
How about tuna macaroni cheese casserole?

mommy43

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 2:31 pm
lasagna

fortunate123

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 5:33 pm
I make this Tuna cheese pie all the time for my picky eaters and if your kids like tuna they will probably love this. it is very simple and great for adults too. I found it on the Rachel Ray site (I omitted mushrooms from recipe).

ingredients
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 5-ounce cans tuna, drained
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups) [ I use mozzarella]
3/4 cup milk
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons butter, melted
directions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees . In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high gheat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the tuna and mayonnaise, breaking up the tuna. Stir in the onion mushroom mixture, then stir in 1 cup of the cheese.
In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, flour and butter; stir into the tuna mixture. Transfer to a 10-inch deep-dish pie pan and bake until browned, about 35 minutes. Top with the remaining cheese and broil until the cheese has melted.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 5:48 pm
banana pancakes:

ratio one banana to one egg. blend together, fry in butter. top with honey/syrup/whatever.

veggies and dips.

my mom used to blend tofu with aunt jemima pancake mix and make us pancakes for supper. we didn't notice the tofu.

yogurt parfait. let the kids layer yogurt, cut up fruit, and granola in clear cups.

ketchup sandwiches (ok, kidding about that, but I know a lot of kids who would happily eat that every night...)

cheese cubes, grapes, bread. seriously. why not?

Chickpea

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 6:47 pm
How about broccoli cheese pancakes?

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 7:53 pm
U guys are the best!

psych-student

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 5:07 am
These were all great ideas! My kids are also pretty picky so this was a great list.

Another idea you might want to try -- if you can pick up some pizza dough from your local pizza shop, you can use it to make garlic knots or calzones (or pizza, obvs). For the calzones just roll out the dough into circles (or squares), put some cheese and chopped vegetables inside, fold it over, and bake it. Yum. If you buy the pizza dough you can easily avoid the patchke (dare I write that word here).

One food my kids love is breaded chicken cutlets, so every couple of weeks I do the same thing with a very mild white fish fillet (like tilapia or sole) and they're totally fine with it. I dredge the fillets (which I cut into fingers) in flour, dip in egg, and then in flavored breadcrumbs, and fry them and serve them with rice, just like shnitzel. They love dipping them in ketchup and they call them schnitzel just like the chicken version.

You can also make a big soup with tons of vegetables and beans or barley or quinoa for protein. If your kids get nervous from the beans just blend the whole thing. My kids don't love this kind of soup but if I give it to them with a pile of the fancier garlic croutons they love it.

By the way, if your kids seriously aren't eating and you're nervous that they're not getting adequate nutrition, maybe check with your Rav. Under certain circumstances and depending on the Rav there are exceptions to this halacha and you may be able to give your kids chicken (if they would even eat that).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals